Smelly bodies are the biggest turn-offs. Nobody wants to be one of those people. Nobody wants to meet any of those people. Deodorants have made their way to our daily routine to stay fresh, fragrant, appealing all day long. Apart from masking bad odor from your body, they also boost your confidence.
StyleCraze Reviews brings to you the best of deos for both men and women.
Bacterial breakdown on our skin leads to sweating on the pits of our body. Armpits, groin, feet, knee folds are often prone to perspiration. Deodorants help to avoid the smell of sweat from lingering. Mostly formulated with alcohol, deodorants turn the skin acidic, which prevents bacteria. They also help in killing odor-causing bacteria.
Antiperspirants, a type of deodorant, are Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs. These are formulated with aluminium-based compounds that block sweat glands and prevent sweating. Aluminium chloride, aluminium chlorohydrate complexes, aluminium zirconium complexes are some common active ingredients used. These melt and form a gel near the top of the skin. This helps the skin to absorb less sweat than in general.
Why Use Deodorants or Antiperspirants?
Sweat causes excess heat production which affects the skin’s moisture. The dampness of the skin caused by the bacterial breakdown of sweat causes odor. Deodorants or antiperspirants break down the bacteria to preserve moisture and mask the odor with perfume or fragrance.
Types of Deodorants
- Aerosols: These spray-on deodorants settle into a powdery finish when dry. Ideal for sharing, these deodorants offer a cooling sensation when applied.
- Roll-ons: These deodorants offer good protection against sweating. They feel cool and wet when applied. However, they aren’t ideal to be shared as they are to be applied on the skin directly.
- Gel or Cream: Gel or cream deodorants are thick liquids that dry up on the skin when applied.
- Invisible Solids: If residue of deodorants on clothes bother you, invisible solids are meant for you. They are powdery sticks that are dry and clear when applied.
- Solids: These powdery and dry deodorants are the same as above. However, they leave a bit of residue on clothes often.
- Crystal: Made of natural mineral salts, crystal deodorants are the ideal choice for sensitive skin.
- Wipes: Deodorant wipes are single-use and disposable. Ideal for trips and one-time use, these can be easily shared and can be disposed of conveniently.
- Scented or Unscented Deodorants: You can always choose your choice of deodorants. A scented one will work well if you aren’t pairing it up with perfume. An unscented one will go great to control your sweat and odor if you are using a perfume on top.
Ingredients found in Deodorants
- Aluminium: Frequent use of antiperspirant can lead to the accumulation of aluminium. This might affect the estrogen receptors of breast cells. However, a very tiny amount of aluminium is absorbed into the skin harmlessly. Many researchers also state that there’s no link between breast cancer and deodorant products.
- Parabens: Parabens imitate estrogen through endocrine disruption. They are considered carcinogenic. In deodorants, they prevent fungi, bacteria, and yeast from growing. However, it is not enough to heighten the risk of breast cancer.
Over the years, research suggests that deodorants or antiperspirants don’t cause cancer. A more defined research is still required. While deodorants improve skin acidity, antiperspirants help in reducing sweat. While there are plenty out there, we have curated a list of the bests for you.
Best-selling Deodorants for Sensitive Skin
- Dove Advanced Care Sensitive Anti Perspirant Deodorant
- Native Women’s Deodorant Unscented Sensitive
- Corpus Natural Deodorant
- Vichy-24 HourDry-Touch Deodorant
- Whish Deodorant Swipe
- Myro+ Deodorant
Best-Selling Alcohol-Free Deodorants or Best-Selling Natural Deodorants
- Dr. Mist Unscented All Natural Spray Deodorant
- Crystal Mineral Deodorant Stick
- Megababe Rosy Pits Daily Deodorant
- Blossom to Bath Natural Deodorant
- Native Deodorant
- Kopari Coconut Deodorant
Best Deodorants for Skin Whitening
- Nivea Extra Whitening Pore Minimizer Roll-On Deodorant
- Nivea For Women Invisible Deodorant Roll On
- Nivea Whitening Smooth Skin Deodorant Roll On
- Crystal Deodorant Mineral Roll On
- MAGSOL Magnesium Deodorant