Dark spots can mar your beauty and force you to put on layers of foundation even when you want to achieve the ‘natural look.’ While tons of creams and cosmetics offer freedom from these dark spots, you already know that the cheap ones don’t work, and the expensive ones are just, well, way too expensive. Good news for you then! There are home remedies that work just as well as these costly ointments. In fact, oats and lemons are particularly good for your dark spots. But before we get into the details of the natural remedies you can try, let’s take a look at what causes these pesky spots so you can be in a better position to decide the best course of action.
The Reasons Behind Dark Spots
Dark spots can be caused by a lot of things. Seriously. A lot. However, no matter the cause, you can be sure that your dark spots can be treated. Here’s a list of the most common causes:
- If you are regularly exposed to the sun, you are more likely to develop dark spots.
- An imbalance in your hormones can also cause your skin to be patchy.
- Pregnancy hormones can have the same effect.
- Tumors in your pituitary gland can give rise to pigmentation in certain areas of the body.
- If you are extremely stressed out, you may get pigmentation.
- Lack of vitamins, such as C, B9, B12, etc., is to be blamed for the occurrence of dark spots.
- Even medication can be held responsible, and these include tetracyclines, estrogens, and phenytoin.
- Lack of sleep is another common cause.
- And lastly, aging can give rise to dark spots.
Now that we know the causes, let’s take a look at the home remedies to get rid of dark spots.
Super Effective Natural Remedies For Your Dark Spots
These remedies are safe, so you can try them without worrying.
1. Juice Of A Lemon
As we stated earlier, the lack of vitamin C can cause pigmentation (1). Lemons are quite a brilliant source of this particular vitamin and can actually help lighten your skin. This natural bleaching agent has acidic properties, which can be very effective.
The best part is that this home remedy is very easy to do. All you need to do is squeeze the juice of a lemon and apply it directly onto your skin with the help of a cotton ball. Let it dry completely before you wash it off. If you have sensitive skin, make sure you dilute the juice with honey or rose water.
Buttermilk is rich in lactic acid and can improve the health of your skin in more ways than one. It not only helps in removing dark spots, but also brightens your skin and improves your complexion overall. In fact, buttermilk is best for you if you have sensitive skin as the chances of side effects are almost zero.
You can use buttermilk the same way as lemon juice, i.e., apply it directly and let it dry, or you can add some honey to it. You can also add tomato juice to buttermilk if you want a stronger effect as tomato is a natural bleaching agent.
Exfoliation is another method to get rid of dark spots, and oats can help you with that. A simple oatmeal mask can remove dead skin cells and help you achieve a brighter complexion.
To make this mask, you will need to grind half a cup of oats and add two to three teaspoons of lemon juice to it. Apply this paste on your skin and wash off with lukewarm water when it’s dry.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is indeed a blessing for the skin! It is a miracle worker that can help treat a host of skin issues, dark spots being one of them (2).
It is most effective if you apply the gel of the aloe vera plant directly onto your skin instead of using the prepackaged one. You will need to leave the gel on your skin for 30-45 minutes before washing it off. Doing this regularly can help you achieve glowing skin.
5. Sugar Cubes
Yes, the ordinary sugar cubes can work too! These cubes contain a chemical compound known as glycolic acid, which can act as a natural peel (3). Just scrub the cubes on your dark spots gently to get blemish-free, glowing skin.
While the general rule is that natural remedies are side effect-free, it is best to do a patch test first. Also, keep your allergies in mind before trying any of these remedies. Once you try these remedies out, you’ll never feel like going back to those expensive cosmetics as these are super mild and super effective.
Latest posts by Tanya Arora (see all)
- I Tried This Regimen And My Skin Transformed Like A Miracle Within A Month - April 22, 2019
- Glowing Complexion Can Be Yours With OMVED’s All Skin Types Ubtan - January 23, 2019
- This All Natural Night Cream Is The Only One that Truly Works! - January 2, 2019
- Wake Up To Flawless Skin Every Day With OMVED’s Gotu Kola Gold Leaf Night Cream - January 2, 2019
- OMVED’s Buckwheat Pillow Is The Key To Perfectly Sound Sleep - January 2, 2019