There were times when ladies were supposed to act in a certain way, and they had to follow a set of rules on how to act in public. Believe it or not, there were rules to be followed when they were at home too. Every individual, whether deserving or not, would scrutinize the poor soul if she faltered even for a little while.
Thankfully, the times have changed and women have started getting their fair share of independence. Yet, there are still protocols and etiquette that a woman should follow (or try to follow) if she wants to live a hassle-free social life. These are not to be confused with ‘rules’ that need to be followed. These are just a few social graces, which makes life easier for us dear ladies and even, sometimes, for the people around. Some of these so-called ‘rules’ fall under basic politeness, while some simplify our lives and lend us charisma.
Here, we have listed the top 22 etiquette rules that can add charm to your already pleasant personality. And don’t be scared of this number, these are simple rules that are easy to remember!
1. If there are guests visiting your house, the first room that you should introduce them to is the bathroom. This will give them an opportunity to freshen up before meeting others and they would be more relaxed.
2. Many guests bring gifts for the host. If those gifts include some edible or drinkable items, then put them on the table so that everyone can enjoy the goodies. This is sure to get you some brownie points!
3. If you have to leave a party earlier than anticipated, you should only inform the hosts as other guests should not follow suit.
4. If the café or the restaurant that you are visiting seems stifling, first and foremost always inform the waiter who is attending to you.
5. Never show the contents of your purse to anyone in public or even otherwise.
6. The only place to brush your hair, when at a public place, is the ladies’ room. You can retouch your makeup in there, but shouldn’t apply lipstick. This is helpful in maintaining hygiene as well.
7. It is considered rude if you refill your own glass. Please ask someone who is sitting next to you to do the needful.
8. Never shout to someone who is in the other room, even when you are at your home.
9. While approaching the table never go for the best place. Always occupy the place that is nearest to you. Small things matter much!
10. While eating soup from a bowl place the spoon outside the bowl (on the plate that is placed under the bowl) in between sips and also when you are finished. The spoons are generally quite big and may fall off once the bowl is empty. However, if the soup is served in a soup plate, the spoon needs to be inside the plate after finishing the soup and not on any other plate.
11. Never loop your fingers around the cup while drinking tea. The right way to hold a teacup is to use your index finger and thumb while your middle finger is used for support. This rule, however, is sometimes relaxed if you are having coffee.
12. You should not place your hat or purse on the desk.
13. It is not advisable to sit with your legs crossed, especially if you are sitting on a low chair.
14. The right place for your overcoat is in the cloakroom. If there is no cloakroom available, place your belongings on hangers.
15. Talking about cloakrooms, the only thing you are allowed to do in there is fix your hair.
16. Let us talk about cars now. A lady should always slide in and out of a car. This action not only looks graceful, but it also helps you to adjust your dress while doing so.
17. While we are on that topic, you should leave everything in the cloakroom, except your purse. However, sometimes you are allowed to wear your coat inside.
18. It is okay if your boyfriend takes you to your car.
19. If a lady owns a car her boyfriend does not need to pick her up.
20. You can sit in the backseat of a car with a man you are already acquainted with.
21. Whatever your mood is, it should never affect your manners.
22. Keep your smartphones away when you are out with your friends.
Now, aren’t these rules really simple to remember? These are little things that people notice no matter how subtle they are. We are sure that if you adopt these skills, grace and poise are going to be your best friends for life.
Some of these rules might come easily to you, while some might need a little practice. Please remember that manners and etiquette are an extension of your personality. So, ladies, it’s your time to ace the grace!