Don’t you just hate the appearance of shallow, dark circles under your eyes? Well, fret no more! Here is a detailed post about the causes and remedies of this hideous problem.
Dark circles may be hereditary or part of the ageing process or can even be caused by stress. Dark circles are a problem that occurs irrespective of your skin colour and type. They make you look much older than you actually are! The skin around your eyes is very thin and delicate which makes these dark circles even more prominent. As this region does not have oil glands, it needs special care and attention.
Dark circles are characterized by the blood vessels present underneath the skin’s surface around the eyes. The blood leaks out from the capillaries making the vessels visible through the skin. This discolouration of the skin is likely to affect everyone at some point of time, but for few the darkness around the eyes is seemingly constant and just refuses to leave.
Dark circles can develop at any age but are mainly visible during adolescence, early 20′s and especially in the old age. You can minimize the appearance of dark circles and in some cases completely get rid of them. The most efficient way to prevent dark circles is by following a nutritious diet, which includes fresh fruits and vegetables, salads, yogurt, sprouts, dairy products, unprocessed milk, lentils and beans. Daily exercises along with deep breathing helps blood circulation, oxygenation and controlling stress.
Causes Of Dark Circles:
There are numerous causes of dark circles. Relevant information about the different causes of dark circles will help you choose a better treatment plan. Here are some of the most common causes:
One of the major causes of dark circle is heredity. You are most likely to develop dark circles if your parents also suffer from the same. It happens because your family might have a tendency of having thin skin layer around the eyes or having more blood vessels than the average lot. Or, both the cases can be present. This leads to awfully bad dark circles.
2. Broken Blood Vessels:
If the blood vessels which supply blood underneath the eyes ruptures, it leads to limited blood supply. When the haemoglobin level, oxygen carrying molecule, within the blood is reduced, the result is skin darkening.
Iron deficiency often lead to shortage of oxygenated blood which further aggravates dark circles. Anemia results in improper blood supply. Therefore, the capillaries under the eyes supply insufficient oxygen. Yet dark circles alone do not signify that a person is suffering from anemia. There might be other reasons involved as well.
Perorbital hyperpigmentation is a condition in which the production of melanin around the eyes is more active than average, thus resulting in dark circles.
5. Nutritional Causes:
Not having a proper, balanced diet could be a major cause of dark circle. Deficiency in some nutrients, like iron and Vitamin E can lead to dark circles. Moreover, the type of medications which dilate blood vessels and make them more apparent, cause the emergence of dark circles.
Allergies such as hay fever, dust allergy and mild allergy not only cause itchy eyes, but can also cause skin discolouration which appears as dark circles under the eyes. Some allergies can be treated with medicines, but most drugs often cause dehydration which may cure the itching but may leave you with dark circles around the eyes.
Dehydration also leads to emergence of dark circles. Dehydration symptoms include a dry mouth, dry skin, fatigue, dark coloured urine and of course dark circles. In mild cases, drinking electrolyte rich beverages and adequate consumption of sodium might solve the problem. But if the dehydration is more severe, you may need medical attention.
Smoking leads to vascular problems constricting the blood vessels. This leads to poor circulation of blood which makes the under eye darkness more prominent.
9. Lack of Sleep:
While it may not be the major cause of dark circles, lack of sleep can lead to stress and other health related problems creating a paler, fatigued skin which create hollows under the eyes and makes the dark circle more noticeable. A good 8 hours sleep will be more than sufficient and will help to ward off exhausted looking eyes.
But the main question is how to reduce dark circles right? Allow us to tell you.
How To Remove Dark Circles:
1. Home Remedies:
Some of the best remedies on how to get rid of dark circles lie in our kitchen. Here are some of the best home-made remedies to wash away dark circles:
- Tomatoes are highly effective for treating dark circles. You can prepare a mixture using 1 teaspoon of fresh tomato juice, ½ teaspoon of lemon juice, a pinch of turmeric and gram flour (besan). Apply it gently under the eye and leave it for ten minutes and then rinse it off.
- The cooling properties of cucumber and potatoes make them effective remedies of dark circle. You can apply any of these two on your eyes to diminish darkness and swelling. Slice or grate the two vegetables and place the slice over the eyes. You can also use the juice and dab some with a cotton ball. You can even leave the remedy over night for better results. However, it is advisable to apply juice on the affected area rather than placing slices over the eyes.
[ Read: Home remedies for dark circles ]
- Tea bags are also considered as a beneficial treatment for dark circles. Place one cold tea bag on each eye and let it rest for a while. Pat it dry and you will see your eyes rejuvenated.
- Another effective and one of the most popular remedies to remove dark circles is almond oil. Apply almond oil around your eyes and leave it overnight. Wash if off gently after waking up in the morning.
- Cold compress also helps treat dark circles. You may use an ice bag, cloth dipped in cold water, or a frozen spoon. Simply dab anyone of these near the eyes. This will instantly reduce the appearance of dark circles.
- Crushed mint is a good option for treating under eye dark circles. It gives a cooling effect and immediately soothes tired eyes, which help to reduce dark circles. Place crushed mint leaves around the eyes and leave it for a while. Wipe off the residue with damp cotton.
- Water is the most essential component and the pillar of all remedies. It promotes proper blood circulation around the eyes and prevents blood accumulation. Drink around 8 to 10 glasses of water daily to flush off toxins and have a healthy skin.
- You can also apply a mixture of pineapple juice and turmeric under your eyes.
- Dip cotton balls in rose water and keep on the under eye area for 20 minutes. This will also help to reduce dark circle.
- Cut some fresh figs in half and keep them under the eyes. Keep it there for 20 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
- Soak few saffron strands in milk overnight and prepare a paste. Apply it over the dark circles under the eyes and massage foe a while before washing the eyes.
- Apply cold milk or iced water compress over the eyes and leave for 15 – 20 min. This is also quite effective.
Eat fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins and iron. Blend 2 fresh tomatoes, lemon juice and a pinch of salt and drink the juice daily or every alternate day for a healthy skin and refreshed eyes.
[ Read: Under Eye Dark Circles Removal ]
Daily exercises along with deep breathing improves blood circulation, oxygenation and controls stress. Accompanied with adequate sleep and relaxation, a daily exercise regime leads to a healthier lifestyle resulting in reduced dark circles.
Gentle movements and a light touch are essential while removing makeup and applying creams. Avoid massaging the area as that might pull and drag the skin and stretching of the skin often leads to wrinkles. Massaging should be done by professionals so that correct techniques are employed.
A cleansing gel or a makeup remover should be used to remove every trace of makeup with a cotton wool. Gels and creams help to dissolve makeup and grime and thus facilitate their removal.
[ Read: Hide Dark Circles Perfectly ]
3. Dark Circles Treatment:
a. Chemical Peeling:
Chemosurgery is commonly known as chemical peeling. It involves a number of chemical agents to treat various skin conditions like hyperpigmentation on the face or body, scars due to acne or wounds and fine wrinkles. Chemical peeling is a non-evasive treatment for dark circle. A chemical peel is generally performed by a dermatologist and anesthesian. Chemical peels helps to rejuvenate the skin around the eyes by exfoliating the damaged upper layer of the skin to reveal a new and healthier skin layer.
The latest and the most effective and soothing peels for dark circle is Argi peel which contains arginine, lactic acid, allantoin and aloe vera. Arginine is an amino acid derived from brown sugar which boosts collagen, increases elasticity and moisturises the skin. Lactic acid exfoliates and lightens the skin. Allantoin and aloe vera helps to soothe and regenerate the skin. This is used in conjunction with vitamin C and matrixyl that provides firmness and resistance to the skin around the eye.
The skin on the eye lid is very thin, so medium or deep chemical peels are not advised as they have a potential to cause damage to the eye balls. Superficial peels like Glycolic or AHA peels are normally used in such cases, because they are the weakest variant of chemical peels and do not penetrate very deeply.
b. Intense Pulse Treatment:
Intense Pulse Treatment (IPL) reduces dark circle by destroying pigment cells that cause discolouration and smoothens the skin under the eye. IPL uses high energy light waves to penetrate the skin under the eye. The light waves constrict blood vessels which results in less prominent discolouration. IPL treatment is one of the most effective dark circle treatments but it is too costly. A person will be required to sit for several sessions to achieve the desired results. The frequency of the treatment depends on the magnitude of the circles and overall health and lifestyle of the patient.
c. Laser Treatment:
Laser treatment is another effective treatment for dark circle removal. With laser treatment, the fat deposited under the eye is targeted. After the laser treatment, the skin under the eye becomes smooth and less discoloured.
In laser treatment, an ultraviolet light or infrared invisible light is used to create a wave length that releases energy as they move across the skin. The energy is absorbed through the skin layers and gives a soothing effect, while correcting the dark and irregular skin pigments that cause dark circle.
Eye surgery for dark circle is known as blepharoplasty which is performed by a plastic surgeon. The under eye fat deposits are removed resulting in less puffiness, less discolouration and more lively eyes. There are two types of under eye surgery. One is transcutaneous lower lid blepharoplasty where 1 or 2 incision below the lower lid eyelashes is made. It is the ideal solution for those who have more skin under the eye.
The second one is for dark circles under the eye. A local anaesthesia is given for general comfort and may even result in some bruising and swelling lasting for about a week. It’s better to weigh the pros and cons before going for the surgery.
4. Creams For Dark Circles:
Various topical creams, ointments and gels are available in the market to minimize the appearance of dark circles. You have to ensure that the creams contain active ingredients which can give optimum results. These active ingredients include vitamin K which helps to reduce dilated blood vessels; and vitamin C and alpha hydroxyl acids which aids in the stimulation of the collagen production of the skin. These nutrients also help lessen the appearance of dark circles caused by ageing and genetics. Some of the best under eye cream available in India are:
a. Aroma Magic Under Eye Gel:
This is one of the most affordable and effective under eye gels available in the Indian market. This under eye gel gives an immediate cooling effect and refreshes the eyes. It effectively combats dark circles and tired looking eyes with regular application. You will find visible improvement in about one month of usage which leaves the skin fresh, healthy and nourished. It retails Rs 120 and is easily available at leading online shopping sites.
b. Khadi Under Eye Gel:
Khadi Under Eye gel contains some natural ingredients like olive oil, almond oil, wheat germ oil, soy protein and aloe vera which not only moisturises the under eye area, but also provides an instant cooling effect to the eyes. With gradual time, this eye gel reduces puffinesss and fines lines around the eyes and refreshes exhausted eyes. Khadi under eye gel is available for Rs 225 and is available at all leading stores.
c. Wunder Eye Cream:
Wunder Eye Cream is available in 15 grams at Rs 500. In spite of being a cream, this eye cream is extremely light in texture and gets absorbed in the skin within seconds. It keeps the under eye area moisturised for the whole day and reduces the eye puffiness, but works on dark circles only to an extent. It might not effectively remove extremely stubborn dark circles. You can find this cream at any drug store.
d. Oriflame Eye Cream, Seeing is Believing:
This is a light weight eye cream which helps to reduce puffiness, brightens the eyes, reduces dark circles and smoothens lines around the eyes. With regular usage, the shadow under the eye gets reduced and it reduces puffy eyes within 2 weeks. The cream retails Rs 498 and is available only through Oriflame agents.
e. The Body Shop Vitamin E Eye cream:
The Body Shop Vitamin E Eye cream is a moisturising eye cream that protects the delicate skin around the eye and reduces the appearance of dark circles, fine lines, puffiness and wrinkles and keeps the skin soft and smooth. The Body Shop Vitamin E Eye cream is available at all The Body Shop outlets at Rs 1025 for 15 ML.
More than any eye cream or gel, our eyes need good care, rest, proper sleep and nutrients to keep us healthy from inside, not just externally.
Here is an easy DIY recipe to get rid of Under eye dark circles.
Dark Circle Removal – Easy recipe
What you will need for this:
- One Potato
- One Cucumber
- Little Coconut Oil/Almond Oil
How to Prepare:
- Peel the potato and cucumber and grate them separately.
- Take equal quantities of both and mix well.
How to use this for under eye dark circles removal?
- Apply on the area around the eyes and leave on for 20-25 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Take a little coconut oil on the tips of your fingers and massage on the dark circles in circular motion, first clockwise and then anticlockwise.
- Leave this overnight.
Benefits of this DIY recipe:
- Potato, a good bleaching agent is useful for skin that has turned dark or pigmented.
- Cucumber is a cooling agent and improves the appearance of the under-eye area.
- Coconut oil keeps the delicate area around the eyes naturally moisturized and eliminates dark circles, wrinkles and blemishes.
Frequency of Application:
Do this every day for a minimum of 2 weeks to start noticing a difference. Once you achieve the desired results, you can apply this every alternate day.
As you know:
Natural Remedy = Patience
Do not expect instantaneous results but be assured that results will show up with regular usage.
Hope now you know how to remove dark circles completely. Do share your views in the comments section below. Stay fit, stay healthy!
- Under Eye Dark Circles Removal: Simple DIY
- 8 Simple Ayurvedic Ways To Treat Dark Circles
- 4 Simple Steps To Hide Dark Circles Perfectly – A Pictorial
- Top 11 Beauty Tips For Dark Circles
- How To Use Almond Oil To Reduce Dark Circles?
Melanin gives the skin its characteristic color. When the cells that produce melanin or melanocytes stop functioning or die, white spots appear on the skin. It is...>>
What are spider veins or Telangiectasias? Spider veins are caused due to...>>
Do you look at the glossy magazine pages and crave for that crystal clear skin like models? We all do, don’t we. cc licensed ( BY SA ) flickr photo...>>
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)