Who would have thought that a tiny stick of lip balm that you carry everywhere would be something you couldn’t let go of even when you didn’t really need it. Unfortunately, lip balm addiction is real, and even though it is not as dangerous as other addictions, it sure will increase your dependence on the balm. It can also prevent your lips from being able to retain the moisture by themselves. While you would think it is absolutely harmless to roll the balm over your lips once in a while, before you know it, you are doing it more frequently than ever. Here are some signs that prove you are addicted to lip balm and some remedies to keep your lips moisturized naturally.
- You don’t own just one lip balm. There is one in your purse, one at your desk, and one in the makeup cupboard, just in case one gets lost.
- You carry a purse of the perfect size to fit in your lip balm, and you have one that you never share with your friends.
- You finish the entire stick before it can get misplaced!
- You shop for lip balms more than lipstick and other makeup products.
- If you got a one-on-one offer on lip balms, you would probably buy a dozen of them.
- Even if your best friend asked you for a lip balm, you would not give your favorite one to her. Instead, you probably keep a spare one just for this scenario.
- If your nearby drugstore ran out of lip balms, it would be doomsday for you.
- You are open to experimenting with every new lip balm flavor on the market.
- When you see someone else applying a lip balm, you develop an unbreakable bond with them.
- 15 minutes without rolling your lip balm feels like a long time. You might even get withdrawal symptoms!
- You know that no lipstick can look as natural as a lip balm, and so even if you wear lipstick, it will be after you moisturize your lips with coats of lip balm.
If you could relate to any of those points, you already love your lip balm more than you know. Here is why being addicted to lip balm threatens your lip health.
- It Becomes A Habit
You could like the smooth feeling after rubbing the balm, but it might be the ingredients that allow you to get the tingly feeling. Ethanol, menthol, and mint are ingredients that cause the skin to feel fresh. However, if you are doing it more for the behavioral addiction than to soften your lips, you might want to keep a check on it. It will make you dependent on it, and before you know it, it becomes your precious!
- It Dries Your Lips Further
The more you use a lip balm to moisturize your lips, the more it can make you lick your lips or wipe them away to apply more. The more contact you make with your lip , the more it robs them of moisture. Saliva might feel like an immediate source of hydration, but it is counterintuitive .
Here are some common ingredients found in lip balms that you should avoid.
- Octinoxate or oxybenzone
- Salicylic acid
- Flavoring with mint, cinnamon, peppermint, and citrus fragrance
- Propyl gallate
- The Ingredients Could Cause Allergic Reactions
Even though using a lip balm from trusted brands can keep you from worrying, it may make your lips swell up like a bee sting if you are allergic to a particular ingredient. There could also be redness and unusual chapping. Therefore, it is best to read the ingredients before rubbing them on your lips right away.
- How To Use Your Lip Balm The Right Way
Now that you know how you can go wrong even with a lip balm, we will help you choose the right one and apply it without getting dependent on it.
- Do not go for fragrant lip balms. Avoid ingredients like:
- Castor seed oil
- Mineral oil
- Hemp seed oil
- White petroleum jelly
- Shea butter
- While they will give your lips a shine and make them look hydrated, you will lick your lips, leading to the drying cycle.
- Use lip balms with sunscreens. The sun can dry your lips faster than you think. So opt for lip balms with SPF higher than 30. Also, look for ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium oxide.
- Drink a lot of water. There is nothing better than keeping hydrated when maintaining good skin care. Parched lips are the first sign that you are not drinking enough fluids. You can also use a humidifier to keep your skin hydrated.
So now that you know how to keep your lips healthy and beautiful without a lip balm, you won’t have to spend your hard-earned money buying one lip balm after another. It is always fun to add a tint and flavor to your lips but make sure you do it once in a while. Do not depend on any product to keep you feeling pretty. So, do you know anyone guilty of lip balm addiction? Mention them in the comments section!