Nobody likes to have wrinkles on their face. But eventually, we’re all going to get a few lines because we are aging and nobody can stop time. Aging is a beautiful, natural phenomenon but that doesn’t mean that we can’t slow it down. Following a healthy lifestyle and taking care of your body and mind can have magical impacts on your overall health! This includes the signs of aging and their appearance on your skin. Not taking care of your wrinkles can make you look much older than your actual age. Also, wrinkles can ruin your makeup by creating an uneven surface beneath.
To know how to prevent or lighten the wrinkles on your face, it’s important to know more about the formation of wrinkles and their different types. In this article, we will introduce you to the most common wrinkle types along with different tips to treat them. You can thank us later *star eyes.* So, let’s get started, shall we?
What Are Wrinkles And What Causes Them?
Wrinkles are lines and creases that appear on your skin as you age. They are more prominent in the areas that are exposed to the sun more often than the rest. For example, you’ll have more visible wrinkles on your face, neck, and hands in the beginning. As you age, the fat in the inner layers of your skin reduces and results in sagging. Also, the decreased amount of natural oils will make your skin dry, less elastic, and prone to creases. The exposure of UV rays in the sunlight will speed up the aging process and worsen the wrinkles. These rays break down the connective tissues of the skin which contain collagen and fibers hence making the skin weak and lowering its flexibility. The other causes of wrinkles are smoking and repeated facial expressions (1).
What Are The Different Types Of Wrinkles?
The different types of wrinkles that you get can reveal a lot about you. If you’re somebody who frowns a lot or if you’re someone who laughs a lot, your wrinkles can show it. There are 7 types of wrinkles that can form on your face. Let’s take a look at what are these.
- Forehead Lines: These lines run horizontally on your forehead just like what the name suggests.
- Worry Lines: These lines look like an “11” in between your brows and extend towards your forehead. If you’re someone who gets angry or stressed easily, beware of these.
- Bunnies: If you are someone who crinkles up your nose when you laugh or make other facial expressions, you might have the bunny lines.
- Crow’s Feet: These wrinkles are the most popular ones (and the worst ones as well). They originate and spread from the corners of your eyes.
- Laugh Line: These lines create an arch shape above your lips. If you’re happy and you know it, you’ll have laugh lines!
- Lip Lines: These are vertical lines that spread throughout the perimeter of your lips.
- Marionette Lines: These are vertical lines that are formed on either side of the lips and they become more visible when the cheeks drop down.
How To Prevent/ Treat Wrinkles?
Since we already know what are the factors that result in wrinkles, preventing and treating them becomes much easier. Here are four ways that will help you prevent or lighten the appearance of wrinkles.
1. Sun Protection
Apply sunscreen religiously and liberally. Make it a part of your daily morning skincare routine and wear sunscreen even if you’re staying indoors. Carry a small tube of sunscreen in your bag so that you can re-apply it whenever necessary. Always go for a sunscreen that protects you from UVA as well as UVB rays and has at least an SPF of 40 or more.
2. Moisturize Well
Keep your skin healthy and hydrated by moisturizing it. Dry skin can worsen wrinkles and keeping your skin can prevent or reduce the appearance of lines.
3. Quit Smoking
Smoking can increase facial wrinkling according to research. So, if you love your skin and body, make it an effort to give up the habit (2).
4. Follow A Healthy Lifestyle
Eat healthy, exercise, stay hydrated, rest well, reduce consumption of alcohol, and reduce stress. As we discussed before, your lifestyle choices can have an impact on your skin and the appearance of wrinkles. So, try to make it a habit to prioritize your well being the right way.
Even if you are careful about wrinkles, they are bound to appear someday. But do not freak out because this is how you are supposed to age and it’s completely natural. And if they bother you that much, you can always seek help from a dermatologist or cosmetologist to get surgeries, fillers, or other treatments done. In the end, it’s all your choice.