Red wine is a type of wine made from the European or dark-coloured grapes’ variety. Its colour is derived from a vast assortment of grapes, ranging from red, deep purple and even blue grapes. The skin of the grapes is kept in close contact with the grape juice during the fermentation process, allowing the dispersion of both the colour and the tannins. There are around 50 red wine varieties in the wine market. Common red wine varieties include cherry, plum, strawberry, raspberry, gooseberry, boysenberry, raisin, coffee, fig, currant, mocha, violet and even tobacco. Each of these differ in characteristics such as the grape variety, colour, flavour, mouth feel and ageing potential.
Red Wine Benefits
For the convenience of reading, we have split in this into the benefits of red wine for health, skin and hair.
Red Wine Health Benefits:
1. Can Protect Your Heart:
Heart diseases are becoming very common nowadays. Though there are various natural remedies to prevent them, very few are aware of these. Red wine serves as a healthy beverage that can protect your heart from diseases. This is because red wine contains strong antioxidants that prevent the accumulation of fat in the arteries which, in turn, prevents heart strokes and heart attacks. This is the prime benefit of red wine.
2. Peaceful Sleep:
Red wine can give you a peaceful sleep due to the presence of a substance called melatonin. Melatonin can stimulate your body clock and keeps you healthy. So consume a moderate amount of red wine (50 to 100 ml) before bedtime for a peaceful sleep.
3. Lowers Cholesterol:
The French are the largest consumers of red wine and they consume it regularly as a part of their diet. They also consume cheese and other foods that have high saturated fat but their body metabolic rate is always healthy. This is because red wine lowers the cholesterol content and avoids the accumulation of saturated fat.
4. Prevents Cold:
Red wine has certain components that can prevent a cold. Researchers have proved that it can prevent nose block that is caused by a cold and can help you breathe easy.
5. Healthy, Glowing Skin:
Everyone wishes to have a healthy glowing skin and this magic is one of the many benefits of drinking red wine. The red wine benefits for skin is because of the antioxidants that protect your skin and prevent it from ageing. That’s why some parlours are now providing red wine facials.
6. Reduces Mortality:
Every living being is mortal but there are also certain natural substances that can prolong your mortality and improve your health – one such substance is red wine. Red wine is said to increase the life span to a certain extent when consumed regularly in moderate amounts. This is one of the most amazing red wine health benefits.
7. Can Prevent Cancer:
Red wine contains a component called guercetin that can prevent lung cancer. It can also lower the risk of breast cancer and reduces the growth of cancerous cells due to the presence of resveratrol.
8. Can Regulate Blood Sugar Levels:
The substance called resveratrol has various health benefits and it can also stimulate insulin secretion from the pancreas that, in turn, reduces the glucose level in the blood. So, consuming red wine can prevent diabetes type 2 in animals and humans.
9. Stronger Teeth:
Red wine contains polyphenol that helps to strengthen the gums and prevent gum inflammation. Further, it can also prevent the teeth from decaying by hardening the enamel.
10. Anti-Inflammatory Property And Healthy Brain:
The antioxidant called resveratrol has anti-inflammatory properties that can protect the body from various diseases caused by inflammation. Apart from this, it also boosts the brain by providing the brain health, memory power and preventing diseases like dementia.
[ Read: Benefits Of Wheatgrass Juice ]
Red Wine Skin Benefits:
Red wine is considered to be one of the healthiest drinks and was used for medicinal purposes in ancient times. French people drink red wine almost daily to stay fit and healthy. Apart from offering health benefits, red wine works wonders for the skin too. Some of these include:
11. Wine facials are gaining immense popularity with every passing day. It gives a refreshing glow to the skin while removing tan and blemishes. The anti-ageing properties of a wine facial make it even more beneficial. Its therapeutic properties de-stress and rejuvenate the skin. After thorough cleansing and steaming the face, a facial of wine mixed with herbs like rosehips, fruits like strawberries, grapes, stonecrop and essential oil is applied to the face. The skin is then massaged for 10 minutes and later, the facial is removed with cold water to close the pores. If you have a sensitive skin, ask the parlor lady to mix red wine with some rose water.
12. The scrub and exfoliant made of red wine too are the latest additions to beauty therapy. Take 1 tablespoon of pip pulp and 1 tablespoon of crushed grape skin. Add 2 tablespoon of red wine to it and use this scrub to exfoliate your face and body. This will eliminate the dead skin cells and will improve the blood circulation to give you a healthy skin.
13. Red wines, particularly organic red wines, are packed with antioxidants like flavonoid, resveratrol and tannin that are very good for the skin. They help fight free radicals and ageing by restoring collagen and elastic fibers. Thus, it plumps out the wrinkles and gives a boost to sagging skin. The application of red wine topically on the skin reduces fines lines and wrinkles, and lightens skin pigmentation.
14. Wines also contain natural AHAs, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Applying red wine on the face fights acne and clears the pores to prevent further breakouts. It also treats oily and congested skin.
15. Do you want to get rosy and glowing cheeks? It’s quite simple! Apply a few drops of red wine on your cheeks to get that natural, rosy blush.
16. Red wine is very rich in amino acids that boost the skin renewal and fight the harmful rays of the sun to prevent sun damage. The reactive oxygen species react with UV rays to destroy the cells and cause sun burn. The antioxidants in red wine create a protective barrier against sun damage to prevent skin cancer. Red wine should not be considered as a substitute to sunscreen.
17. Drinking red wine stimulates the development of new cells in the skin’s outer layers. It improves the hydration of the skin to make it look younger, supple and glowing. If you have q dry skin, massage your face with red wine to keep it nourished and moisturized.
18. For a clear and glowing skin, massage your face with red wine. Red wine contains polyphenols that prevent cell oxidation and transform a dull complexion to its original glow in a jiffy. Spray red wine on your face and massage your skin with it gently for 10 minutes. Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash off. Mix red wine with 2 teaspoons of oatmeal and massage your skin with it. This will remove the dead skin cells to give you a clear and glowing skin naturally.
19. Red wine can also be used as a toner to keep your skin clear, soft and supple. Soak a cotton ball in red wine and apply it on the skin. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then wash off.
20. Red wine can also help you lighten your skin tone. Beat 1 egg and add 5 teaspoons of red wine to it. Then add 2 teaspoons of honey and beat thoroughly. Apply it on your face and let it sit for 20 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water. You can also use yoghurt in place of eggs.
[Read: Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar ]
Red Wine Hair Benefits:
21. We all desire long, silky and shiny hair but preparing a hair mask can be quite a tedious task. So, here is a simple trick to get silky and shiny hair. Shampoo and condition your hair as usual and use red wine as a final rinse. This will give you thick and lustrous hair in no time.
22. Resveratrol, a substance found predominantly in red wine, is considered as a preventer of hair loss. It inhibits inflammation and cell death to prevent hair fall and aids in hair growth.
23. Drinking half a glass of red wine daily increases the blood circulation in the scalp and strengthens the blood vessels to reduce flakiness, dandruff and itchiness of the scalp.
[Read: Health Benefits Of Pecans ]
Selection And Storage:
Proper wine storage is essential to maintain its quality, color, taste and flavor. Wine is quite perishable because of its low alcoholic content, so it should be stored with immense care. Red wine bottles should be ideally stored on their sides rather than upright. This will ensure that the corks stay moist. If the corks dry out with time, air can seep through, oxidize and spoil the wine.
People generally think that a wine’s taste keeps getting better with age, but this is not the case with all wines. The majority of red wines made today are meant for immediate consumption. These wines do not improve with age and should be consumed within a month or two. Red wines that are meant to improve with age last long but only with proper storage.
Red wine should be stored away from the UV light of the sun and even strong, fluorescent light as these can spoil it. Wine is usually stored in dark bottles to reduce the exposure but this does not completely secure its taste as even little light can seep through. You can keep the wine in a box or wrap in a cloth. Wines should be stored away from chemicals, food and other household odors as the cork of the bottle is quite porous; it can easily absorb scent or odor, ruining the taste and flavor of the wine. You can store your red wine in a specialized wine cellar to maximize the storing capacity. The wine should not be subjected to any kind of vibration as vibration interferes with ageing and stirs up the sediments that aid the maturing process.
Temperature is one of the most important factors influencing the quality and development of wines. The ideal serving temperature of wine is between 50 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit. Serving wine too warm makes the taste of alcohol overly evident and serving it too cold will make it more bitter and astringent.
Allow the bottle to stand upright for a few moments before serving it so that any sediment present in the wine can settle down. Once opened, try to finish the bottle within 2 to 3 days as oxygen begins to enter the bottle, ruining and degrading red wine. You can store it in the refrigerator for a day or two, and remove it in advance to warm it up to a suitable temperature. Red wine is best served in a distinct oval or egg-shaped glass to enjoy it to the fullest.
Red wine is used in cooking, as a marinade, as a cooking ingredient and as a flavoring agent in a finished dish. Adding wine to cooking intensifies the flavor and aroma of food. Care should be taken regarding the amount of wine used during cooking; putting too little wine will be inconsequential and too much will be very overpowering. Use a small yet substantial quantity to enhance the flavor of the dish. Do not add wine to the food just before serving as it gives a harsh quality to the dish. Simmer wine for 10 minutes with the food or sauce to enhance the dish. Since red wines are highly acidic in nature, they punch up the flavors in the dish, provided there is not too much tannin in them.
Red wine is mainly used for flavoring desserts. It used for braising and stewing meat, and for deglazing pans to make sauce for chicken or steak. Even dry red wine is used for cooking.
Drinking red wine in moderation is the key. Drinking too much of red wine can be very harmful to your health. Restrict your consumption to one or half a glass of red wine a day.
Hope you liked the article. Do leave your comments below.
Latest posts by Arshi Ahmed (see all)
- 10 Best Neem Soap Brands You Can Try - September 29, 2014
- 6 Simple Steps To Prepare Apple Cider Vinegar - September 27, 2014
- 50 Amazing Workout Hairstyles You Can Try - May 15, 2014
- 21 Effective Home Remedies For Red Eyes - April 12, 2014
- How To Improve Blood Circulation in The Body – 18 Effective Home Remedies - April 12, 2014