19 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Banana For Skin And Hair
Bananas are exceptionally healthy food that provides numerous health benefits. It is a versatile fruit that contains many nutrients including vitamins A, B, C and E along with minerals like potassium, zinc, iron and manganese. Just as eating a banana helps in utilizing the banana nutrition to keep your body in good health and great shape, while application of this fruit on your hair and skin will help you to keep them in great condition. The banana benefits are many and they are discussed below!
Banana benefits for skin:
Banana fruit has nutrients that are essential for the skin. They contain significant amounts of vitamin C and B6 which plays vital role in maintaining the integrity and elasticity of the skin.
In addition, the large amount of antioxidants and manganese present in banana protect the body from damage caused by oxygen free radicals which lead to premature aging of the skin. So a major benefit from banana is younger looking skin. Banana has about 75 per cent water by weight in it. Thus banana helps hydrate your skin and prevents it from drying and peeling.
Here are some benefits of banana for skin care:
1. Natural Moisturiser:
Banana is a great natural moisturiser for your skin. The Vitamin A present in banana restores the lost moisture and repairs the damaged, dull and dry skin. To instantly moisturise dry and dull skin, mash a ripe banana and apply it on your face. Avoid contact with eyes. Leave it on your skin for 20-25 minutes and then wash it away with lukewarm water. You will instantly feel skin looking soft and supple.
If you extremely dry and flaky skin, you can also add honey to this face mask.
This banana and honey mask also helps in getting rid of skin pigmentation.
Another easy face mask to get moisturised skin is to mash half a ripe banana and mix it with 1 tbsp. yogurt and 1 tsp. Vitamin E oil. Apply it generously on a clean face and wash it away after 30 minutes.
2. Glowing Skin:
Banana contains generous amount of Vitamin C in it that help in maintaining the natural and youthful glow of the skin.
Here are some banana face masks that you can use to get that natural glow back on your face.
- Mash half a ripe banana and mix it with 1 tbsp. of sandalwood powder/paste and ½ tsp. of honey. Let it stay on your skin for 20-25 minutes and wash it with lukewarm water. This face mask is beneficial for oily skin as sandalwood helps in cleaning excess sebum and oil from the skin while banana keeps it moisturised.
- Mash one ripe banana and mix it with lemon juice form one lemon (approximately 2-3 tbsp.). Leave it on for 25 minutes. This mask is full of vitamin C which will get rid of dullness and help in reduction of spots and blemishes.
3. Banana Skin Scrubs:
[ Read: Papaya Benefits ]
Banana is full of anti-oxidants; mixed with a few ingredients, it not only helps to get rid of dead skin but also leaves it feeling rejuvenated.
Here are some banana based scrubs that you make using ingredients available in your kitchen
- Take mashed banana and 1 tbsp. of sugar and mix them well. Apply it on your skin and rub it in circular motions. Banana will moisturise the dry skin while sugar granules will get rid of the dead skin
- Mash a ripe banana; add 2-3 tablespoons of oats, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon milk. Apply it on your face and leave it 5 minutes, then slowly rub it on your skin. Wash with cold water. In case you have extremely dry skin, you can substitute milk with fresh cream.
- Take half a ripe banana, 1 tbsp. coconut milk, 2 tbsp. uncooked rice, blend everything together to get a thick paste. Gently massage your face with this paste and wash with cold water afterwards.
- To make a body scrub, mash 2 bananas with 4-5 strawberries using a blender. Mix 3 tablespoons of sugar and use it as a body scrub when you take a bath.
Nutrients in banana helps in fighting wrinkles and keeps the skin youthful. For an anti-aging facial mask loaded with vitamins A and E, mash together an avocado and a banana. Leave on skin for 25 minutes and rinse. Skin will be soft and youthful. The vitamins E in avocados combined with the nutrients in bananas fight free radicals and repair damage.
Another simple face mask to fight effect of ageing is to mash 1/4 banana until very creamy and add one teaspoon of rose water. Apply it on face and neck and wash it off after half an hour.
[Read:Benefits Of Banana Juice]
5. Foot care:
The moisturizing property of banana can be used to get rid of cracked heels. All you need to do is mash the pulp of two ripe bananas and apply this pulp on clean, dry feet. Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse the feet clean. The banana pulp will penetrate deep into dry, cracked skin to create soft and supple feet.
6. Goodbye puffy eyes:
Mash half a banana and apply generously around the puffy eyes. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinsing with cool water. The puffiness will vanish instantly. The potassium rich banana draws out excess fluid from under my skin and reduces the swelling immediately.
You can also apply the banana peels instead of mashed banana. This tip can also be used whenever you apply any face pack and think about putting cucumber slices on your eyes.
Banana Benefits for Hair:
Banana is rich in potassium, natural oils, carbohydrates and vitamins which help in softening the hair and protects the hair’s natural elasticity preventing split ends and breakage. Banana creates manageability, shine, growth and controls dandruff. Just like a banana facial mask enhances the glow of your face immediately, the following banana hair masks will also improve your hair dramatically. Here are some of the banana for hair benefits.
7. Mix ripe banana with avocado and add coconut milk to the mixture. Apply it on your hair and wait for 15-20 minutes. The pack conditions damaged hair and makes the hair soft. Instead of avocado, you can also make the same mask by adding cocoa. Presence of cocoa helps in bringing out the natural colour of the hair.
8. Peel a banana and add 1/4 cup of olive oil and one egg white and put in a blender. Puree for a couple of minutes. Let it stay on your hair for 15 minutes followed by hair wash with your favourite shampoo and conditioner.
10. Just like the way honey and banana face pack nourishes your dry skin, the same works great for your dry hair as well, mix three spoons of honey with ripe banana and apply it on your hair while it is still wet. Let the hair pack sit for 15-20 minutes followed by the usual hair wash.
11. Another simple yet effective hair mask to repair dry and damaged hair is to make banana pulp with a few drops of almond oil. Leave it for 10-15 minutes. The vitamin A and C present in banana along with Vitamin E of the almond oil leave your hair silky and shiny not to mention extremely moisturized and soft.
While applying any of the above hair masks, it is essential keep two things in mind so that you don’t end up with chunks of banana in your hair post hair wash. First, whenever you use banana for hair mask, make sure it is in pulp form and there are no chunks. Just to be sure, blend all the contents of the hair mask. Secondly, never let these hair masks dry on your hair completely. The hair mask should still be wet when you wash your hair so that you can easily get rid of the banana which otherwise tends to stick. You might feel that your hair a little stiff when they are drying but once they dry completely; you will be able to see the results.
Benefits of Banana Peel for skin:
Banana is a very popular natural element when it comes to beauty as it is not just the fruit that you can use but the peel itself is full of anti-oxidants and can be used for a lot of home remedies.
12. To treat acne with banana peel, cut a small piece of the peel. Rub the inside of the peel gently over the acne affected area. Rub for about 5 minutes or until the inside of the peel gets brown. Clean the skin around with lukewarm water but let the banana dry out on the affected area to do. Repeat this at least 3 times a day and the acne and pimples will subside within a week.
13. If you suffer from itchy and swollen skin, just rub the banana peel on the effective area and you will feel the itching and swelling subside.
14. Banana peel can also be used to get rid of wrinkles. Apply fresh peel on the affected area for 15 minutes every day and there will be noticeable change in a few weeks.
[Read:Benefits Of Capers]
15. Banana peel is also helpful to treat warts and psoriasis. Just apply the banana peel on the affected area and rub it for 10-12 minutes twice every day. The results might take time to show but this definitely works much better than artificial creams and treatments for these skin problems.
16. Bananas and beauty sleep:
We all know how essential a good night sleep is for maintaining the health of your skin and hair. Melatonin is the sleep inducing hormone in the human body and Tryptophan is an amino-acid that is necessary for the production of this sleep hormone.
Bananas not only contain large amounts of tryptophan and serotonin but also have very high carbohydrate content in them that helps the brain to utilize tryptophan and serotonin to produce the sleep hormone. Eating banana few hours before you go to bed will help you in getting that essential beauty sleep and thus a refreshed and healthy skin.
Eating one banana a day, keeps beauty problems at bay:
Now that we have talked about the beauty benefits of applying banana let’s talk about eating it. Consuming banana itself has a lot of beauty benefits.
17. Banana is a fruit that is rich in potassium. Potassium is known to help in increasing blood circulation in the body which in turn lead to glowing skin and enhances hair growth.
18. Also if you are trying to let go of habits like smoking or drinking coffee, that are actually really harmful for the skin and hair, increase your consumption of bananas.
19. Scientific studies prove that banana aids in curbing the craving for nicotine, caffeine and is a mood lifter and also helps in maintaining energy levels in the body. Thus banana helps you to counter all the withdrawal symptoms that you face when you try to quit such habits.
As you can see for yourself, banana has a lot of beauty benefits especially when it comes to skin and hair. It is full of nutrients that help in keeping you healthy, not to mention how affordable and easily available it is everywhere and round the year. So get into the practice of using banana, and make it a part of your daily diet and beauty routine and you will not only save some money but will also get beautiful skin and hair without exposing them to unwanted chemicals. So what are you waiting for? When it comes to beauty, let’s go bananas!