If you are enthusiastic about achieving flawless skin, the one skincare item that you CANNOT overlook is a skin toner. A facial toner is a mid-step between a cleanser and a moisturizer. It restores the pH balance of the skin and refines the skin texture. A toner removes excess oil from skin pores, deep-seated makeup, and dirt, and makes your skin clear and ready so that it can easily absorb hydration and nourishment from your moisturizer. A toner is that secret in skincare that doubles the benefits of the rest of the regimen.
Often confused with an astringent that is only meant to reduce the size of skin pores, a toner is multifunctional - it tones the skin evenly, tightens skin and removes deep-seated impurities. Each skin type has a different requirement of its own and hence, requires a different toner to benefit the most.
Types of Toners
- Salicylic Acid And AHAs For Acne-Prone Skin: A facial toner is a must and a boon for acne-prone skin. The presence of salicylic acid does the job of removing excess oil, exfoliating clogged dead skin cells easier, bidding adieu to acne breakouts. It boosts collagen production and promotes the growth of healthy skin cells. AHAs nourish the skin and add a healthy glow while clearing skin flakes.
- Lactic Acid, Aloe Vera, Chamomile For Combination Skin: Although closer to the natural pH levels of the skin, a combination skin still requires soothing and hydrating properties in a facial toner. Lactic Acid, Aloe Vera, Chamomile will soothe redness, calm the irritated skin and cleanse the gentle skin well.
- Glycerin and Essential Oils For Dry Skin: Alcohols are a big no-no for such skin types. Using a glycerin-based toner will moisturize, soften, and nourish the skin. Essential oils will soothe, hydrate, and shower some extra love on these skin types.
- Aloe Vera, Algae or Amino Acids For Sensitive Skin: Doing away with toners that contain sulfates, alcohols, fragrances, is the first step to embracing your sensitive skin. Using hydrating toners filled with amino acids or algae benefit sensitive skin. It effectively cleanses the skin without irritating it.
- Antioxidants, Aloe Vera, Essential Oils For Mature Skin: These ingredients will warm up and protect the aging skin against free radicals and other environmental harshness. It will soothe and nourish the skin without leading to breakouts and will help slow down skin aging. It will make the skin appear youthful and healthy.
- Witch Hazel or Bentonite Clay For Oily Skin: A natural astringent, Witch Hazel does wonders to tighten the skin and hold on to its elasticity and beauty. Bentonite Clay purifies the skin, removes excess oils, and controls the shine for a clear and bright appearance.
- Rose Water, Vitamin E, Hyaluronic Acid, and Coenzyme Q10 For Normal Skin: A balance of the best, a normal skin requires these ingredients to maintain the skin’s hydration and suppleness for a healthy, fresh appearance.
Know your skin type and add a suitable toner to your skincare regime. Use it in the right amounts, twice a day after cleansing and before moisturizing your skin. Pick your best alcohol-free, soap-free, and fragrance-free, and synthetic skin conditioner-free toner to achieve glowing, even-toned, even-textured skin.