Red wine is a type of wine made from the European or dark-coloured grapes’ variety. Its colour is derived from a vast assortment of grapes, ranging from red, deep purple and even blue grapes. The skin of the grapes is kept in close contact with the grape juice during the fermentation process, allowing the dispersion of both the colour and the tannins. There are around 50 red wine varieties in the wine market. Common red wine varieties include cherry, plum, strawberry, raspberry, gooseberry, boysenberry, raisin, coffee, fig, currant, mocha, violet and even tobacco. Each of these differ in characteristics such as the grape variety, colour, flavour, mouth feel and ageing potential.
Red Wine Benefits
For the convenience of reading, we have split in this into the benefits of red wine for health, skin and hair.
Red Wine Health Benefits:
1. Can Protect Your Heart:
Heart diseases are becoming very common nowadays. Though there are various natural remedies to prevent them, very few are aware of these. Red wine serves as a healthy beverage that can protect your heart from diseases. This is because red wine contains strong antioxidants that prevent the accumulation of fat in the arteries which, in turn, prevents heart strokes and heart attacks. This is the prime benefit of red wine.
2. Peaceful Sleep:
Red wine can give you a peaceful sleep due to the presence of a substance called melatonin. Melatonin can stimulate your body clock and keeps you healthy. So consume a moderate amount of red wine (50 to 100 ml) before bedtime for a peaceful sleep.
3. Lowers Cholesterol:
The French are the largest consumers of red wine and they consume it regularly as a part of their diet. They also consume cheese and other foods that have high saturated fat but their body metabolic rate is always healthy. This is because red wine lowers the cholesterol content and avoids the accumulation of saturated fat.
4. Prevents Cold:
Red wine has certain components that can prevent a cold. Researchers have proved that it can prevent nose block that is caused by a cold and can help you breathe easy.
5. Healthy, Glowing Skin:
Everyone wishes to have a healthy glowing skin and this magic is one of the many benefits of drinking red wine. The red wine benefits for skin is because of the antioxidants that protect your skin and prevent it from ageing. That’s why some parlours are now providing red wine facials.
6. Reduces Mortality:
Every living being is mortal but there are also certain natural substances that can prolong your mortality and improve your health – one such substance is red wine. Red wine is said to increase the life span to a certain extent when consumed regularly in moderate amounts. This is one of the most amazing red wine health benefits.
7. Can Prevent Cancer:
Red wine contains a component called guercetin that can prevent lung cancer. It can also lower the risk of breast cancer and reduces the growth of cancerous cells due to the presence of resveratrol.
8. Can Regulate Blood Sugar Levels:
The substance called resveratrol has various health benefits and it can also stimulate insulin secretion from the pancreas that, in turn, reduces the glucose level in the blood. So, consuming red wine can prevent diabetes type 2 in animals and humans.
9. Stronger Teeth:
Red wine contains polyphenol that helps to strengthen the gums and prevent gum inflammation. Further, it can also prevent the teeth from decaying by hardening the enamel.
10. Anti-Inflammatory Property And Healthy Brain:
The antioxidant called resveratrol has anti-inflammatory properties that can protect the body from various diseases caused by inflammation. Apart from this, it also boosts the brain by providing the brain health, memory power and preventing diseases like dementia.
[ Read: Benefits Of Wheatgrass Juice ]
Red Wine Skin Benefits:
Red wine is considered to be one of the healthiest drinks and was used for medicinal purposes in ancient times. French people drink red wine almost daily to stay fit and healthy. Apart from offering health benefits, red wine works wonders for the skin too. Some of these include:
11. Wine facials are gaining immense popularity with every passing day. It gives a refreshing glow to the skin while removing tan and blemishes. The anti-ageing properties of a wine facial make it even more beneficial. Its therapeutic properties de-stress and rejuvenate the skin. After thorough cleansing and steaming the face, a facial of wine mixed with herbs like rosehips, fruits like strawberries, grapes, stonecrop and essential oil is applied to the face. The skin is then massaged for 10 minutes and later, the facial is removed with cold water to close the pores. If you have a sensitive skin, ask the parlor lady to mix red wine with some rose water.
12. The scrub and exfoliant made of red wine too are the latest additions to beauty therapy. Take 1 tablespoon of pip pulp and 1 tablespoon of crushed grape skin. Add 2 tablespoon of red wine to it and use this scrub to exfoliate your face and body. This will eliminate the dead skin cells and will improve the blood circulation to give you a healthy skin.
13. Red wines, particularly organic red wines, are packed with antioxidants like flavonoid, resveratrol and tannin that are very good for the skin. They help fight free radicals and ageing by restoring collagen and elastic fibers. Thus, it plumps out the wrinkles and gives a boost to sagging skin. The application of red wine topically on the skin reduces fines lines and wrinkles, and lightens skin pigmentation.