You just stumbled upon an old photo of yours and realized how much your facial appearance has changed, especially with those chubby cheeks and double chin. You keep brooding over it and wonder how to lose face fat. That is when this article comes to help. Though it is not possible to lose fat from your face alone, you can include a few tips in your daily life that help you get a slimmer face. So, keep reading this article to know how to reduce face fat, get rid of double chins, and attain a slimmer face easily.
In This Article
How To Lose Face Fat
Do you want to know how to get rid of face fat? Given here are a few techniques
- Facial Yoga
- XO Exercise
- Hippo’s Jaws
- Fish Face
- Chin Lift
- Blowing Air
- Jaw Release
- Cheek Puff Exercise
- Cheek Lift
- Chewing gum
- Facial Massage
1. Facial Exercises
The benefit of facial muscle exercise is immense. About 43 facial muscles need to get toned in order to get a slim face. Remember, losing fat from the face is aided by other factors as well, which we will discuss later in this article. Let’s first talk about facial exercises.
a. Facial Yoga
Simhasana or the Lion Pose will tone your face muscles and also help in detoxification. Follow the steps diligently and practice it a few times every morning to get the desired results.
b. XO Exercise
Not kisses and hugs, but a fun way to tone the face muscles. Say X and O in a way that your face muscles are stretched and contracted to their limit. This will also make you feel relaxed and improve blood circulation to your face. You can do this exercise any time of the day. Do 10 sets per attempt.
c. Hippo’s Jaws
This is another fun, yet effective facial slimming exercise. Open your mouth as wide as possible. Hold it for 10 seconds and then relax. Repeat this 10 times.
d. Fish Face
This is the ultimate facial exercise. Suck your cheeks in and try to smile. Hold this position for five seconds and then release. Repeat this 10 times.
e. Chin Lift
This exercise helps you get rid of a double chin by toning the muscles in your chin area. Look up at the ceiling, pull your lower lip upwards, and hold it for five seconds. Repeat this 10 times.
f. Blowing Air
This exercise will tone your neck, chin, jaws, and face muscles. Sit on a chair. Make sure to keep your spine straight. Now, look up at the ceiling, pull your lips, and exhale from your mouth. Repeat this 10 times. Relax as needed between repetitions.
g. Jaw Release
Who doesn’t want high cheekbones and a well-defined jawline? This exercise will help tone your jaw and cheek muscles. Stand straight, keep your lips together, and move your lower jaw in a circular motion (clockwise and counter-clockwise), almost as if you are chewing food. Hum while you breathe in and breathe out. Next, open your mouth wide and hold the tip of your tongue behind the bottom teeth. Breathe in and breathe out. Hold this for three to five seconds. Repeat this set 10 times.
h. Cheek Puff Exercise
Are you looking for tips on how to lose cheek fat along with getting toned cheekbones? Try the cheek puff exercise. It tones your cheek muscles and helps your face look slimmer. Take a deep breath, and hold the air in your right cheek for six seconds. Then, transfer the air to the left cheek, and hold this facial expression for six seconds. Do this a few times throughout the day.
i. Cheek Lift
If you want firm cheeks, try this exercise as often as you can. Start by smiling as wide as you can. Now, stretch your right cheek with the help of your index, middle, and ring fingers in the direction of your eyes. Close your eyes, if required. Hold the pose for about 10 seconds and then repeat on the opposite cheek.
j. Chewing Gum
Chewing gum can actually help you lose a lot of face fat. It tones your jaw and cheek muscles. Chew sugar-free gum for about 15-20 minutes twice a day.
k. Facial Massage
If you want to avoid chewing gum, massage your face with a tablespoon of olive oil, wheat germ oil, cocoa butter, or fenugreek paste. If you have oily skin, use a water-based face cream. You can also use grated cucumber to massage your face. Start massaging from your chin, moving upwards to your cheeks, with your palms in clockwise and counterclockwise direction.
Here is a video that will give you an idea on how to do face exercises. Watch the video and follow the instructions to get rid of your double chin.
As I mentioned before, keep in mind that you cannot lose fat only from a particular area. You have to lose weight overall to get a slimmer face. Here is what I would suggest you do to lose that extra flab.
2. Exercise To Lose Excess Weight
The above-mentioned facial exercises can only help to a certain extent. Excess body fat can also make your face look bloated. To make that double chin disappear, you have to start exercising. Start by walking at a medium pace, and then slowly advance to power walks. After four to five days, you can start doing intermittent jogging and walking. When you are more comfortable, start running. You can also join a gym, power yoga, or dance class.
A consultation with your physician or fitness expert to know exactly how much you should exercise daily. Physical exercise is very important for everyone. It will keep you fit, make you more attentive, boost your memory and immune system, and make you more confident. What is more attractive than a confident woman?
So will it help if you exercise but don’t take care of what you eat? You also have to eat the right foods, at the right time, and in the right portion size. The following diet chart will help you to control your daily food intake.
3. Eat Healthy – Diet Chart
Exercising without eating right will get you nowhere. Eating the right amount of carbs, fats, proteins, and dietary fiber is essential for overall weight loss. If you do not lead an active life, you need to take in at least 1,600 calories per day. If you are an active woman, you need at least 2,200 calories per day. Lowering your calorie intake drastically will put your body in the famine mode, where the body will start storing whatever food it gets as fat. Therefore, crash dieting is not a good option for you. It is very important that you eat foods that are rich in dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals, and proteins. Carbs and fats are also essential for our body, and it is recommended to consume them in the right amounts.
Here is a sample diet chart to help you choose from all the healthy yet tasty options.
Why This Works
This diet chart allows you to have tasty, easy-to-make, and healthy foods. Your hunger pangs are taken care of by fruits, juices, and yogurt. The options given to you are flexible. You can also come up with your own ideas for healthy foods. Eat frequently and in small portions, and you will definitely see a difference in no time.
Here are some of my favorite low-calorie, nutrition-dense recipes that will help you lose weight and satisfy your taste buds.
a. Stir Fried Veggies And Mushrooms
- 5-6 broccoli florets
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 clove of garlic
- 5 French beans
- 6-7 spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable or chicken stalk
- 6-7 button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon butter (not melted)
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil/olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
How To Cook
- Slice the mushrooms (not too thin).
- Thinly slice the French beans, carrot, and broccoli florets.
- Chop the garlic clove.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add one teaspoon of butter to it.
- Let the butter melt. Then, add the garlic.
- Fry the garlic for about half a minute and then add the veggies.
- Fry the veggies for about two to three minutes and add the mushrooms and spinach.
- Add a little salt and pepper and fry for about two to three minutes.
- Now, add the chicken or vegetable stalk so that the veggies take up all its flavor. You may skip the stalk if you want to.
- Cover the frying pan with the lid and let it cook for about three minutes.
- Eat it while it is still hot.
b. Tangy Bengal Gram Salad
- 1 small bowl Bengal gram (soaked in water overnight)
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 onion
- Coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala (available in Indian grocery stores)
How To Make
- Cut the cucumber, tomato, and onions in small cubes and put them in a bowl.
- Now add the Bengal gram to the bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt, lemon juice, chili powder, cumin powder, and chaat masala to it.
- Chop a handful of coriander leaves and put it in the bowl. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Enjoy this tangy, healthy salad either while working or while watching your favorite show.
Yes, it will take you some time to lose overall weight and to lose the fat from the face. However, there are a few tricks to make your face look slimmer. Use makeup, trendy hairstyles, and fashionable clothing accessories to slim down your face instantly. I have used these tricks, and they really work. Here is what you can do.
4. Other Tips To Make Your Face Look Slimmer
Makeup can help you achieve facial symmetry and make your face look slimmer. It’s such a fun way to create the illusion of a slimmer face that it amazes me all the time.
- First up, the foundation. Use a medium coverage foundation so that your makeup doesn’t look too cakey.
- Use a darker shade of foundation or bronzer to make your nose appear slimmer. For facial contouring, apply bronzer on your temples, just below your cheeks, and below your jawline.
- Apply concealer on your T-zone, below your eyes, and just below where you applied the bronzer on your cheeks.
- Use a highlighter to highlight your Cupid’s bow, and apply a little on your T-zone as well. Making your T-zone lighter than the rest of your face will create an illusion of a slimmer face.
- If you draw your eyebrows, make sure to arch them well, but do not bring them too low in the end.
- Line the upper lid of your eyes by flicking your eyeliner on the outer corner.
- Line your lips with a darker shade of lip liner and then apply the lipstick. If you want to use a gloss, just dab a little in the middle of your lips.
To get a clearer idea, watch this video. It has amazing makeup tips to make your face look slimmer:
b. Haircuts And Hairstyles
Haircuts speak volumes about you. A good haircut can give you a whole new look and boost your confidence. Thanks to all the hairstylists who have, in fact, invented haircuts for various face shapes and sizes.
(i) Graduated Bob
This haircut looks perfect on all face shapes, especially if you have a chubby face. This will define your jawline, bringing all the attention to your jaws and neck instead of the cheeks.
(ii) Fringes On The Side
Cut your hair in a way that you get fringes all around your face, starting right from your cheekbones to your shoulder. This will help you hide the cheek flab and make your neck look longer.
(iii) Asymmetrical Bangs
Straight front bangs will make your face look more chubby and round. Instead, opt for asymmetrical bangs, meaning, one side of the forehead will have longer bangs than the other. The side which has shorter bangs, make sure to add fringes right from your cheek bones till chin or neck.
(iv) Careless Beauty
If you want to tie your hair in a ponytail or a bun, let some strands of hair fall on the sides of your face. This will again take care of a wide face and make you look smart as well.
(v) Side Ponytail Or Braids
Tie your hair in a low side ponytail or braids. Let some strands of hair loose on the other side of the ponytail or the braid. This hairstyle will take some flab off your face instantly.
(vi) Highlight Your Hair
Highlighting your hair will help you direct the attention from your facial features to your bouncy and stylish hair. Go to a good salon to get the highlights done.
(vii) Side Part
Backbrushing your hair or doing a mid parting will bring out the chubby cheeks. A side parting will create the illusion of a longer and slimmer face.
(viii) Long Hair/ Hair Extensions
Try growing your hair a little more than the shoulder length. You can also use hair extensions. Long hair will take all the attention from your face and direct it to the length of your hair and will make your neck look longer. This, in turn, will make your face look slimmer.
c. Accessories And Clothing
- Do not wear round neck t-shirts, collared shirts, or boat necks. Opt for v-necks or formal shirts that do not have a defined round neck collar. Layer your clothes with either a classy formal jacket or a summer-friendly outdoor shrug or a scarf.
- Wear necklaces that hang till your chest. Any chunky jewelry that ends on your collarbone will again draw all the attention to your face.
- Wear earrings that are long and slim. Stay away from chunky earrings or studs for now.
- For glasses and sunglasses, choose a frame shape that is rectangular but not too wide or small. Too wide and small glasses will make your face look bigger. Wear medium or chunky sunglasses.
Lastly, you have to make an effort to maintain your weight loss. Only changing your lifestyle will enable you to do so. In the next section, I will disclose five simple lifestyle changes that will make a huge difference in the coming days for you.
a. Early To Bed
Go to bed early and wake up early. This will make you more alert, and you will get time to exercise and eat breakfast before you head out to take on the world.
b. Eat Right
Do not skip any meal of the day. Small and frequent meals and negative calorie foods (foods that take more energy to get digested than the calories they have) will provide you with the required nutrition and help you lose more weight.
c. Reduce Sodium Intake
High sodium levels can cause the body to retain excess water, resulting in a swollen and puffy face. Lowering your sodium intake helps your body reduce excess fluid and maintain the water balance. While this won’t directly target facial fat, it can enhance your overall facial definition and make it appear leaner. Choose fresh, whole foods and limit or avoid processed and salty foods. Keep in mind that genetics, your overall diet, and exercise also impact facial fat. Consult a doctor to tailor your healthcare needs for visible results.
d. Avoid Alcohol
If you do everything right and still do not give up alcohol, you will keep gaining the weight back. If you want to lose weight, stay away from alcohol. If you want to drink, you can always drink a little wine. But do not overdo it or have it regularly.
e. Drink Water
We don’t understand the power of hydration. Drinking at least three liters of water per day will flush the toxins out, help you lose weight, improve your immunity, and make your skin glow. Try to sip water continuously through the day. You can also drink fruit-infused water to spice up the water therapy.
f. Sleep Well
Sleep for at least seven hours a day. Your brain and body need to rest, even if you are working on a tight deadline. Sleep improves your immunity, boosts metabolism, helps you lose weight (do not oversleep), and lowers the reactive oxygen radicals in your body. A good sleep will actually make you look more beautiful.
Infographic: Top 6 Techniques To Lose Face Fat
If you are searching for easy ways to shed that stubborn fat from your face, look no further! The defined, slimmer face of your dreams is now within your reach with simple, at-home exercises. These techniques can help slim down and tone your facial muscles. Check out the infographic below to learn more!
How to lose face fat? If this question has been bothering you, then the tips and tricks above might be helpful. While it is not possible to shed weight from your face alone, certain gentle exercises targeting your facial muscles can help evenly distribute the facial fat and tone the muscles, improving your face contour and shape. Chin lift, jaw release, cheek lift, fish face, and facial massage are a few of the simple practices that can help make your face appear slim and firm. Along with these, certain makeup and hairstyling tips can also help make your face look slimmer than usual.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cause of face fat?
The primary cause of excess facial fat is excess weight gain due to poor diet and lifestyle choices. However, other factors such as genetics, age, alcohol consumption and stress may also contribute to it.
Why is my face fat but I’m skinny?
Water retention, cushing’s syndrome, or general roundedness caused due to genetics may be responsible for rounded or puffy face in individuals who are not overweight.
How long does it take to lose face fat?
The amount of time it takes an individual to lose fat depends on multiple factors such as the rate of body fat loss, starting point, diet and exercise. Generally, facial fat goes away at 20% body fat and a proper weight loss program can help individuals lose approximately 0.5-1% of their body fat per week. Therefore, it may take a few weeks to lose face fat completely.
- To lose facial weight you may try a few facial exercises like facial yoga, XO exercise, and hippo’s jaw.
- You may also set a diet chart consisting of healthy vegetables, grams, and fruits.
- Makeup is another suitable option for creating an illusion of a slimmer face.
- You may also try face-slimming haircuts and hairstyles like graduated bobs and fringes.
- The perfect lifestyle to lose weight includes an early sleep schedule, the right eating habits, avoiding alcohol, and drinking adequate water.