Natural hair oils are considered best suitable for healthy hair growth. They can be applied directly to the hair for added strength and nourishment. Soybean oil is one such natural oil that contains several enriching properties.
This article explores the benefits ofÂ soybean oil for hair and how you can use it right. Read on.
Table Of Contents
What Is Soybean Oil?
Soybean oil is a vegetable oil extracted from the seeds and kernels of soybean. The process of extracting oil involves cracking the beans open, heating them, and extracting the oil with hexane via a solvent method. This is followed by refining the oil (1).
The oil is commonly used for cooking purposes. It is mostly found in commercial vegetable oils. Soybean oil is often used as part of a plant-based diet because it contains many essential vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids.
Are you wonderingÂ if soybean oil is good for your hair?Â Find out below.
Is Soybean Oil Good For Your Hair?
One of the key benefits ofÂ soybean oil is it gets absorbed into the hair shaft quickly (because of its essential fatty acids) without leaving any residue. It also promotes moisture retention.
The essential vitamins and minerals in the oil help promote hair growth:
Riboflavin in soybean oil may help promote hair growth. Some research suggests that its deficiency can cause hair loss (2).
- Vitamin C
Vitamin C deficiency is usually associated with loss of body hair (2).
The nutrient also promotes iron absorption, and may help reduce hair loss associated with iron deficiency (2).
- Vitamin E
The vitamin E inÂ soybean oil helps repair the scalpâs hair follicle cells. It also prevents free radical damage, which may otherwise lead to hair loss in some cases (2). It also reduces oxidative stress in the scalp and may help promote hair growth as a consequence (3).
Deficiency of iron may lead to hair shedding and eventually hair loss. Hair loss associated with iron deficiency anemia is quite common (2). However, more research is warranted to further understand the link between iron and hair growth.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Studies suggest that omega-3 fatty acids may promote hair growth in some cases (4). In another study, omega-3 fatty acid supplementation could improve hair growth in the participants (5). However, more research is warranted to further understand how omega-3 fatty acids may boost hair growth.
These are the nutrients in soybean oil that may help promote hair growth. In the next section, we will see the other ways the oil can benefit your scalp and hair health. Much of this information is based on anecdotal evidence and more solid research is warranted.
Benefits Of Soybean Oil For Hair
1. May Condition Hair Deeply
Soybean oil is considered very effective for moisturizing and conditioning hair. It is rich in protein and oil contents that help hydrate the hair roots and condition the hair fibers deeply. Soy oil may also help treat dry scalp and split ends.
2. May Nourish Hair
The ingredients of soybean oil can help nourish the hair and scalp. They can make the hair follicles healthy from within.
3. May Smoothen The Cuticles
Although soybean oil would not necessarily make your hair straight, it may loosen your curls and lay down the roots by smoothening the hair cuticles. It could make your hair softer and shinier.
4. May Help Improve Hair Texture
Soybean oil and its extracts are used in commercial hair care products. The oil may help improve hair texture by moisturizing and nourishing the hair from within. Soybean oil may also lubricate the hair well, as it penetrates the scalp easily.
5. May Help Reduce Scalp Inflammation
The vitamin E in soybean oil has anti-inflammatory properties. It may help reduce scalp inflammation and could potentially prevent inflammatory scalp issues like dandruff (6).
These are the potential benefits of soybean oil for your hair. While most of them warrant further research, using the oil on oneâs hair seems to be generally safe. But how do you use it right?
How To Use Soybean Oil For Hair Growth?
The amount ofÂ soybean oil to be used depends on the type of treatment you are going for â these include deep conditioning and scalp massage.
For Deep Conditioning
- Warm 1/3 cup of soybean oil and use a brush to apply it to your hair and scalp evenly.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Wait for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Rinse your hair and shampoo, condition, and style as normal.
For Scalp Massage
- Take 1 tablespoon of soybean oil and mix it with one tablespoon of castor oil.
- Add 4 to 5 drops of any growth-promoting essential oil such as that of lavender, peppermint, or rosemary.
- Thoroughly massage the oils into your scalp. Wash and condition your hair.
What are the best soybean oils for hair that you can use? Read below to know more.
Best Soybean Oils For Hair
- Well’s 100% Pure Soybean Oil:Â This oil is best suited for hot oil treatments and is even used in aromatherapy treatments. It can be mixed with various essential oils as well.
- Botanical Beauty ORGANIC SOYBEAN OIL 100% Pure:Â This oil contains no additives or solvents. It comes packaged in a dark bottle to preserve its antioxidant properties.
While more research on the hair-boosting benefits of soybean oil is warranted, the oil appears to be generally safe for use. Its ingredients may help ease scalp inflammation and boost scalp health. Using the oil is simple. You may procure it online or from your nearest superstore. Regular usage could give you better results and keep your scalp healthier for a long.
Expertâs Answers For Readers’ Questions
Does soybean oil cause hair loss?
There is no research stating that the oil may cause hair loss. In fact, it may slow down the production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT, a byproduct of testosterone hormone) that is known to interfere with hair growth. While more research is warranted in this regard, some anecdotal evidence states that the oil promotes hair growth and appearance.
Should I use soybean oil for hair regularly?
Yes. Using it regularly may lead to longer, thicker hair and better scalp health.
- Is A Hot Oil Treatment Good For Your Hair?
- Is Vegetable Oil Good For Your Hair?
- 7 Reasons To Use Sesame Oil For Your Hair
- 9 Best Vitamin E Oils For Healthy Hair
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Check out our editorial policy for further details.
- Sustainability analysis of soybean refinery: soybean oil extraction process
- The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review
- Effects of Tocotrienol Supplementation on Hair Growth in Human Volunteers
- Mackerel-Derived Fermented Fish Oil Promotes Hair Growth by Anagen-Stimulating Pathways
- Effect of a nutritional supplement on hair loss in women
- Vitamin E, Antioxidant and Nothing More