No one likes a sweaty underarm with a stinky odor as we all know how embarrassing it is to face people if we are emitting a foul smell.
Sweating is the body’s natural way to get rid of heat. However, there are a few people who sweat excessively. This disorder is known as hyperhidrosis. But, it is not the sweat that causes the bad odor. The odor develops when bacteria feed off the sweat that is produced. These bacteria grow quickly in the moist environment, and therefore, sweaty armpits are their ideal home.
Some other factors that lead to offensive body odor are
- Poor hygiene
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Spicy food
- Genetic metabolic disorders
- Chronic constipation
- Liver disease
- Excessive caffeine intake
- Fabrics that we are wearing
The Science Behind The Odor
Perspiration (sweating) is a natural process that is caused mostly due to increase in temperature, exercise, or stress. It becomes a nuisance when the perspiration comes in contact with the bacteria on the skin. Experts say that “sweat itself doesn’t stink, but when coupled with dead skin cells, it creates a medium for bacteria to grow. When the bacteria breaks down the sweat into acids, the unpleasant odor is created.”
You can use antiperspirant lotions or deodorants to get rid of this odor. The antiperspirant lotions contain aluminum chloride that works on reducing the amount of sweat produced. Deodorants do not prevent or control the sweat. Instead, they help to conceal the body odor by giving off a significant scent.
However, since these products are made out of chemicals, they do have side-effects and can cause skin allergy or rashes. Thus, it is always a better idea to get rid of body odor with the help of natural remedies.
One ingredient that works wonderfully in getting rid of underarm odor is cornstarch.
Cornstarch is a very common kitchen ingredient. Though it is basically used in baking, the uses of this pantry item go way beyond that. A few of its amazing uses include curing sunburn, treating oily skin, getting rid of stains from clothes, treating burns, as a dry shampoo, as a face cleanser, and killing insects or pests at home. And the best part – cornstarch can be used to get rid of underarm odor.
You might be thinking, how is it possible?
Cornstarch comes in two types – brown cornstarch and white cornstarch. Using brown cornstarch is the best way to get rid of body odors. It works as an absorbent and absorbs the moisture from the skin. This helps to keep the skin dry, as a result of which, the skin is less infected by bacteria. Thus, it helps in reducing sweat and body odor.
How To Use Cornstarch To Get Rid Of Underarm Odor
Here is how you can apply cornstarch to your underarms to get rid of the unpleasant odor.
- Bathe as usual and pat dry the underarms.
- Apply rubbing alcohol on the underarm, followed by cornstarch.
- Dust the excess powder. The application of powder will reduce the formation of sweat and odor.
Make sure you wash your underarms daily.
You can also sprinkle cornstarch in your shoes. This will help in absorbing the perspiration and getting rid of odor from your stinky shoes.
You can make the hack more effective by mixing cornstarch with baking soda. When baking soda is applied to the underarms, it absorbs sweat, kills bacteria, and act as a deodorant. Since cornstarch is a great absorbent, both can be mixed and applied to the armpits to get rid of both sweat and odor.
Cornstarch As Deodorant
Cornstarch, with its ability to absorb the moisture, is a great ingredient for preparing a natural deodorant. You can make this deodorant yourself!
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons of baking soda
- 5 tablespoons of warm coconut oil
- 4-5 drops of tea tree oil (for the smell)
How To Prepare A Natural Deodorant
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix it well. Work on the lumps.
- Transfer this paste into a roll-on bottle or in a jar. You can apply this paste as a deodorant. A cheap and a natural deodorant, what more could you want?
Some other ways In which you can get rid of body odor:
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a great ingredient for decreasing the pH level of the skin. Even if you have sensitive skin, you can apply lemon juice on your underarms and get rid of body odor. Here’s how you can apply it:
- Cut the lemon into two or more pieces and rub it on your underarms.
- Extract the juice out of the lemon pieces and keep it in the refrigerator to use it later.
- If your skin is too sensitive, you can dilute the juice by adding water and then applying it to your underarms with the help of a cotton ball.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar is another great home remedy to get rid of odor from the armpits. It also makes you feel fresh. Here’s how you can use apple cider vinegar.
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in the apple cider vinegar.
- Rub this cotton ball on your armpits. Once you apply it to your underarms, make sure not to use any deodorant over it.
- You can also put apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on your armpits after the bath.
Applying vinegar after shaving can cause a burning sensation. So avoid applying it for at least two days after shaving.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree is a herb that helps in killing bacteria and fungi on the skin. The oil has a unique scent that removes body odor. Try this:
- Add 4-5 drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon water and mix well.
- Apply this mixture to your underarms daily. You can also store it in a spray bottle and use it as a deodorant.
Sage can help in decreasing the production of sweat and prevent bacteria from acting on the skin. It also has a natural scent that conceals the body odor. You can mix an equal quantity of olive oil and sage oil and apply it to your underarms daily.
Dos To Get Rid Of Underarm Odor
- Bathe daily (if you sweat a lot, bathe twice a day).
- Drink plenty of water.
- Shave your underarms regularly.
- Wear cotton clothes.
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
- Avoid eating garlic and ginger.
- Try to avoid stress.
- Avoid caffeinated beverages.
After reading this article, I hope you will not have to bother about getting rid of underarm odor again! Try these out and let us know your experience.