You don’t have to soak up the harmful UV rays to get the much-desired sunkissed look. You can skip the part, save your skin, and flaunt a glorious tan with spray tanning. It is an easy process, and now, spray tans are available in different strengths to give you a natural-looking sunkissed glow without causing much damage to your skin. This article discusses everything you need to know about spray tanning, safety, cost, procedure, and more. Keep reading.
In This Article
What Is A Spray Tan? How Does A Spray Tan Work?
A spray tan is an artificial way to get the classic bronzed sun-kissed look. You can think of it as a fake bake.
Spray tanning products contain DHA (dihydroxyacetone), a single active glycerin derivative. DHA triggers the amino acids of your skin, resulting in melanoidin formation. This imparts a beautiful summer glow and offers the perfect tan you desire.
We will address the burning question of whether spray tans are safe or not in the next section.
Is Spray Tanning Safe?
Yes. Spray tans are relatively safer than tanning in the sun or a tanning bed. This method does not expose the individual to UV rays and prevents the risk of skin cancer. However, spray tanning is a relatively new concept, and the scientific community is yet to form a solid opinion about the safety of spray tans.
Confused if this process will work for you? Read on to find out.
Is Spray Tanning Right For Me?
The spray tan results depend on the health and condition of your skin. People with sensitive skin types may break out in response to tanning products. Hence, conduct a patch test to know how your skin will react during the process.
You also need to determine the strength of the DHA to gain the perfect shade. For instance, those resistant to DHA may require it in greater concentrations. The intensity of light or dark spray tans depends on the skin’s response to DHA exposure.
Cost is another factor to consider when it comes to spray tanning.
How Much Does A Spray Tan Cost?
The cost of a spray tan varies as per the salon location and the professional’s experience. However, it can range between 25$ to 50$. If you want to avail salon at-home or mobile tanning services, it may range between $40 and as high as a few hundred dollars. Subscribe to a package deal if you are open to spray tanning frequently.
Check out the pros and cons of spray tanning in the following section to make an informed decision.
Is Spray Tanning Worth It?
When done correctly, spray tanning offers a glowing and healthy appearance. Spray tans come with the following skin care benefits.
Advantages Of Spray Tans
- Spray tans provide a darker skin shade without direct exposure to the sun rays, preventing the risk of photodamage, premature aging, and skin cancer. They are a viable option for regions or seasons where the sun does not shine bright and long enough to color the skin.
- Spray tans are suitable for all skin tones and types. Beauticians can customize the solution and provide the perfect glow regardless of your skin tone.
- Spray tans can mask skin blemishes, hyperpigmentation, freckles, and sunspots.
- Spray tans are quick and effective. You can enjoy long-lasting tanning results that dry in just a few minutes.
Drawbacks Of Spray Tans
Here are a few points that may discourage you from giving spray tanning a shot:
- Exposure to DHA might have potential risks, such as redness, inflammation, and dehydration.
- People who undergo spray tanning have experienced difficultly in breathing during the session. They have to wear nose filters for safety purposes.
- Finding a reliable salon at affordable rates can require heavy research and consume time.
- Self spray tans can get messy and leave behind streaks and stains.
You need to keep certain things in mind before your first spray tan session. Find out what they are below.
Preparing For A Spray Tanning Session
- Identify the skin tone that you wish to achieve after the spray tan. Always book your spray tan session two days before the event. Spray tans take about 48 hours to settle in and develop. This also leaves enough room to fix any mishaps.
- Exfoliate properly to slough off any dead skin cells as dirt and debris can lead to uneven spray tan results. It eliminates any natural oils that may prevent the adhesion of tanning agents.
- Shave your skin at least 24 hours before the tanning session for the best results.
- Avoid any self-tanning products, especially if it is your first time.
- Have a cold shower before a spray tan.
- Drink enough water before and after the spray tan session as tanning products stay longer on hydrated skin.
- Wear dark and loose-fitted clothes during a spray tan to avoid smudging.
- Apply nail polish, even if it is a clear coat, to protect your nails from staining.
- Do not use makeup, deodorant, or perfume, which can act as a barrier to your skin.
Spray tanning requires planning, right from choosing your salon to planning the session dates. Here’s what you need to look for in a spray tanning salon.
How To Find The Perfect Place For Spray Tanning
- Choose a well-ventilated salon to minimize your DHA inhalation. If airy salons are not available, go for one with exhaust fans to suck away the excess spray.
- The salon should have alcohol-free spray tans to prevent skin dryness.
- Discuss your concerns or requirements with the beautician as it gives you an idea of how they treat their customers.
- Check for low volume, low pressure (LVLP) equipment and if the establishment offers protective gear.
You may wonder how long a spray tan will last. Scroll down for your answer.
How Long Does Spray Tanning Last?
Typically, DHA-based tanning products can last about 3-10 days. The tan fades as your skin sheds its outermost layer and new skin cells replace them. Hence, the turnover rate depends on how quickly your body produces new skin.
Although not scientifically proven, the addition of erythrulose in tanning products helps enhance the longevity of your spray tan. Erythrulose helps even tone your skin and boosts its attractiveness even while the tan fades.
Check out these spray tan tips for every stage of the process to achieve successful results.
Tips And Tricks For Spray Tanning
During Spray Tan
- Strip only to your level of comfort. It is not necessary to go nude for a spray tan session.
- Take off any jewelry item.
- Apply a barrier cream to the rough areas of your body.
- Wear protective gear, such as a hair cap, nose filter, lip balm, and eyewear.
- Cover sensitive regions with cotton balls.
After Spray Tan
Your spray tan aftercare plays a crucial role in how long a spray tan will last. Here is what you can do to maximize and maintain the results:
- The spray tan takes about 4-6 hours to become effective. Hence, avoid bathing, exercising, or indulging in any physical activity that makes you sweat during this period.
- Do not swim in chlorinated water as it will neutralize the tanning products.
- Moisturize your skin daily with tan-friendly skin care products.
- Stay away from products that contain harsh chemicals, fragrant oils, exfoliating agents, and soap.
- Apply sunscreen to protect your skin and maintain the glow.
- Avoid the use of bandages, pore strips, and exfoliants.
Spray tanning is a safe and effective way to get the much-desired golden glow without harming the skin. However, if you are a beginner, you should avoid spray tanning products at home, as improper application techniques may give you blotchy results. Instead, you can visit a salon to get your first spray tan. The article will be your guide and help you understand how to prepare for the tanning session, aftercare measures and provide other necessary information. Also, always do a patch test to avoid the risk of allergic reactions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does spray tan wash off? How to wash off a spray tan?
Yes. Apply a generous layer of baby oil to your skin and sit in a warm bath for 30 minutes. Rinse off the tanners with a cold shower.
For relatively older tans, apply a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda to your skin. Wipe it with a wet tissue after 5 minutes.
How often can I go for a spray tan?
The best time for repeating your spray tan session is about 9 to 12 days.