How far are you willing to go to get blemish-free, satin smooth skin? Can you shave your face?
To be honest, it sounds a bit strange. But I am not talking about the razor-mirror situation in your bathroom. The procedure I am talking about is performed by dermatologists or their aestheticians and is called dermaplaning. Never heard about it? It is a kind of scalpel facial that you get under the supervision of an expert and is more than just basic shaving. Scroll down to know everything about dermaplaning.
Table Of Contents
- What Is Dermaplaning Treatment?
- What To Expect During The Dermaplaning Procedure
- Dermaplaning At Home: How To Do It
- Dermaplaning: Aftercare
- Benefits Of Dermaplaning
- Things You Should Know Before Trying Dermaplaning
What Is Dermaplaning Treatment?
Dermaplaning is more than just shaving your face. It is a treatment in which the aesthetician uses a small scalpel to slough off the dead skin cells along with the facial hair from your face. This makes your skin silky smooth, improves the skin texture, and brightens the face.
This is a superficial method, and you will not shed a single drop of blood. Right after the procedure, you can see the brightening effect it has on your skin. It hardly takes 15 minutes to complete the procedure.
Let’s check out how it is performed.
What To Expect During The Dermaplaning Procedure
Here’s a step-by-step guide to what goes on during the procedure.
- Preparing Your Skin For The Treatment
Before the treatment starts, the dermatologist will clean your skin thoroughly. They either use local anesthesia or apply lidocaine (a medicine used to numb the area) to your face. This works for around 30 minutes. This is to make you feel comfortable during the procedure. Once your face is numb, it is cleaned again.
- The Procedure
The dermatologist uses a scalpel for shaving your skin. The doctor then gently smooths the topmost layer of the skin. You have the option to customize the procedure. You can either perform it on the entire face or a specific area. It takes 15 to 30 minutes, depending on your needs. Some people undergo dermaplaning in stages. This depends on your skin condition and your treatment needs.
If you want, you may try dermaplaning at home. Dermaplaning kits are available online. However, if you ask a doctor whether you can try it at home or not, they would suggest you to be cautious. Why? It’s not because you have a chance of hurting yourself in this process. It is because you will not get the same results (a no-brainer, indeed). However, if you want to go ahead and try it at home, get the kit and follow these steps.
Dermaplaning At Home: How To Do It
- Get good quality disposable razors. You can buy the blades or the entire kit online.
- Ensure that the blades are clean and sharp before using them.
- Clean your face with a gentle cleanser. Let it dry completely.
- Apply a bit of apricot or jojoba oil or any oil on your face.
- Stretch your skin tightly using one hand and hold it. Now, dip the blade in warm water and place the blade at an angle of 45 degrees to your skin.
- Make short strokes, starting from your hairline towards the center of your face (use downward strokes). Avoid the hairline.
- Do not apply pressure. The strokes should be feather-light and towards the hair growth.
- Once done, repeat the process, but this time, move the blades against your hair growth.
- Keep cleaning the blade in between.
- Once done, splash cold water on your face.
- Apply a light and hydrating moisturizer or a face mask. Finish with your favorite serum.
Whether you do it at home or the doctor’s clinic, after dermaplaning, you need to take care of your skin. Here’s how you can do so.
After dermaplaning, your skin will be a bit sensitive. Here is a complete skin care plan that you can start 24 hours after the procedure:
- Use a non-soap and gentle cleanser to clean your face.
- Apply moisturizer twice a day. Do it religiously for at least 7 days post dermaplaning.
- Your skin will be sensitive, and the natural barrier is compromised. So, limit your sun exposure. Sunscreen is a must whenever you are going outside. Use an umbrella or a wide-brimmed hat.
- Avoid any activity (just for 3 days) that makes you sweat a lot, such as steam rooms and heavy workouts.
- Avoid contact with chlorine (stay away from swimming pools).
- Avoid any other face treatment for at least a week.
- Avoid scratching the skin.
- Apply skin serums, especially those with hyaluronic acid, after the procedure.
- The skin might tingle for a few days. This will subside eventually.
If you are wondering whether it is worth your time or not, here are a few benefits of dermaplaning that will help you decide.
Benefits Of Dermaplaning
1. It Exfoliates Your Skin
It removes dead skin cells from your face – and that too, better than chemical peels. It is non-abrasive, which is why it is an excellent option for those with sensitive skin. It makes your skin smooth and naturally flawless.
2. It Removes Facial Hair
If done under the surveillance of a dermatologist or a professional aesthetician, you will get better results in terms of hair removal. It is because the blade used by them is a special one and much sharper than the store-bought ones.
3. It Makes Your Skin Look Fresher And Younger
Though we cannot claim that it has anti-aging effects, it can make your face appear brighter by removing the top dead layer of skin.
4. It Has No Down Time
Unlike other skin treatments, dermaplaning doesn’t have any downtime. Your face will not turn red, and you don’t need to stay inside the house all the time. But yes, you need to follow a proper skin maintenance process after dermaplaning.
5. Smooth Application Of Makeup
This is a bonus you get with dermaplaning. Your skin becomes so smooth that makeup glides like butter on it.
Thinking of trying it or booking an appointment with a professional aesthetician? Wait a bit. Go through these points before trying dermaplaning.
Things You Should Know Before Trying Dermaplaning
- Dermaplaning is suitable for all skin types. But, if you have acne or inflamed pimples, you shouldn’t go for this method.
- Dermaplaning is not going to make your hair grow thicker. It’s a misconception. Even when your hair grows back, you will not feel any difference as it is cut straight across. The texture of the new hair will be the same.
- You have to stay committed to the sunscreen and take sun protection seriously.
- The result will last a month, so you do not need to go under the scalpel quite often.
- Stay away from any other skin treatment or skin procedure to ensure the best results.
Everyone deserves healthy and beautiful skin. And dermaplaning is a procedure that gives you impressive results in no time. If you want to get rid of the peach fuzz and brighten your skin, go for it. And, of course, share your experience with us. If you have any doubts, leave a comment below.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
What is the cost of dermaplaning?
It varies from place to place. However, it should be somewhere between $75 and $150.
How often should you get dermaplaning done?
Once a month.
Can I wear makeup after dermaplaning?
Yes, you can.
How long does it take to recover from dermaplaning?
It doesn’t have any downtime. You only need to take care of your skin.