Baking soda, aka sodium bicarbonate, is undoubtedly one of the most versatile kitchen ingredients. Starting right from its usage in the pantry as an ingredient to bake food to being used for cleaning, baking soda is an all-purpose magical item. The best part – it can also be used as a cheap DIY alternative to many expensive beauty treatments.
One such way in which you can use baking soda is a shampoo. It improves the quality of hair and promotes its growth as well. It is so effective that you can feel the difference just after 2-3 treatments. Those who have used the baking soda shampoo have stated that it is way better than using those expensive and chemical-laden shampoos. So, without further ado, let’s check out how to prepare this shampoo at home.
What You Need
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 5-6 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 drops of essential oil
How To Prepare And Apply The Baking Soda Shampoo
- Firstly, take a bowl and add baking soda and water to it. The quantity will depend on the length of your hair. Just make sure that you add them in 1:3 ratio. Mix the ingredients until a smooth paste is formed.
- Start by applying it from your scalp to the ends of your hair (your hair should be wet). Once you’re done, leave it on for around five minutes.
- Now, rinse your hair with warm water.
- Once you are done with washing, prepare the apple cider vinegar solution. To make this, take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and add 2-3 drops of any essential oil (rosemary, lavender on any other oil of your choice). Mix them well and then apply to your hair. Make sure it doesn’t go into your eyes. The apple cider vinegar solution will act as a natural conditioner to your hair.
In the beginning, you might find it bit weird to wash your hair with this shampoo because we are used to shampoos that get foamy. But your hair will feel absolutely normal after few washes. Your hair will be much more healthier, shinier, and stronger.
Apart from this, there are many other ways in which you can use baking soda. Some of them are mentioned below:
1. As A Face Scrub.
You can give yourself an invigorating face scrub by mixing baking soda and water in 1:3 ratio and rubbing this mixture gently on your face in a circular motion. Rinse your face with cold water. You can also use the same solution as a body scrub.
2. You Can Also Use It As A Deodorant.
Ditch those deodorants that are loaded with chemicals and dab a little bit of baking soda to your underarms. You will feel fresh all day long as baking soda helps in neutralizing the body odor.
3. Use It As A Mouth Freshener.
Mix a tablespoon of baking soda in half glass of water and use this solution as a mouth rinse. All you have to do is swish, spit, and rinse.
4. You Can Also Make A Toothpaste Out Of Baking Soda.
The baking soda toothpaste is actually one of the best alternatives to those commercial toothpastes containing fluoride. You can take a teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Use it to clean your teeth. Or else, for an extra boost, you can dip your toothbrush with toothpaste on it into baking soda and then brush your teeth.
5. It Can Be Used To Treat Itchy Skin And Insect Bites.
To treat itchy skin or insect bites, you can make a thick paste of baking soda and water and then apply this solution on the affected area. Keep it on for some time, then wash it off with water.
6. You Can Use It To Clean The Microwave.
Take a clean and damp sponge and sprinkle some baking soda over it. Now, wipe the microwave with this sponge. It will clean the microwave without leaving any pungent odor behind.
7. You Can Use Baking Soda To Remove Oil And Grease Stains.
Sprinkle some baking soda over the stain, leave it on for some time, and then scrub it off gently with a wet brush. The stain will be gone in a jiffy.
8. It Can Also Be Used To Deodorize The Refrigerator.
Keep a tablespoon of baking soda in a small bowl and place it at the back of your fridge. Doing this will neutralize the odor.
9. You Can Also Use It To Deodorize Your Trash Cans.
Sprinkle some baking soda at the bottom of your dustbin. This will keep the stink at bay.
10. You Can Use Baking Soda To Freshen Your Closets.
This is an eco-friendly way to keep your clothes fresh. Keep a box of baking soda in one of the shelves of your closet, and your clothes will start smelling fresh.
11. Deodorize Your Stinky Sneakers.
You can keep your shoes stink-free by sprinkling some baking soda into them at night. Shake it out in the morning before wearing them again.
12. You Can Use It To Clean Your Floor.
Add a half cup of baking soda to a bucket of warm water and use this solution to clean the floor. Your tiles will shine like never before!
So, these are the thirteen economical ways in which you can use baking soda. Did we miss anything? Do you use baking soda for any other purpose? Please share your views in the comments section below.