Dandruff is one of the most common hair problems faced by men and women alike. The white flakes can be annoying and embarrassing and they only show themselves at the most inappropriate of times! What’s more? They also cause acne and mess with our skin too.
What Causes Dandruff?
So what is dandruff? Dandruff is caused when a fungus (like yeast) called malassezia grows on your scalp. This results in shedding of the scalp skin. There are two types of dandruff. One occurs due to the dryness of the scalp, while the other occurs due to the production of excessive oil on the scalp. Some of the known causes of dandruff areI
- Improper and irregular brushing of the hair
- Infrequent shampooing
- Improper diet
- Stress and certain illnesses like Parkinson’s disease, eczema and seborrheic dermatitis
There are many simple ways to get rid of dandruff. Many products are available in the market to treat dandruff. But all are not really effective and satisfactory to help keep the scalp clean. Some might or might not help, some might suit a particular scalp, while others might not be of the right quality or may be highly priced.
So let us take a look at a few of these home remedies for dandruff free hair, which will help you get rid of an itchy scalp and irritation.
Watch a Home Remedies Videos from our YouTube Channel – StyleCrazeTv
Tips for Dandruff Free Hair:
Here are the various essential oils and home remedies you can use to get rid of dandruff:
1. Olive Oil:
Out of the multitude uses that olive oil has, its use in curing dandruff is the most widely popularised. Consistent use of olive oil is known to reduce dandruff. This is because olive oil is an excellent moisturizer and contains natural clarifying properties.
- Massage your scalp with olive oil regularly and see the dandruff go away for good.
- Make sure to leave the oil overnight for desired results.
- Ensure that the time of application and the time of washing does not exceed 10 hours.
- Also, remember to sleep on an old pillowcase to absorb the oil or wrap your head in a cotton cap before sleeping.
2. Castor and Olive Oil:
Another excellent remedy for dandruff, a dry and itchy scalp condition is castor oil.With its antifungal and antibacterial properties, castor oil can effectively treat scalp infections. It is loaded with essential nutrients such as amino acids, omega-6 fatty acids and Vitamin E. It moisturizes dry, flaky and itchy skin and helps to eliminate dandruff.
When combined with olive oil, you can only guess its potency.
- A mix of castor and olive oil can be slightly warmed up and massaged on the head.
- Wrap a warm towel over the head for about 10-15 minutes.
- Then wash it off with a good quality shampoo. This helps you clear the scalp.
[ Read: Home Remedies For Oily & Greasy Hair ]
3. Camphor and Coconut Oil:
Here’s a simple Ayurvedic remedy that you can try to get rid of your dandruff problem. As you might know, coconut oil is great at nourishing your hair and scalp.
- Add one teaspoon of camphor to half cup of coconut oil and store in an airtight container.
- Apply it on the scalp and massage for 10 minutes each night before going to bed.
- Continue this treatment for 2 weeks and once your dandruff is in control, switch to applying only on alternate evenings.
4. Coconut oil and Lemon juice:
Lemon juice contains extremely beneficial anti fungal properties which make it an essential weapon in the dandruff home remedies kit.
This concoction is one the best home remedies for dandruff.
- Warm coconut oil and squeeze in lemon juice such that for one part lemon juice, you have added five parts coconut oil
- Mix well and massage on to your scalp.
- Use this regularly to eliminate dandruff.
[ Read: How to Get Rid of Dandruff Using Lemon ]
5. Neem Leaves:
Another age old recipe for countless hair ailments is the good old neem. Neem leaves contain antibiotic, antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties which makes it a potent agent against dandruff.
- Boil some neem leaves and drain.
- Use this water to rinse your hair after your regular hair wash.
- This will not only treat dandruff but also will help you get rid of body acne.
[ Read: Neem for Dandruff ]
- A vinegar rinse also helps cure dandruff.
- After washing your hair and conditioning, add a few drops of apple cider vinegar into a mug of water and use it as a final rinse, focusing on the scalp.
- You can also opt for balsamic vinegar for the same.
Vinegar is rich in potassium and extremely effective in getting rid of dead skin that leads to dandruff flakes. Specially, apple cider vinegar helps to improve blood circulation. Remember never to use chemically treated vinegar for the treatment. The smell of vinegar, in case you find the thought irksome, will fade once your hair is dry.
7. Fenugreek Seeds:
This helps you to get dandruff free hair and also softens your hair.
Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight. The next morning, grind the seeds into a smooth paste, add some yogurt and apply on your scalp and hair. Wash away after it dries.
8. Aloe Vera:
Aloe Vera gel has antibacterial and antifungal properties and is known to lessen dandruff in addition to its myriad of benefits for our skin and hair. Aloe Vera removes dandruff, soothes and heals the scalp, acting as a clarifying agent.
- Apply pure Aloe Vera gel on the scalp and massage.
- Beat few eggs into a bowl and then apply it on to your scalp.
- Wash it off after 2 hours.
The dandruff will be reduced, while making the hair soft and shiny. One of the good home remedies for dandruff free hair.
10 Tulsi and Amla:
Make a paste of tulsi and amla powder using water. You can also add in yogurt. Then apply this mixture on your scalp and wash away when it dries.
11. Tea Tree oil:
Tea tree oil is an excellent cure for dandruff. Just add in a few drops in your regular hair oil and massage on your scalp.
12. Apple Juice:
Apple juice also helps you keep dandruff in control. Massage your scalp and hair with apple juice. You can possibly it as a final rinse for your hair.
13. Beetroot and Garlic Juice:
A mixture of beetroot juice, vinegar and garlic juice also helps in reducing dandruff.
14. Green Gram:
A paste of green gram powder mixed in yogurt is an effective way to treat a flaky scalp.
One another foolproof remedy for dandruff is the hibiscus leaves paste. It absolutely works and helps your hair texture too!
- Grind some hibiscus leaves and apply the paste on your scalp.
- Wash it off after 30 minutes.
16. Curd and Lemon:
Mix one cup of curd with 5 teaspoons of lemon juice; apply and massage this pack for a few minutes and wash it after 15-20 minutes. Do this every 2-3 days for gradually reducing dandruff.
This can also be used alone to get rid of and prevent dandruff from unpleasantly showing up. After washing and rinsing your hair, apply yogurt to your scalp and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse and wash your hair again with a small amount of shampoo.
Aspirin tablets dissolved in shampoo are also said to help reduce dandruff.
All the above remedies are to be followed regularly. Choose the ones that are most convenient for you and be consistent in their usage.
19. Drugstore Products:
There are a lot of products available in the market that can help you reduce dandruff at home.
- Matrix Biolage Scalp Therapie Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, combining the refreshing powers of kola nut and mint complex, helps control the oil secretion without drying the hair. It is known to work well with stubborn dandruff owing to its ingredients – pyrithione zinc and bio cushion complex. It helps cleanse the scalp while removing all pollutants.
- Head & Shoulders Anti-Hairfall Shampoo, one of the oldest from the lot, is well known to help gently remove dandruff. It cleans thoroughly, however, over use is known to dry the hair out.
Hot Oil Massages And Packs:
20. Hot Oil Massages:
Hot oil massages are said to be the oldest and most reliable methods to treat dandruff. Good herbal brand hair massage oil will help you treat dandruff easily at home.
21. DIY Aloe Vera Mask:
- Take 100 ml of coconut oil and add a few drops of tea tree oil, two scoops of Aloe Vera pulp, two teaspoons of powdered fenugeek and dried basil to it.
- Mix these ingredients and slightly warm the oil for about five minutes.
- Later on, filter the oil and store it in an airtight container. When using, slightly heat it and massage it over the scalp and hair, one hour prior to washing.
Few times use of this oil will help you get rid of dandruff free hair to a great extent.
Certain hair packs also help in reducing dandruff. Hair packs play a vital role in hair care, especially when used after a hair massage.
Hot oil opens the scalp’s pores, which further accept nourishment from outside when hair packs are used. The ingredients are said to deeply penetrate into the scalp to offer astonishing results.
23. DIY Fenugreek Mask:
- Soak a hand full of fenugreek in water overnight.
- Drain out the water and make a paste of this, and add two tablespoons of vinegar to this paste and apply it on to the scalp and hair.
- Fenugreek will help reduce dandruff to a great extent by clearing out a lot of it, along with conditioning the hair and making it manageable.
However, ensure that first the oil penetrates deep inside hair for nearly 40 minutes after which you can apply the pack and keep for 30 minutes.
24. Baby Oil:
Who does not love gentle baby oil? Many women have been using it to keep their skin soft, supple and moisturized. Now you can enjoy baby oil in another way. Apply it on your scalp and gently massage. You should leave it overnight and wrap your hair in a towel. The next morning, wash your hair with an anti-dandruff shampoo from a good brand.
A Few Precautionary Measures:
Use The Right Shampoo:
Having clean hair is important to make sure that dandruff does not set in. There are vast arrays of great anti-dandruff shampoos that work wonders. It is best to choose something mild unless your case is severe. Dead cells need to be prevented from accumulating and the best way to do this is to keep your hair and scalp immaculately clean.
- Brushing out an oily, dandruff-affected scalp before a hair wash also will help you reduce dandruff. This has to be followed by a rinse using a mixture of malt vinegar and water (4 tea spoons vinegar in one mug of water).
Water and Food:
- One also must drink lots of water to keep the body healthy and clean.
- Foods that are rich in vitamin B, zinc and Omega-3 fatty acids are great if you want to make sure that your scalp is free from flaking. Essential nutrients and oils are provided to your hair.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are also a must. Eat protein-rich foods including eggs, pulses and other supplements.
- Junk foods such as burgers, pizzas, pastas and fried items should be avoided. Drinking unhealthy drinks such as colas, soda, hard drinks and soft drinks is said to be one of the reasons for dandruff.
- Lack of proper sleep and work pressure amongst family, peers and work tends to increase the chances of having dandruff.
- Unhygienic living conditions, hormonal imbalances and few other factors such as comb sharing, lack of hair maintenance too are said to be the reasons for dandruff.
- Ensure that you always cover your hair while travelling. This will help you reduce the risk of dandruff as the hair would not have to undergo the harsh polluted environment.
- Also, while swimming, make sure to oil your hair and wear a shower cap. This will help reduce the risk of chlorine water spoiling the hair.
- Do not expose your hair to the harsh sun rays, especially because the harmful UVA and UVB rays can dry the hair out.
- Also make sure to use herbal products to remove dandruff, as most products contain harmful parabens, sulphates and silicones.
- However, ingredients such as ZPT and Pro-V Complex help reduce dandruff to a great extent.
Important Points to Remember:
1. Never share your combs and hair brushes.
2. Clean them regularly and keep them in a neat and tidy place.
3. If you see the first symptom of dandruff, immediately use a dandruff relief shampoo and conditioner. Switch over to different shampoos to see what fits you the best.
4. Some of the remedies might prove to be a little drying on the hair. Follow up with a good conditioner and make sure to keep the moisture locked in.
Kiss dandruff good bye with this time-tested and effective home remedies. Do share your experiences with us in the comments section below!
- How Does Fenugreek Help Cure Dandruff?
- How To Cure Chronic Dandruff?
- How To Get Rid Of Dandruff Using Baking Powder?
- How To Use Listerine To Cure Dandruff?
- Top 10 Medicines To Control Dandruff
Latest posts by Namita (see all)
- Brown Hair Color Guide – Everything You Need To Know - January 31, 2015
- Can Eating Tomatoes Help You Lose Weight? - January 28, 2015
- How To Use Tea Tree Oil To Get Rid Of Lice? - January 19, 2015
- How Many Litres Of Water Should You Drink Daily To Lose Weight? - January 14, 2015