What is the first thing that comes to our mind when we are very tired and thirsty? A glass of cold water, right? It feels like heaven to grab a glassful of chilled water, especially in summer. But there are many people who avoid drinking cold water, no matter how thirsty or tired they are. And this is because they believe that warm water is more beneficial to health than cold water. But, is this true? Let’s take a look at Ayurveda’s take on this.
Ayurveda says that drinking cold water should be avoided at any cost, especially while eating food. Drinking cold water while having food leads to the diminishing of agni, or the digestive fire, which then leads to indigestion and accumulation of toxins in the body.
It is said that drinking hot water at night is beneficial in case of diseases that are related to kapha imbalance. It decreases the fat deposition in the body and cleanses the urinary bladder.
Some of the benefits of drinking hot water are as follows:
1. Helps In Detoxification
Drinking hot water helps in getting rid of the accumulated toxins in the body. Hence, it is always recommended to drink a glass of warm water along with honey or lemon every morning.
2. Boosts Digestion
Drinking a glass of hot water early in the morning activates the digestive system and improves the metabolism of the body.
3. Relieves Constipation
Drinking hot water stimulates the blood flow to the intestines, which then helps in the bowel movement.
4. Relieves Congestion
People suffering from congestion (both throat and nasal) can get relief by drinking hot water.
5. Helps In Healing Inflammation On The Skin
Drinking hot water helps in reducing the pitta, which, in turn, helps in getting rid of skin inflammations, including acne and rashes.
It also increases the blood flow to the tissues and can, thus, be helpful in providing relief from pain. Now you know why it is always advised to drink hot water to deal with menstrual cramps.
Apart from these benefits, it also suggested that Ayurvedic medicines like ajamodadi churna and anthrakutharam gulika have to be consumed with hot water to derive maximum benefits.
Usually, you are asked to drink hot water after consuming oil or ghee as it aids in digestion. Intake of hot water is also recommended during the Panchakarma treatment,
an Ayurvedic procedure that helps in getting rid of toxins and metabolic wastes from the body. There are many rules that you need to follow while undergoing this treatment, and drinking hot water is one of them. It helps in maintaining our health and preventing diseases from attacking our bodies.
There are special water recipes that help in balancing the body types according to the doshas.
1. Hot Water To Balance Kapha
- To prepare this recipe, boil two liters of water in a pan for five to 10 minutes.
- Once the water starts boiling, take the pan off from the heat and add two to three basil leaves to it along with thin slices of ginger, one-fourth teaspoon of cumin, and half teaspoon of fennel seeds.
- Mix the ingredients well and keep it in a thermos.
- Take small sips throughout the day.
2. Hot Water To Balance Vata
- To prepare this, again boil two liters of water in a pan. Remove it from the heat once it starts boiling.
- Add three mint leaves, half teaspoon of fennel seeds, and one-fourth teaspoon of marshmallow root.
- Fill this in a thermos and sip it throughout the day.
3. Hot Water To Calm Pitta
- Boil two liters of water. After removing it from heat, add one-fourth teaspoon of fennel seeds, one clove, and two rose buds.
- Fill it in a thermos and take small sips throughout the day.
Note: While we mention hot water, make sure the temperature of the water is suitable enough to consume or else, you will end up burning your mouth.
The only time you must avoid drinking water is after an intense workout as it increases the temperature of the body even more.
We hope you find this information helpful. In case of any doubts or queries, post them in the comments section below.
Latest posts by Jyotsana Rao (see all)
- 13 Common Signs You May Have Kidney Disease - November 29, 2016
- Have 3 Dates Every Day For 1 Week. This Is What Will Happen! - November 24, 2016
- 51 Surprising Uses Of Essential Oils That Will Blow Your Mind - November 23, 2016
- What Does Your Menstrual Cycle Say About Your Health - November 22, 2016
- Girls, Avoid These 4 Beauty Habits That Are Bad For Your Skin And Cause Wrinkles On Your Face - November 15, 2016