In today’s scenario of stress and busy-ness, taking care of our health and body is very important. And one of the things that we should not compromise on is our skin care regime.
Have you ever paid attention to how you take care of your facial skin? No doubt, it will depend on your skin type and texture, but there are some fundamental rules that you should follow; and one of them is to avoid a facial wash under the hot shower. It is very common yet a damaging practice for the delicate skin of our faces.
So how does the hot water harm your skin and what could be the long-term effects of washing your face under the hot shower? Read further to know more about it.
1. Skin Irritation
The facial skin has a network of very fine blood vessels called capillaries underneath it. Also, there are tiny pores all over your face. These two factors make the skin extremely sensitive to high-temperature fluctuations. So, washing your face under the hot shower can shock your skin, and you may develop some reddish spots or blotches. It can be worse for acne or eczema prone skin as it may lead to severe flare-ups.
2. Removes The Natural Oils
Hot water strips off the balance of natural oils in the skin, making it dry and shriveled. This may also lead to dry cracks in the skin which are an invitation to infections and bacterial activity. Dryness also calls for more moisturizing and therefore, resulting in a more acne prone skin. However, lukewarm water poses no danger to your facial skin.
3. Aging And Wrinkling
The skin produces collagen and sebum (a wax-like substance that moisturizes the skin) that keeps it healthy and glowing. But skin dryness due to hot water can result in slowing down of collagen and sebum production and cause fine lines to appear on your face earlier than expected.
The pores on your face can be damaged due to the use of hot water. They become larger, more visible and much more sensitive. The appearance of red patches becomes very common and resembles the effect of scalding.
5. Unwanted Chemicals
Though not a direct effect, nevertheless, the shampoos and conditioners that get washed away with hot water can harm the facial skin. These strong chemical soaps and cleansers cause further damage to already open pores. Therefore, it is another reason why we should avoid washing face under the shower.
If you are wondering what could be the correct way of washing and cleansing your facial skin, we are here to help you out. Read on to find out how to take care of your face and keep it glowing and blemish free.
- Choose Lukewarm over Hot – Many people say that washing with hot and cold water respectively is good for the pores, but it is far from the truth. Ideally, you should wash your face with lukewarm water
- Clear the Layers– It is essential to remove all the traces of makeup from your face. It is because layers of foundation, concealers or long stay compacts can close and block the pores
- Cleanse that perspiration– We all remember to clean our faces post workouts, but it is equally important to clean your face before exercise too. That is because sweat makes your pores open and all the dust, minute particles or makeup can get trapped and clog the pores, which is the perfect environment for infections and acne.
- Avoid Over-cleaning- Overwashing can lead to dryness, skin irritation and patches on the skin. Use exfoliation only when necessary and not every time you wash your face.
- Charcoal masks- There is nothing like face masks containing activated charcoal. It has the ability to soak in a significant amount of impurities, yet keeping the skin naturally soft and supple.
- Only Pat Dry- You shouldn’t rub your face with a towel, rather pat it dry. Rubbing causes unnecessary stretching of the facial skin and it may cause the skin to sag and loosen up. Plus, the chances of the skin being irritated and inflamed is also very high.
- Oil Therapy- Too much of oily skin can cause acne, but a little massage with the oils that suit your skin type, replenishes your natural oil balance. It also moisturizes your face. Try some olive oil or coconut oil, and wipe it off with a soft fabric, dipped in warm water.
- Be Gentle- when you cleanse your face, handle your skin delicately. Quick scrubbing or rushing through the cleansing will only harm the skin.
- Application- When you apply cosmetics, creams, etc. remember to handle your skin carefully. Light dabs and gentle circular motions are what is needed to keep it glowing.
- Use a Good Moisturizer-A good hydration is much needed after a face wash. Choose a moisturizer that suits your skin type, be it lotion, gel or cream. Then you don’t have to worry about breakouts.
If you follow the above tips, you will earn yourself a few extra years of great looks and gorgeous skin. So, try it out and also share it for others to know.