The right fit when it comes to our undergarments is an often-neglected priority. However, what women fail to understand is that poorly-fitted lingerie could actually lead to health issues. But before we get into that, why not take a look as to what place this humble article of clothing holds in our lives?
Historically, undergarments have evolved over time in line with the industry, technology, and economy of the era. But today, these are the functions that undergarments exist to serve:
- Hygiene and comfort: These clothing articles basically help contain our sweat and any other bodily secretions. This restriction prevents the aforementioned fluids from making contact with one’s outer clothing.
- Support: Undergarments are specially designed to possess a structural system – either metallic or one with textile fibers – that help provides customized support to different parts of our body. For example, support briefs for the male population and bras for the female population.
- Aesthetics: Lastly, thanks to the abundance of colors, designs, and materials that advancements in technology have afforded us, even undergarments have evolved to make their way into fashion.
So, What Kind Of Undergarments Should I Be Choosing?
Choosing the right kind of undergarments depends on a myriad of factors, such as material, style, and, of course, the circumstances that we plan on wearing them in. All of this can get a tad overwhelming for a few of us. Hence, here are 5 essential tips to live by when shopping for practical, everyday lingerie!
1. Choose Cotton
Cotton fabric is always your best bet! It’s lightweight, soft, natural, and – bonus! – a hypoallergenic (read: prevents any irritations for those with sensitive skin) material. Additionally, thanks to its breathable and absorbent properties, cotton also aids in protecting its users from the wretched humidity, which, in turn, reduces one’s risk of suffering from fungal and bacterial infections.
Moreover, this material can withstand that ravaging effects of several washes, and it also helps in maintaining our skin’s natural pH balance – what’s not to love!
2. Prioritize Size
By wearing properly-fitting undergarments, we can reduce our risk of suffering many unwanted complications. Case in point: Bras. As any woman will tell you, choosing the right bra cup size and shape of strands is absolutely vital. Any mistakes could lead to neck, back, shoulder, and even breast pain. Additionally, choosing a bra with good support is crucial as well for this can help prevent premature sagging.
Panties too need to possess the right fit. If too snug, they could exert excessive pressure on your abdomen, which could put you at risk of having your gastric acid being pushed up through your esophagus, leading to acid reflux (1). Furthermore, if your panties are too constricting immediately below the waist, then this could negatively impact the blood circulation, which, in turn, could produce irritation, numbness or tingling.
3. If You’re Into Intense Exercising
Are you a gym or outdoor activities enthusiast? Then it’s doubly important that you purchase the right undergarments! When we undertake any physical activity, our body will respond by producing sweat. Now, if your undergarments aren’t equipped to deal with this situation, say, your panties are made of lace or silk, then this wouldn’t allow the built-up humidity to escape – which could later lead to vaginal infections (3).
So, if you often find yourself exercising, cotton undergarments are an acceptable option. However, undergarments made of microfibers, nylon or polyester should be your go-to materials, according to experts.
4. Steer Clear Of Thongs
Now, we can all agree thongs can be a very sexy clothing article. However, they aren’t always the safest or most hygienic of undergarments! Health experts recommend that one restrict their wearing of thongs to special occasions only. This is because frequent use would make it easier for the bacteria residing in the region of your derriere to travel to your lady bits, which would make you extremely susceptible to suffering a urinary tract infection (3).
5. When You’re Pregnant Or Nursing
When a woman is pregnant or lactating, there are several changes that occur in her body to accommodate the new life she brings to this world. One of these changes includes breasts that are bigger in size and more tender and even painful at times. Hence, in such an event, it is more prudent to wear bras that have wider straps as this would produce a more equal distribution of weight.
Additionally, the bras you choose to wear during nursing and pregnancy should be designed to be seamless in the nipple regions so as to avoid any irritation and friction to the sensitive skin there.
We hope these 5 cardinal undergarment-purchasing tips will help make your lingerie life a more comfortable, safe, and hygienic experience. If you have any more tips to recommendations or add, do let us know in the comments below!
Latest posts by Chandrama Deshmukh (see all)
- 10 Things Every Newly Married Couple Fights About - June 1, 2018
- 11 Things Men Pay Attention To But You Don’t - June 1, 2018
- Psychologists Tell Us How To Pass Through 4 Of The Most Dangerous Periods Of Marriage And Not Break Up - June 1, 2018
- 8 Things We’d Better Do At Night Instead Of In The Morning - June 1, 2018
- 5 Surprising Weight Loss Tips That Are Actually Doable - May 31, 2018