Aging brings many changes to your body, and one of the least welcome ones is a turkey neck. Imagine noticing yourself in the mirror after a long time and seeing a wrinkly, wobbly bit of skin hanging under your chin. Nightmare, right? Turkey neck is an unappreciative expression for wrinkled, saggy skin below the neck. It mainly results from weakening neck muscles which lets the skin hang loosely. Now, before you start to panic and resort to cosmetic surgeries to tighten your skin, we’ve got some easy home remedies for you. But prior to that,, let us look into the main reasons that lead to dealing with a turkey neck besides old age.
What causes the development of dreadful waddles like the traditional Thanksgiving bird, you ask? The most common cause of Turkey neck is aging and the decrease in collagen levels in the skin. If either or both of your parents have wobbly skin under their necks, there is a chance you will inherit it too. It depends on your skin type. If your parents had loose skin on their necks, there is a great chance that you would also develop one. So take the skincare expert’s advice and use your moisturizer and other facial serums on your neck too. If you include that in your routine at an early age and continue the practice, your skin would be in a much better condition and stay smooth.
Did you enjoy sunbathing without caring for the sunscreen lotion when you were young? It’s all fun and games till the UV radiation soaks into the inner layer of skin and damages vital cells responsible for elasticity. It is easy to identify frequent sunbathers based on their tanned, wrinkled, and leathery skin. Now, because sun damage can affect collagen production, it’s natural that it can cause facial skin to waste its elasticity and turn wrinkly. One way to lessen the chance of sun-related damage is to apply a strong sunscreen and not head out while the sun is shining at its peak.
It is no surprise that smoking tobacco of any kind through pipes, cigars, or cigarettes will cause damage to the skin cells. Apart from the slow destruction of your internal organs, smoking can cause damage to your epidermis i.e., the surface of your skin. Not only does the epidermis get stripped of your natural oils, the skin tends to lose its freshness too. When you smoke, your skin begins to lose its suppleness and glow way faster than usual. Smoking also deprives the body of oxygen, which can be detrimental to your skin. People who smoke often have deep-seated wrinkles, rough skin, and droopy turkey necks.
We understand your urge to lose the excess holiday weight as fast as possible, but it has to be done for a long period of time and in the right way. If you gain more calories than you burn, your body will store them in your body as extra fat. The skin’s elasticity goes to the point of breaking to take in the additional cushioning. Your neck and face are no exception to it. If you’re obese and have a large amount of fat, it will reflect as a double chin under your face. When your body gets rid of excess fat deposits, it can be challenging to stretch your skin to regain its shape, and it often results in a hideous turkey waddle.
Exercises That Treat Neck Pain
Regularly exercising your neck muscles will help to strengthen them. It will also increase your blood flow through the neck to your brain. Here are some of the most common exercises that are proven to reduce loss of skin.
1. Forehead Push
How to do it-
- Place both your hands on your forehead.
- Allow your head to go forward.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds.
- Now pull forwards using your neck.
- Hold this pose for 10 seconds.
How to do it-
- Keep your back straight.
- Retract your head, so your chin faces the ceiling.
- Keep your lips shut and create a chewing motion by putting your lips together.
- You can also use sugar-free chewing gum if you feel chewing air is a problem.
- Repeat it 20 times at a sitting.
How to do it-
- Relax your back and sit with your legs straight.
- Move your head up so that your chin faces the ceiling while keeping your lips shut.
- Exude your lips as if you were kissing.
- Repeat it 20 times at a time.
4. Neck Lift
How to do it-
- Stand with your head suspended backward.
- Slowly lift your head high to employ the neck muscles.
- Repetition five times.
- Don’t continue the exercise if your neck starts hurting.
5. The Gulping Fish
How to do it-
- Look at the ceiling and place your right hand on your collarbone, gently apply downward pressure.
- Place your lips around your teeth and open and close your mouth rapidly.
- Repeat the movement five times.
- Switch hands and do it again five more times.
6. The Upward Facing Dog
- Keep your back straight while you lie down.
- Straighten your arms by putting your elbows under your shoulders.
- Push your head up and tilt your chin forward, so your body is in a C-position.
- For several seconds, hold and then return to the beginning.
7. The Swallowing Stretch
- Return to your sitting position and look at the ceiling.
- Turn your head inward and press your tongue against the roof of your mouth. Then, swallow.
- Keep your head tipped back, your tongue pressing against the roof of the mouth, and then turn your head to your right to swallow.
- Revert to the original position and swallow.
- Turn your head to the right and swallow.
- Repeat 4 times.
This issue might not seem like a major problem to some, but many don’t realize that this is one of the main signs of aging. Even if you are in your prime youth, these creases can add unnecessary years to your appearance. And now that you know the exercises to keep your neck toned, you can maintain the fear of loose skin at bay! Always remember, there is nothing a good diet and proper exercise can’t heal. So, do you have any secret to keeping the perfect jawline? Let us know in the comment section.