Dandruff is one of the most common hair problems faced by men and women alike. The white flakes can be annoying and embarrassing and they only show themselves at the most inappropriate of times! What’s more? They also cause acne and mess with our skin too.
What Causes Dandruff?
So what is dandruff? Dandruff is caused when a fungus (like yeast) called malassezia grows on your scalp. This results in shedding of the scalp skin. There are two types of dandruff. One occurs due to the dryness of the scalp, while the other occurs due to the production of excessive oil on the scalp. Some of the known causes of dandruff areI
- Improper and irregular brushing of the hair
- Infrequent shampooing
- Improper diet
- Stress and certain illnesses like Parkinson’s disease, eczema and seborrheic dermatitis
There are many simple ways to get rid of dandruff. Many products are available in the market to treat dandruff. But all are not really effective and satisfactory to help keep the scalp clean. Some might or might not help, some might suit a particular scalp, while others might not be of the right quality or may be highly priced.
So let us take a look at a few of these home remedies for dandruff free hair, which will help you get rid of an itchy scalp and irritation.
Tips For Dandruff Free Hair:
Here are the various essential oils and home remedies you can use to get rid of dandruff:
1. Olive Oil:
Out of the multitude uses that olive oil has, its use in curing dandruff is the most widely popularised. Consistent use of olive oil is known to reduce dandruff. This is because olive oil is an excellent moisturizer and contains natural clarifying properties.
- Massage your scalp with olive oil regularly and see the dandruff go away for good.
- Make sure to leave the oil overnight for desired results.
- Ensure that the time of application and the time of washing does not exceed 10 hours.
- Also, remember to sleep on an old pillowcase to absorb the oil or wrap your head in a cotton cap before sleeping.
2. Castor And Olive Oil:
Another excellent remedy for dandruff, a dry and itchy scalp condition is castor oil.With its antifungal and antibacterial properties, castor oil can effectively treat scalp infections. It is loaded with essential nutrients such as amino acids, omega-6 fatty acids and Vitamin E. It moisturizes dry, flaky and itchy skin and helps to eliminate dandruff.
When combined with olive oil, you can only guess its potency.
- A mix of castor and olive oil can be slightly warmed up and massaged on the head.
- Wrap a warm towel over the head for about 10-15 minutes.
- Then wash it off with a good quality shampoo. This helps you clear the scalp.
[ Read: Home Remedies For Oily & Greasy Hair ]
3. Camphor And Coconut Oil:
Here’s a simple Ayurvedic remedy that you can try to get rid of your dandruff problem. As you might know, coconut oil is great at nourishing your hair and scalp.
- Add one teaspoon of camphor to half cup of coconut oil and store in an airtight container.
- Apply it on the scalp and massage for 10 minutes each night before going to bed.
- Continue this treatment for 2 weeks and once your dandruff is in control, switch to applying only on alternate evenings.
4. Coconut Oil And Lemon juice:
Lemon juice contains extremely beneficial anti fungal properties which make it an essential weapon in the dandruff home remedies kit.
This concoction is one the best home remedies for dandruff.
- Warm coconut oil and squeeze in lemon juice such that for one part lemon juice, you have added five parts coconut oil
- Mix well and massage on to your scalp.
- Use this regularly to eliminate dandruff.
[ Read: How to Get Rid of Dandruff Using Lemon ]
5. Neem Leaves:
Another age old recipe for countless hair ailments is the good old neem. Neem leaves contain antibiotic, antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties which makes it a potent agent against dandruff.
- Boil some neem leaves and drain.
- Use this water to rinse your hair after your regular hair wash.
- This will not only treat dandruff but also will help you get rid of body acne.
[ Read: Neem for Dandruff ]
- A vinegar rinse also helps cure dandruff.
- After washing your hair and conditioning, add a few drops of apple cider vinegar into a mug of water and use it as a final rinse, focusing on the scalp.
- You can also opt for balsamic vinegar for the same.
Vinegar is rich in potassium and extremely effective in getting rid of dead skin that leads to dandruff flakes. Specially, apple cider vinegar helps to improve blood circulation. Remember never to use chemically treated vinegar for the treatment. The smell of vinegar, in case you find the thought irksome, will fade once your hair is dry.
7. Fenugreek Seeds:
This helps you to get dandruff free hair and also softens your hair.
Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight. The next morning, grind the seeds into a smooth paste, add some yogurt and apply on your scalp and hair. Wash away after it dries.
8. Aloe Vera:
Aloe Vera gel has antibacterial and antifungal properties and is known to lessen dandruff in addition to its myriad of benefits for our skin and hair. Aloe Vera removes dandruff, soothes and heals the scalp, acting as a clarifying agent.
- Apply pure Aloe Vera gel on the scalp and massage.
- Beat few eggs into a bowl and then apply it on to your scalp.
- Wash it off after 2 hours.
The dandruff will be reduced, while making the hair soft and shiny. One of the good home remedies for dandruff free hair.
10 Tulsi And Amla:
Make a paste of tulsi and amla powder using water. You can also add in yogurt. Then apply this mixture on your scalp and wash away when it dries.
11. Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil is an excellent cure for dandruff. Just add in a few drops in your regular hair oil and massage on your scalp.
12. Apple Juice:
Apple juice also helps you keep dandruff in control. Massage your scalp and hair with apple juice. You can possibly it as a final rinse for your hair.
13. Beetroot And Garlic Juice:
A mixture of beetroot juice, vinegar and garlic juice also helps in reducing dandruff.
14. Green Gram:
A paste of green gram powder mixed in yogurt is an effective way to treat a flaky scalp.
Latest posts by Namita (see all)
- Brown Hair Color Guide – Everything You Need To Know - January 31, 2015
- Can Eating Tomatoes Help You Lose Weight? - January 28, 2015
- How To Use Tea Tree Oil To Get Rid Of Lice? - January 19, 2015
- How Many Litres Of Water Should You Drink Daily To Lose Weight? - January 14, 2015