Giving your hair a blonde makeover is always fun. But bleach contains chemicals that can impact your hair health. Bleaching lightens the hair by fading the color pigments in the strands and may make them brittle. That is why it is crucial to prepare your hair before bleaching to minimize damage. In this article, we have discussed ways to prep your hair before going blonde or platinum from dark, without any damage. Scroll down to know more!
Table Of Contents
How To Prepare Your Hair For Bleaching
1. Consider Your Hair Health
Consider the overall health of your locks before bleaching. Avoid bleaching dry, brittle, and damaged hair. If you have recently undergone chemical hair treatment, wait for at least two weeks before bleaching. Dyed, permed, and highlighted hair is also not suitable for the bleaching process as it may cause further damage.
2. Stop Using Heat Styling Tools A Week Before Bleaching
Heat styling tools like rollers, flat and curling irons, and blow dryers strip natural moisture and oils and further damage your hair. Avoid these for at least a week before bleaching. Let your hair recover from the heat damage. Keep the strands moisturized to prevent any damage that may occur during the bleaching session.
3. Avoid Washing Your Hair
Do not wash your hair a day or two before bleaching. The natural oils in the scalp act as a thin barrier between the strands and the bleach. Shampooing may wash out the natural oils. Moreover, if the hair is a little greasy, it will not affect the bleach results or color payoff. Many of the top hair color brands add essential oils to their bleaches to minimize hair damage while bleaching.
4. Applying Hair Oil
Nourishing the hair with coconut oil before bleaching will add and an extra layer of protection to the hair. Our hair is made of keratin (the hair protein), and coconut oil minimizes protein loss and strengthens the hair (1). Additionally, it also softens the hair and keeps it smooth. Start oil massage at least a week before bleaching. You may even apply a thin coat of coconut oil right before bleaching to minimize damage.
5. Apply Hair Mask For Deep Conditioning
Hair masks are the best way to deep condition your dry and damaged hair. You can get hydrating hair masks from the store or go the DIY way. Mix nourishing oils like coconut and olive oils and apply to the hair. You may also use a DIY mask by mixing yogurt, honey, banana, avocado, and egg and use it once or twice a week. For best results, start using hair masks at least two weeks before bleaching.
6. Be Honest With Your Stylist
Your hair colorist needs to know how you treated your hair before your salon appointment for hair bleaching. They need to know everything about your previous color experiments or mishaps, the frequency of chemical and color treatments, and all other hair experiments you did. This will help them understand the level of damage and adjust the formula accordingly. Also, be open to your stylist’s advice to achieve your hair color goals.
7. Consult A Professional
Consult a professional colorist or hairstylist and let the professionals evaluate your hair health. Discuss the potential damage and the number of sessions you may need to get the desired color. Consulting a professional will help you understand if your hair is ready to take the chemical blow that comes with bleaching. This will also give you an idea about pre- and post-bleach hair care and what products to use after bleaching.
Before you bleach your hair, you should be clear about the expectations and how you should treat your hair. Here are a few pointers to remember.
Points To Remember
- Do not skip any chance to moisturize your hair. Use moisturizing shampoos, conditioners, hair masks, and treatments before your salon appointment.
- Opt for multiple sessions and a gradual blonding process to minimize damage. You can get bright bleached hair in just one session, but it might not be the best decision for your hair.
- Bleached hair needs special shampoos. Purple shampoos work great for naturally blonde and bleached hair and keep it light and bright. Hence, upgrade your hair care routine.
- People with pale skin tones look fabulous in ashy and platinum shades, while people with warmer skin tones look great in golden hues. Choose your bleaching formula accordingly.
To Sum Up
Bleaching your hair needs some patience and preparedness to avoid damage. If you love changing your hair color, follow these tips to help the strands withstand the chemical procedure. Use nourishing hair products and oil to keep the hair moisturized and minimize damage. Always consult a hairstylist to understand your hair condition and be open to any advice to maintain healthy hair.
- Hair Cosmetics: An Overview
Latest posts by Sindhu Koganti (see all)
- 51 Good Morning Messages For Her In A Long-Distance Relationship - May 12, 2021
- Foods High In Copper: Why You Should Include Them In Your Diet - May 10, 2021
- Living Apart Together (LAT): An Emerging Living Arrangement - May 4, 2021
- 16 Sweet Things To Say To Your Husband - April 26, 2021
- Itchy Scalp And Hair Loss: Causes And How To Treat - April 22, 2021