The sun, the balmy air, and the lazy days at the beach — summer is nothing short of bliss. Unfortunately, summer can also cause hair fall.
A study states that hair fall is the maximum during summer (1). Hair is basically to insulate our head. In summer, such intense insulation is not required. So, the body lets some of the hair fall out to keep our heads cool.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t take preventive measures to lessen this hair fall. All you have to do is show your scalp and hair some TLC and let nature take its course. Try these natural methods to control the heartbreaking hair fall and flaunt a fuller head this summer.
How To Prevent Hair Fall During Summer
1. Warm Coconut Oil Massages
A warm oil massage not only rejuvenates your senses but also does a whole lot of wonders for your hair.
Coconut oil reduces protein loss in both undamaged and damaged hair, whether used as a prewash or postwash product (2). The massage helps to stimulate blood flow to the scalp and facilitates the growth of new hair.
You can also add essential oils to coconut oil to massage the scalp. Massage the scalp with warm coconut oil at least three times a week, and you will notice a remarkable change in the quality of your hair. Keep the oil on overnight and shampoo it out the next day. Over time, your fair will feel thicker, silkier, and softer.
2. Diet And Hydration
When it comes to hair care, diet plays a very important role. Your diet should contain adequate amounts of nutrients like iron, zinc, biotin, niacin, vitamin C, vitamin D, and omega-3s and omega-6s (3). However, studies linking these nutrients to hair loss are limited, and more research is required.
Include more nuts in your diet, like almonds and walnuts. Eat fresh, healthy, and local produce.
If you think supplementation is required, do consult a doctor. It is never a good idea to go for supplementation without medical supervision because over supplementation can lead to hair loss as well.
Dehydration can also cause the hair to get brittle and break off. And it is a serious problem during summers because we tend to sweat a lot. Make sure you consume 2-3 liters of water every day. Consume fruits and vegetables that have high water content, like cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelon, etc.
3. Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe vera has been used for ages for its healing properties and preventing hair loss (4). Drinking aloe vera juice can strengthen your hair from within.
You can also apply it topically. Apply the raw gel of the aloe plant on your scalp. You can scoop out fresh gel from the leaf or buy it from a store.
Doing this treatment regularly can condition and improve damaged, dry hair. Since aloe vera has antifungal and antiviral properties, it also combats issues like dandruff by hydrating the scalp (5).
4. Deep Conditioning
There are many natural ingredients that reduce hair loss. All you need to do is mix some of them and make a love potion for your hair. You can deep condition your hair using these treatments and encourage new hair growth.
Try this mask. Whisk two eggs and add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Add one teaspoon of olive oil and half a tablespoon of honey. Mix it well and apply the paste on your scalp. Keep it on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
Apple cider vinegar lowers hair’s pH, making your hair stronger and shinier. A study published in the International Journal of Trichology shows that high alkalinity may increase friction between the hair fibers, leading to damage to the cuticles and hair breakage (8).
Use this mask regularly to make your tresses stronger and healthier. Here are a few more hair masks that treat hair loss effectively.
5. Reduce Heat Styling
As a general rule, if you love your hair, keep heat styling to a minimum – avoid it completely if possible. Regular heat styling can lead to hair breakage and thinning. That’s why you should set hair straighteners, curling tongs, and crimping irons to 180 degrees or lesser. Also, always use a heat-protecting misting spray before applying heat.
You can also opt for protective styles that keep the hair healthy. Braid it before sleeping and cover it with a scarf when you go out in the sun.
There are some basic things you can follow to keep the seasonal hair loss to a minimum. They are discussed in the next section
How To Prevent Hair Fall In Summer
- Keep your scalp clean and dry.
- Shampoo three times a week with a sulfate-free, paraben-free product.
- Air-dry your hair before tying it up.
- Make sure you protect the scalp from dust and sweat because this can fuel issues of dandruff.
- Try to avoid air conditioning as it tends to dry out your hair and scalp.
- Do yoga and workout regularly to increase blood flow to your scalp.
With proper care, it is possible to keep your crowning glory intact the next time summer comes around. Keep these few things in mind and flaunt your hair all through the year. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Take care!
Expert’s Answers To Readers’ Question
In which season does hair fall out most?
People experience maximum hair fall during summers.
Which is the best shampoo for hair fall in summer?
Any sulfate-free, paraben-free shampoo would be ideal. Here are a few shampoos you can try.
Is it normal to lose a lot of hair in the shower?
Yes, it is normal to find clumps of hair in the shower drain. However, if you are worried about it, you should consult a doctor.
- “Seasonality of hair shedding in healthy women complaining of hair loss.” Dermatology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- “Hair Cosmetics: An Overview” International Journal of Trichology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- “Diet and hair loss: effects of nutrient deficiency and supplement use” Dermatology Practical & Conceptual, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- “Evaluation of the Nutritional and Metabolic Effects of Aloe vera” NCBI Bookshelf, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- “Effectiveness of five antidandruff cosmetic formulations against planktonic cells and biofilms of dermatophytes” Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- “Top 10 Foods To Reduce Hair Loss” New York College of Health Professions.
- “Medicinal and cosmetic uses of Bee’s Honey – A review” Ayu, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- “The Shampoo pH can Affect the Hair: Myth or Reality?” International Journal of Trichology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Re’equil Hair Fall Control Serum Reviews
- Mamaearth Onion Hair Oil Review
- Trichup Hair Fall Control Hair Oil Reviews
- Himalaya Anti Hair Loss Cream Ingredients
- How To Use Mamaearth Anti Hair Fall Kit?
Latest posts by Harini Natarajan (see all)
- 11 Best Espresso Machines Under $200 - March 7, 2021
- 21 Amazing International Women’s Day Facts - March 4, 2021
- The 10 Best Gas Grills Under $500 – Reviews & Buying Guide - March 1, 2021
- The Best Ways To Straighten Your Hair At Home - February 25, 2021
- How Long To Keep Henna On The Hair - February 25, 2021