You must be familiar with Aloe Vera – the cactus-like plant with tiny thorns commonly found in our kitchen gardens. Many of us must have also used facial creams and shampoos enriched with Aloe juice. With so many benefits to offer, no wonder why Aloe Vera was considered the plant of “immortality” by the Egyptians.
But do you know why this short and cacti plant is known as the ‘miracle plant’? In this post, we will be discussing the various benefits of Aloe Vera juice, also known as ‘Ghritkumari Saar’ in Hindi.
Aloe Vera is a succulent plant species that has thick fleshy stems with spiny leaves. The fleshy stem contains the Aloe juice which is being used for various purposes since the beginning of the first century as an excellent home remedy. The juice and the gel are used in numerous medicinal, cosmetic and health treatments.
How To Make Aloe Vera Juice
- Cut and open a few stems of the plant from the middle section. Choose the outer stems as they are the most mature of all and have the highest concentration of antioxidants.
- The liquid which oozes out is the fresh aloe gel.
- Squeeze out the entire gel from the stem and store in a bowl.
- Put the gel in a blender and add around 1 cup of water.
- Blend them to get pure Aloe Vera juice. Use the extracted juice within 3-4 days. Otherwise, the juice will lose the antioxidants.
Both the Aloe juice and gel are powerhouses of antioxidants, antibiotics, work as stimulators of cell growth and have scar and pain inhibitor properties. Aloe vera juice is a rich source of essential nutrients. It is an energy drink which replenishes the body with all the deficient vitamins and minerals. Aloe Vera juice contains a large amount of antioxidants and antibiotics that help in stimulating cell growth (1). The juice also
helps to reduce chronic pain and minor infections naturally. They are rich in the following vitamins and minerals:
7. Folic acid
8. Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C, E
9. Amino acids
Aloe Vera Juice Benefits
Benefits Of Aloe Vera Juice For Health
- Aloe Vera is very useful for curing bowel problems due to its high anti-inflammatory properties.
- Having Aloe juice for two weeks can help reduce inflammation in the body like rheumatism, inflammation of ears and eyes and arthritis.
- Applying the gel externally can ease muscle and joint pains. But do not forget to use freshly prepared gel.
- Having severe digestive problems? Drink Aloe Vera juice as it reduces symptoms of heart reflux and stabilizes the alkaline levels of the body. Due to its laxative properties, it is also good for constipation.
- Aloe is great for maintaining the cholesterol level by reducing triglycerides. Include fresh Aloe juice in your daily diet to maintain your cholesterol level and increase the level of good cholesterol.
- Want to lose weight naturally? By aiding the stabilization of metabolic rate, reducing lipid levels and helping burn fat, Aloe Vera juice is useful for weight loss.
- Studies have shown that regular consumption of Aloe juice improves oral health and hygiene. It reduces gingivitis and plaque formation. It provides a laxative relief for cold sores and mouth ulcers.
- Aloe Vera is good for diabetes patients because it helps to regulate the blood sugar levels when consumed regularly. However consult your doctor before you start consuming the aloe juice.
- Mix two teaspoons of fresh Aloe Vera juice with one glass of water and drink it every day early in the morning. This will help detoxify and cleanse your system. This also helps in treating ulcers and detoxifying the digestive system.
- Applying fresh aloe gel directly to the gums reduces the pain and inflammation.
- Create your own natural eye wash with Aloe Vera gel. Mix two teaspoons of aloe gel in a cup of water. You can also add a teaspoon of boric acid. Use this eye wash to reduce the reddening and irritation in the eyes.
- Suffering from constant sinus problems? Now ditch your medicines and try the natural option. Aloe Vera is rich in magnesium lactate that works as an antihistamine which helps in reducing the problem of sinus and chest inflammation due to various allergies.
- Fight away cancer with the regular intake of the aloe juice. It contains high level of anti-carcinogenic properties that hinder the growth of tumours.
- Drinking aloe juice regularly replenishes the amino acid deficiency in your body. The high vitamin content in it boosts up your body’s immune system and self-defense mechanism.
- Those who regularly suffer from cold, coughs, flu, stuffy nose, bronchitis, and other respiratory disorders, Aloe Vera juice is the best natural solution.
Benefits Of Aloe Vera Juice For Skin
Aloe Vera is suitable for all skin types including highly sensitive skin. You must have seen and used various skin care products which contain the Aloe gel. It is the most common remedy for all skin problems.
- The anti-aging property of Aloe keeps the skin supple and rejuvenated and also lightens blemishes.
- It moisturizes the skin and gets rid of dead cells along with wrinkles and fine lines. It also helps in getting rid of stretch marks.
- Men can use Aloe Vera gel as an after shave. It reduces the irritation and inflammation of the skin and heals the cuts due to shaving.
- Suffering from acne for a long time? Then make Aloe Vera your friend as it is the best natural remedy for curing acne and pimples and also its scars. It has antimicrobial property that helps kill the bacteria causing acne and reduces the acne marks by lightening the skin.
- All of us apply numerous sun blocks and creams to prevent harmful sun rays from damaging our skin. But the rays sometimes penetrate through them. Aloe Vera gel is highly beneficial for treating sunburns. It is an excellent cooling agent. Apply fresh gel on your skin every day to get immediate results. It reduces the pain and the redness of the skin and forms a protective layer which reduces further damage.
- It heals cuts and wounds, dermatitis and also insect bites when applied externally.
- Aloe gel is hydrating and moisturizes the skin well. So it can be used in all weathers to prevent dry and patchy skin.
Benefits Of Aloe Vera Juice For Hair
Excessive exposure to dust, sun and pollution make your hair extremely dry, brittle, and damaged. It strips your hair of all its natural oils and moisture causing split ends and dandruff. Aloe Vera is useful for all hair types, especially for dry and damaged hair. Regular use of Aloe Vera in your hair packs; make your tresses smooth, soft and damage-free.
Following are some of the benefits of aloe vera for your hair.
- Promotes hair growth: Aloe Vera is rich in proteolytic enzymes which help to remove the dead skin which clogs the pores of the scalp, which hinders the growth of new hair follicles. Accumulation of excessive sebum on the scalp can lead to hair problems like partial baldness. So the Aloe gel removes the sebum making the scalp squeaky clean and promoting hair growth.
- Maintain the pH balance: Aloe Vera has alkaline properties which help to maintain the pH level of the scalp and hair. This keeps the hair moisturised and helps the hair to retain natural moisture. This leads to further hair growth.
- Reduces dandruff: Aloe Vera is widely used for curing dandruff since the ancient times. Due to its property of enzymatic breakdown of skin cells and antifungal properties, it helps to reduce dandruff from the scalp. It also heals scalp diseases like psoriasis and seborrhoea.
- Hair Conditioning: You can add two teaspoons of fresh Aloe gel into your favourite conditioner and use it daily. This would enhance the moisturizing properties of your conditioner as it deeply hydrates your hair giving you soft and smooth hair. You can also make these following hair packs for hair conditioning at home.
How to Take Aloe Vera Juice?
Aloe Vera is rightly referred as “the wonder of nature”. You will enjoy the optimum benefits of this plant when you include it into your regular diet. Fortunately, there are some mouth-watering recipes of Aloe Vera juice that you can prepare right at your home.
1. Aloe Vera Virgin Juice
Aloe Vera virgin juice is the best way to enjoy the fullest nutritional benefits of Aloe Vera. To make aloe virgin juice, cut the aloe leaves first into few centimeters long, and boil them with a pinch of salt. Avoid over boiling the leaves. Let it cool down for an hour. Squeeze the pulp of the leaves and add a hint of lemon for taste. You can add a little water to dilute the thickness of the juice. Drinking the virgin Aloe Vera juice regularly is excellent to control cholesterol and excessive body weight.
2. Fruity And Lemony
To fruits like cucumber, lemon, apple, orange, add a tbsp of Aloe Vera pulp. Blend all fruits together. Add lemon juice at last. Refrigerate the drink for some time for a rich taste. The juice is highly nutritious as other fruits along with aloe add to nutrition value. It is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants.
3. Exotic Aloe Vera Juice
To make exotic Aloe Vera juice, you require a cup of freshly cut pineapple, half cup diced carrots, a green apple, two tbsp of Aloe Vera juice, and one tsp of coconut milk. Blend all these ingredients together to make a drink. This fruit juice is an excellent antibacterial and antiviral drink suitable for all.
The recipes are pretty easy, and the nutritional value is exceptionally high. Do not skip this wonder drink and you will see remarkable differences in your health, skin and hair.
Face Packs Using Aloe Vera Juice/Gel
1. Aloe Clay Pack
- In the multani mitti paste, add half a teaspoon of Aloe gel.
- Then add a few drops of rosewater and honey and mix well to get a smooth paste.
- Apply on the face and keep for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
2. Aloe Fruit Pack
- Blend a few pieces of your favourite fruits like papaya, banana, apple, orange, etc.
- Into this add a teaspoon of the aloe gel and mix well.
- You can also add a teaspoon of almond oil or wheat germ oil if you have dry skin.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse with cool water.
3. Rosewater And Almond Pack For Dry And Sensitive Skin
- In 2 teaspoons of aloe gel, add a teaspoon of rosewater and almond oil.
- Then add fresh cucumber paste and mix well to form a smooth consistency.
- Apply and keep for 15 minutes and rinse with cool water.
- This face mask also acts as an excellent scrub. It hydrates and smoothes oily skin, removing the dead cells, oil, and excess sebum.
4. Oatmeal And Cucumber Pack For Dry And Sensitive Skin
- In a mixing bowl, add two teaspoons of oatmeal and cucumber paste.
- Into this, add one teaspoon of aloe juice and mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Gently scrub in circular motions.
- Now lie down for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
5. Green Tea Mask
- This face mask is especially beneficial for women with premature aging. Green tea and Aloe are rich in antioxidants that help to fight free radicals and reduce signs of aging.
- Mash ¼th avocado pulp and cucumber puree in a bowl.
- Into this add a teaspoon of the Aloe gel and green tea water.
- Mix well to form a paste and apply on the skin. Keep on for 20 minutes and rinse with warm water.
6. Moisturising Mask
- Shea butter has excellent hydrating and moisturizing properties. It is an essential ingredient in various creams and lip balms.
- In one teaspoon of aloe gel, add one teaspoon of olive oil and Shea butter.
- Mix and mash all the ingredients, for a nice smooth paste.
- Apply and leave the mask on for 20 minutes and wash with cool water.
- This face pack is ideal for dry and sensitive skin people.
Hair Packs Using Aloe Vera Juice/Gel
1. Cleansing Pack
- In two teaspoons of besan, add curd and one teaspoon of Aloe Vera gel.
- Mix well to form a smooth hair pack and apply on hair.
- Rinse off after 30 minutes with a mild shampoo.
2. For Soft Hair
- In three teaspoons of Aloe gel, add one teaspoon of lemon juice and coconut oil.
- Massage onto the scalp and keep for 20 minutes.
- Wash off your hair with a shampoo.
3. Hibiscus Pack
- In a blender, add the Aloe gel and a handful of hibiscus leaves. You can also add the flowers for better results.
- You will get a smooth green paste. Apply this on the root and hair strands and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash with shampoo. You may also have to shampoo your hair twice to remove this hair pack.
You can also apply fresh Aloe gel directly on the scalp and wash off after 20 minutes with mild shampoo. It works wonders for your hair giving you soft, smooth, and healthy hair.
Hope after reading this post, you now know the reasons why Aloe Vera is known as the “miracle plant”. Include this in your daily skin and hair care routine and see the difference yourself.
Till then take care and keep it stylish!
Latest posts by Ankita Biswas (see all)
- 6 Turmeric Face Packs For Different Skin Types - January 21, 2014
- Best Leave-in Conditioners – Our Top 10 Picks - December 3, 2013
- 6 Types Of Meditation Techniques And Their Benefits - November 26, 2013
- Top 10 Meditation Videos For Reference - November 13, 2013