Sudden, excessive hair loss can be frightening and worrying. Here are a few common and not-so-common causes of hair fall followed by some simple home remedies that you can easily try!
20 Simple and Effective Home Remedies to Control Hair Fall:
Latest technology and hair fall products claim to reduce hair fall and most of them are effective. However it is always better to go for natural products than opting for chemicals that harm the hair.To curb hair fall, you need to include a few basic practices into your hair care routine along with the treatments that you adopt for better results. Here are some home remedies and tips for hair fall control you can try.
1. Coconut Milk:
Coconut milk is among the richest sources of tissue-nourishing, plant derivatives. Grind the grated coconut and squeeze it to remove its milk. Massage coconut milk on the scalp to reduce hair fall.
2. Aloe Vera:
Aloe Vera juice is very effective to stop hair loss. Pure aloe gel can be applied directly to the scalp. This is helpful for preventing hair loss due to irritated, dry or infected scalp. Aloe Vera balances the pH level of scalp. After massaging the head with aloe gel, wait for few hours and then wash the hair with lukewarm water. You should do this twice a week for best results.
- You can also make your own anti hair fall shampoo. Mix aloe gel, wheat germ oil and coconut milk. Apply this on your scalp and wash off
- Another remedy is to dissolve a small amount of sodium chloride in the aloe vera gel. Now apply this mix on the scalp. The sodium will penetrate into the deeper layers of your skin and reduce hair fall.
3. Oil Massage:
Regular massaging the scalp for a few minutes every day with lukewarm oil will lead to stimulation of blood flow to the scalp. Coconut oil helps in controlling hail fall. Other recommended oils are: Jojoba oil, almond oil, mustard oil, lavender oil. Jojoba oil is especially good because it replaces the sebum in the scalp. It also helps to control dandruff.
4. Neem Treatment:
Neem is one of the most popular herbs in the country! It has many benefits, both health and beauty. And when it comes to beauty, it has some very effective hair benefits too. The astringent property of neem helps to keep lice and dandruff at bay.
How to use:
- Boil neem leaves in water until the water level falls to half its initial quantity and then cool it.
- Rinse out your hair with the mixture once a week.
[ Read : Remedies To Treat Grey Hair Using Amla ]
Boil dried amla in coconut oil till the oil turns black in color. Massage your scalp with this oil. This is an effective and very easy home remedy to check hair loss. There are also other ways where we can include amla in our hair care routine. Here are some methods to use amla effectively to control hair fall:
- Use amla and shikakai powder than you can buy in ayurvedic stores. Mix them both and make a paste. Apply this to your hair. Leave it on for a few minutes and wash off after a few minutes. Caution: If you have dry hair, skip shikakai.
- Mix powdered amla with lime juice. Apply this on your scalp and leave on for some time. Wash off.
- Soak it overnight. Use the water in the morning to rinse off your hair post shampooing.
The most effective method to reduce hair fall is to drink amla and shikakai juice. Yes, it tastes terrible but if you skip the preference of the taste buds once a day, the results will definitely be worth it.
[ Read: How To Prevent White Hair ]
Curd is an excellent remedy for improving the quality of the hair and prevents hair loss as well. It is one of the best conditioners and can be used in various forms:
- Mix curd with black pepper. Apply this on your hair. Wash off thoroughly when dry
- Mix curd with honey and apply this on your hair. Applying curd with honey or lime juice moisturizes your hair.
7. Hair Fall Preventive Packs:
When hair fall is really severe, then a preventive hair pack is the way to go. Here are a few packs, you can try at home.
- Pack 1: Aloe Vera mixed with herbal Amla, shikakai and neem powder gives lustrous hair.
- Pack 2: Henna, egg whites and curd when used together stops hair fall.
- Pack 3: Honey, olive oil, cinnamon mixed together make for a soothing yet effective hair growth pack.
- Pack 4: Wash your hair with a paste made out of neem leaves. Follow it up with rinsing your hair with apple cedar vinegar. Neem acts against scalp oil build up and infection while apple cedar vinegar maintains the alkali balance of the scalp.
You can always go for a hair spa once in a while but natural treatment is always a best idea. Stick to homemade hair masks to reduce hair fall. Keep your hair naturally hydrated.
[ Read: Egg For Hair Fall ]
8. No Junk Please:
Unhealthy lifestyle, eating junk and all these unhealthy habits leads to hair loss. Processed foods are not healthy and it can cause diseases which ultimately lead to a rise in high level of toxins in the body. To counter the toxins you need to drink plenty of water. At least drinking 8 glasses of water on a daily basis is a must and preferably on an empty stomach.Eat fresh home cooked food if you want great hair.
9. Be Gentle With Wet Hair:
Avoid rubbing your hair dry and also avoid combing wet hair. Your hair is more susceptible to breakage when wet and the result will be a clump in your brush and stray strands at your feet.
10. Massage Your Scalp Frequently:
This stimulates blood circulation in the scalp and it also promotes hair growth. You can go for a hot oil massage and turban therapy to control hair fall. Make sure the oil is not too hot otherwise it will cause more harm than good. Listed below are some more ways of massaging the scalp:
- Mix coconut oil, lime water and lime juice. Now apply this mix to get rid of hair fall
- Hair massage can also be done with tree tea, olive oil, lavender oil, sesame oil or almond oil. All these oils are known to be good for preventing hair fall.
- Massage the scalp with fresh coriander juice.
- Boil 250 grams of henna leaves in mustard oil till only 60 grams of it is left. Store this and massage your hair with it.
- Boil methi or fenugreek seeds in coconut or mustard oil. Regularly massage your hair using this preparation
- Massaging scalp with coconut milk strengthens the hair. Grind coconut and strain all the liquid and you have natural coconut milk.
[ Read : Get Rid Of Hair Fall Using Acupressure ]
11. Minimize Pressure:
Don’t always opt for styles that require you to tie your hair up tight. As sleek and fashionable as this may look, it puts a great deal of pressure on the hair which adds to the breakage and hair fall.
12. Avoid Excessive Heat Styling:
Hair styling is essential when you step out. You need to look good at all times in today’s world. But it is necessary that you submit your hair to as less of heat treatment as you can! The heat tends to dry the shaft out making it dry and frizzy which over a period causes the hair to turn brittle. The ultimate result will be hair fall.
[ Read : Homemade Tips For Dry Hair ]
13. Avoid Hot Water For Hair Rinse:
Do not wash hair with hot water because excess heat is really bad for your hair. Always use cold water or water at room temperature. Dry and frizzy hair when you walk out of the shower is the indication that the water was too hot for your hair.
14. Healthy and Nutritious Diet:
All said and done, jut these simple precautions are not going to help. It will always hold true that only when you are healthy inside will your hair be healthy too. Your hair is made up of proteins and is alive at the roots. And like any other living it also requires nutrients to remain healthy and grow. There are a few things that you can add to your diet to ensure that you intake sufficient quantities of these nutrients.
- First and foremost will be proteins of course. They are the building blocks of the hair shaft after all.
- The next in the list will be vitamins. The vitamins that are essential for the hair are Vitamin A, B complex, C, and E. Each of these performs a significant role. Vitamin B complex is most popularly known for its importance in the hair growth and hair fall control. Vitamin C prevents premature graying.
- Last but not the least, Iron. Deficiency of iron can lead to severe hair fall, which is why women suffering from anemia exhibit a great amount of hair fall.
Daily exercising also promotes hair growth. You must be wondering how? Exercise helps in improving metabolism. This allows better absorption of nutrients in your body. Exercise also helps to reduce stress. It releases endorphins or happy hormones which directly help in hair growth. When you are healthy and happy it shows on your skin and hair. So stay cheerful to have healthy glowing hair!
16. Reduce Your Caffeine Intake:
If you already have dry hair, then rethink your coffee habit and evaluate your caffeine consumption. Caffeine further depletes the body of its natural resources of nutrients. And the nutrients required for hair are not spared either! So cut back on the coffee and move on to something healthier and that which promotes good health.
17. Stay Hydrated:
Drink a lot of water and stay hydrated.
18. Use Herbal Products:
Keep the scalp clean and as far as possible away from chemicals. Use a herbal or Ayurvedic shampoo that is mild.
19. Regular Trim:
Trim your hair regularly to avoid the troubles of split ends. Keep your hair clean, use a thin comb to clear nits and head lice.
20. Avoid Residue Build-up:
Have a manageable hairstyle that helps to add volume to your hair. If you are using mousse or serum to add volume, make sure you rinse it off well during washing your hair with a shampoo. These residue stick to the hair follicles and create a breeding ground for dandruff and head lice.
Causes of Hair Fall:
So what is the solution to hair fall? Do anti-hair fall products really help? The answer is just look within. Yes internal problems also triggers hair fall. So before knowing how to prevent hair fall, we should know the reason behind it!
a. Lack of Proper Nutrition:
Hair is made up of a protein called Keratin. For the hair to grow you need to have proteins and iron along with essential vitamins. Ninety Percent of the hair is always in a growing phase, it takes two to three years for the hair to grow and then it enters a resting phase of three months. After that hair sheds and new hair takes its place. So to allow the hair growth you need the right blend of protein and iron. A balanced diet will surely give you healthy hair.
With age hair starts thinning, this happens because the body’s capacity to absorb nutrients decrease.The hair needs 22 amino acids to grow. Due to lack of amino acids from the diet the hair appears thin.
However you can prevent the hair fall due to aging. You need to have soy beans, lean meat, dairy products, fish, eggs and nuts. You can also have fish oil tablets or supplements which is rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
c. Hormonal Changes:
Hair fall or alopecia happens due to high or low hormone levels. Hormones regulate all the organs in the body. Estrogen, progesterone, testosterone are the active hormones in a woman’s body. Female pattern of baldness occurs when the dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels increase in the scalp.
The dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a byproduct of testosterone and it is produced in the follicles where enzymes convert testosterone into DHT. Sometimes genes are responsible in converting testosterone into DHT readily leading to baldness. Also when levels of female hormones decrease the male hormones become active leading to hair fall.
Also progesterone that is secreted in the body during ovulation decreases during menopause. The body produces adrenal cortical steroid called androstenedione. This steroid has male hormonal qualities that cause hair fall.
Hair fall is caused due to stress.There are three types of hair fall that are associated with stress. They are:
- Telogen Effluvium- Stress pushes the hair follicles into arresting phase. After a few days you will noticehair fall.
- Trichotillomania- This is an irrestible urge to pull out hair from the head and eyebrows. Hair pulling can be triggered by emotions like stress, tension, loneliness, boredom and frustration.
- Alopecia Areata- This type of hair loss is triggered by severe stress. Stress weakens body’s immune system and causes hair fall.
However, hair fall caused due to stress is not permanent and it can be controlled. Just practice meditation or yoga to de-stress. Taking deep breaths and drinking water helps.
Androgenetic alopecia is caused by genetic and environmental factors. If anyone in your family has suffered alopecia, there are high chances that you will lose hair too. In women androgenetic alopecia doesn’t cause total baldness but there is visible hair thinning.
f. Prolonged Illness:
Chronic and deadly diseases like cancer, typhoid and jaundice can trigger hair loss.Cancer medicines and chemotherapy cause severe hair loss. Beautiful hair is a reflection of good health, so if there is any problem with your general health it reflects on your skin and hair.
Hair fall happens if you take drugs on a regular basis, but this kind of hair fall is usually temporary. If you have to take medicines for a chronic disease, then hair fall becomes a long term problem. Medicines for glaucoma or beta-blocker drugs, asthma, heart disease, anti-coagulants, anti-depressants, acne medicine like Isotretinoin, anti convulsants, cholesterol lowering drugs, diet and weight loss drugs like Amphetamines, anti-fungal medicines cause hair fall. Also drugs or steroids given to reduce muscle cramps, high blood pressure, gout and inflammation trigger hair fall. If you are having any hormonal pill like birth control pills it can cause hair fall.
h. Thyroid Disorders:
People suffering from Hypothyroid and Hyperthyroidism lose hair. It is a worst symptom of thyroid and it is easily visible. However, it can be treated by doing a proper evaluation by your doctor. You need to give the hormones some time to stabilize. Also try to analyze the type of hair loss you are having and talk to an endrinocologist about it.
i. Fungal Disease or Infections:
Some infection causing agents are responsible for hair fall. Ringworm, which is actually not a worm, is a fungal infection that causes alopecia. The condition is called ‘tinea capitis,’ ringworm is same as athlete’s foot. The ringworm starts as a pimple and it slowly spreads causing a bald patch. The affected area is itchy, red, inflamed and it may ooze.
Some fungal infections disappear on its own. To tackle stubborn fungus like Microsporum Audouinii, Trychophyton Tonsorans and Microsporum Gypseum you need strong anti-fungal medicines. Most common anti-fungal drug is Griseofulvin. Other anti-fungal drugs like Terbinafine, Itraconazole and Fluconazole can be prescribed.
Never share towels, combs and clothes. You can get fungal infection if you’re a regular at swimming clubs, common showers is the place you can probably get these fungal infections.
Giving birth is quite scary for most women, in addition if you are losing bunches of hair it adds to the depression. It happens after the baby is delivered and hormonal changes are the main reason.
k. Over Styling Hair:
We all love to straighten our hair and highlight the hair with some funky colours to look trendy.Other chemical treatments like perming and rebonding can destroy the hair texture. Also using straightening rods and curlers cause strain to the hair and leads to hair breakage and split ends. Also using tight rubber bands and hair accessories can cause hair fall. Never tie a high ponytail, keep it loose and simple, you will still look pretty.
l. Excessive Vitamin A Intake:
According to American Academy of Dermatology hair fall is caused due to overdosing on Vitamin A. One should have only 5,000 International Units of Vitamin A. However this hair fall is temporary and can be corrected by reducing the Vitamin A intake.
m. Vitamin B Deficiency:
This problem of hair fall can be corrected and is very common. You just need to correct your diet. Having fish, meat, starchy vegetables, nuts and avocado can solve your hair woes. You can snack on nuts to get good hair.
n. Autoimmune Disease, Lupus Cause Hair Fall:
Lupus cause ‘scarring’, this means the hair will not grow back. All you have to do is to change your hair style to camouflage the bald patches. Short is better for camouflaging the baldness.
o. Dramatic Weight Loss:
Hair fall can be caused due to physical trauma. Eating disorders like Bulimia and Anorexia cause hair fall. So eating right to reduce chances of deficiencies is very important if you want your hair to shine with a healthy glow.
p. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS):
This is another case of hormonal imbalance. Excess of androgens cause ovarian cysts and affects your menstrual cycle. Polycystic ovaries cause hormonal imbalance and this leads to hair fall.
All the causes sound very common, yet we cannot control hair fall.
A Word of Caution:
When you are using hair fall remedies at home it is necessary to keep a few tips in mind. Here they are:
- Check to make sure that you aren’t allergic to any of the ingredients mentioned in the hair products. Even though herbal products cause fewer reactions than chemicals, some people are known to have allergies to a few specific ingredients. Read labels of hair products carefully.
- Always follow the instructions given in the product label carefully. If you don’t follow the instructions carefully it will lead to hair fall again. It will do more harm than good.
- While you follow these basic daily and weekly suggestions to reduce hair fall, you need to supplement it with some products that you can use everyday or twice during the week. Shampoos are the best example for such products. Supplementing these treatments with a good hair fall defense shampoo can be really useful.
Recommended Hair Products:
Here are a few good hair fall defense shampoo’s you can try.
- The Himalaya anti-hair fall shampoo
- L’Oreal Paris new fall repair 3X Anti hair fall shampoo
- Tresemme hair fall defense shampoo.
There are many more and make sure you try out a few and pick the one most suited to your hair. Remember your hair is precious and you need to pick what works the best for you!
Hair is the barometer of your health. Lead a healthy lifestyle if you want enviable tresses. You can flaunt any hair style with thick hair, so your aim should be to increase the volume of your hair naturally without using any hair serums. Now that you know the causes that trigger hair fall and methods to prevent it, you can take care of your hair even better. So no more embarrassing bald patches to hide! Let your hair shine with health.
Follow any of these simple home remedies and tips for hair loss / fall and get lustrous shining hair with regular practice.
- 12 Natural Remedies For Frizzy Hair
- Hair Care Remedies for Oily Hair
- 10 Effective Home Remedies For Smelly Hair
- 8 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Hair Thinning
- 10 Effective Homemade Protein-Rich Hair Packs
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)
Latest posts by Shabby (see all)
- Comedonal Acne – What Is It And 5 Ways To Control It - March 18, 2014
- 16 Best Pongal Kolam Designs That You Should Try - February 20, 2014
- Top 25 Most Beautiful Athapookalam Designs - November 11, 2013
- 11 Different Types Of Acne And How To Identify Them? - November 8, 2013