What is peeling skin?
Peeling of skin, scientifically known as desquamation, is the loss of the outer layer of your skin. Skin peeling may be caused due to direct damage to the skin or due to different types of serious diseases, disorders and conditions.
Skin peeling may occur on small area or the entire body to different age groups. Depending on the cause of peeling skin, it can be cured with creams and lotions or treatment of the disease, disorder or condition.
Skin Problems: Skin Peeling
Due to the range of the causes of skin peeling, treatment should be given depending on the condition. It may cause blisters or sores, fever, diarrhea, pain, vomiting, swelling etc. Life threatening causes include toxic shock syndrome. In such cases you have to seek medical help as soon as possible.
- Sunburn: Over exposure to sun or the UV rays can damage your skin leading it to peel off.
- Eczema: Eczema or rashes can make skin peel.
- Psoriasis: This flaky skin also can cause peel skin.
- Allergic reactions: If you are allergic to fabrics or detergents or anything like that you may get rashes or allergic reactions ultimately leading to skin peeling.
- Infections: If you have fungal infections like ringworm, athlete’s foot, jock itch etc., your skin may peel easily.
- Immunity disorders: If you have skin disorders, you have chance of your skin to peel easily.
- Cancer: Few cancers can get you skin problems leading to skin peeling.
Few other reasons could be
- Athlete’s foot
- Atopic dermatitis(eczema)
- Contact dermatitis
- Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma
- Dry skin
- Jock skin
- Kawasaki disease
- Ringworm(body, scalp)
- Scarlet fever
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Side effects of medications
- Staph infections
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
- Toxic shock syndrome
Mostly peeling skin is caused due to dryness. You can treat this easily at home.
- Don’t pick. The more you pick the more it will peel.
- Don’t scratch. It’s just a temporary relief to that skin but it can later cause infection.
- Trim it. If you don’t want those lengthy peeled skin attached to your skin, then trim it using scissors.
- Moisturize it as much as possible.
- Take an oatmeal bath which depletes skin smoothly. Else you can take a cool shower with some baby oil which can stop peeling your skin.
- Take required proteins, iron, vitamin A. B, and C for better skin regularly.
- Apply grated cucumber pulp on that skin regularly which acts as a natural moisturizer. Add some olive oil, honey and turmeric to it as well.
- Apply honey on that skin and leave it for 45 minutes and then rinse it.
Since skin peeling is mostly caused due to lack of moisture, these remedies may easily cure it. But if these didn’t work for you, you have to consult a doctor immediately.
Latest posts by Gayatri (see all)
- 11 Amazing Benefits Of Hyacinth Herb For Skin, Hair And Health - April 25, 2014
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Rue Herb For Skin, Hair And Health - April 23, 2014
- Top 10 Made In India Cosmetic Brands - November 6, 2013
- 13 Simple Tips To Get Perfect Legs - October 15, 2013
- 5 Simple Tips To Get Luscious Lips - August 20, 2013