Simply put, a facial cleanser cleanses your facial skin. It removes dirt, sweat, impurities, excess oils, and makeup, letting the skin breathe and making it ready for a moisturizer and makeup. An unclean facial skin with clogged pores is a breeding ground for acne. The buildup of dead skin cells on your face makes your face appear dull and aged. Hence, a facial cleanser is the first key to unlock a healthy skin.
How To Choose Your Cleanser:
Depending on the different skin types, here are the few ingredients that you must look out for while choosing a facial cleanser:
- Enzymes: These natural ingredients help separate the dead skin cells from the skin’s epidermis. It melts away dirt, dead cells, and other surface impurities. It enhances cell turnover process to ensure smoother penetration of moisturizing formulas. They work for all skin types.
- Salicylic Acid: Best for oily to acne-prone skin, this ingredient works wonders on congested skin. It gently exfoliates the sensitive, irritated skin, cleanses pores, revealing a softer, clearer, and supple appearance.
- Humectants: Lactic Acid, Glycerin are few of the common humectants found in cleansers. They effectively cleanse the skin while retaining the natural moisture, making the skin appear plump, healthy, and youthful. It works best for dry to normal skin types.
- Glycolic Acid: This cleansing exfoliant improves cell renewal and enhances the radiance of the skin. May not be the best for sensitive skin.
- Aloe Vera, Witch Hazel, and Willow Bark: Watch out for these essentials to soothe and nourish your sensitive skin. It helps maintain pH balance, preventing further breakouts and maintaining a bacteria-free, soft skin.
With varied types of cleansers available in the market, choosing your type can be tricky. Listed below are a few cleansers and why they work well with various skin types.
Types of Cleansers
- Gel Cleansers: With a gel-like consistency, these easy-to-glide formulas deeply cleanse the skin, exfoliate dead skin skin cells and congested pores. They kill acne-causing bacteria. It works best for oily, combination, and acne-prone skin.
- Cream Cleansers: These are creamy, moisturizing formulas that contain botanical oils. Ideal for dry and sensitive skin, these soothing cleansers don't strip off the natural oils from your skin. They are also available in the form of milks and lotions.
- Foam Cleansers: Initially, gel or creamy in consistency, these lightweight cleansers remove excess oils from the skin by turning into foam. These are ideal for oily and combination skin types. They give an enriching cleansing experience.
- Oil Cleansers: These cleansers work best in dissolving waterproof makeup, removing impurities from clogged pores. It is gentle and smooth on the skin and it is good for most skin types.
- Micellar Cleansers: These are the ones you need on the go. Without any need to wash it off, they contain oil molecules in soft water that cleanse away dirt, makeup, oil, and other impurities easily. These hydrating cleansers work best for dry and sensitive skin.
- Clay Cleansers: Best for oily and combination skin, these cleansers have a strong absorbing power. They remove oil and deep-seated debris and toxins from the pores. They purify the skin and uplift your skin appearance instantly.
- Cleansing Cloths and Wipes: With just a couple of swipes, these cleansers remove dead skin cells, while absorbing excess oil and impurities. It is good for oily and combination skin.
- Powder Cleansers: Moist and creamy when mixed with water, it gently exfoliates the skin, while retaining the natural moisture. Inspired from the age-old home remedies, this works well with oily and sensitive skin.
Keeping your skin clean and healthy preserves the natural glow and youthfulness of your face. Ideally, use a cleanser twice a day - once, in the morning, before makeup or going out and once, at the end of the day to remove makeup and dirt. Wipes can help you deal with mid-day sweating. Choose a cleanser free from sulfates, parabens, phthalates, fragrances, alcohols. A gentle, chemical-free cleanser can rejuvenate your skin from the harshness of the environment.