The 3 day diet is a low calorie diet designed to achieve short term weight loss. This diet is very specific and stresses on the consumption of balanced foods comprising of proteins, fruits, vegetables and grains. The calorie consumption is restricted. This diet should not be followed for a time period exceeding 3 days and the best part is exercise is not required. This dietary programme claims a weight loss of about 4.5 Kgs in 3 days. This diet results in weight loss due to a sudden drop in calories.
The dieter consumes less than 1200 calories in these 3 days leading to a slowdown in the body’s metabolism. The 3 day diet plan can be repeated after 4 to 5 days of regular eating. This diet plan is suitable for those who wish to lose 10 pounds for a special occasion like an engagement or a part. However, in order to retain the weight loss, it is advisable to slowly revert to normal eating after the 3 days of diet.
[ Read: General Motor Diet Plan ]
The 3 Day Diet Menu:
The three day diet is very specific about the foods to be eaten. The combination of foods included in this diet is responsible for creating a unique metabolic reaction that causes fat burning. The plan also insists on drinking 4 cups of water or low calorie drinks daily.
This plan allows three meals daily with no snacks resulting in the loss of lean muscle mass and water weight. Thus the diet provides an average intake of around 700 calories. An example of a 3 day diet menu is given below. The foods are specific for each day and substitutions are not permitted.
|DAY 1 (Total Calories: 870)|
|Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water (0 cal) 1/2 Grapefruit or Juice (41 cal) 1 slice toast with 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter (178 cal.)||1/2 Cup of Tuna (100 cal) 1 slice toast (83 cal) Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water (0 cal)||3 oz. any lean meat (94 cal) 1 cup green beans (34 cal) 1 cup carrots (52 cal) 1 cup vanilla ice cream (288 cal) 1 medium apple Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water (0 cal)|
|Total Calories: 219||Total Calories: 183||Total Calories: 468|
|DAY 2 (Total Calories: 1149)|
|Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water (0 cal) 1 egg (any style) (78 cal) 1 slice toast (83 cal) 1 banana (105 cal)||1 cup 2% cottage cheese (203 cal) 5 saltine crackers (70 cal) Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water (0 cal)||2 beef franks or hot dogs (300 cal) 1/2 cup carrots (26 cal) 1 banana (105 cal) 1 cup broccoli or cabbage (35 cal) 1/2 cup vanilla icecream (144 cal) Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water (0 cal)|
|Total Calories: 266||Total Calories: 273||Total Calories: 610|
|DAY 3 (Total Calories: 859)|
|Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water (0 cal) 5 regular saltine crackers (70 cal) 1 oz.(slice) cheddar cheese (100 cal) 1 small apple (52 cal)||1 hard boiled egg (78 cal) 1 slice toast (83 cal) Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water (0 cal)||1 cup tuna (200 cal) 1 cup carrots (52 cal) 1 cup cauliflower (23 cal) 1 cup melon (57 cal) 1/2 cup regular vanilla ice cream (144 cal) Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water (0 cal)|
|Total Calories: 222||Total Calories: 161||Total Calories: 476|
There are some foods which can be consumed as a substitution to the list of foods mentioned above. You can replace one of the following with any one food listed below them:
For 1 slice of whole wheat bread toast,
- 1 ounce of sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup of whole grain cereals
- 5 ounces of meal replacement shake
- 1/2 high protein nutrition bar
- 1/2 teaspoon of flax seed in 1/4 cup of low fat yogurt
For 1 banana:
- 2 kiwis
- 2 apricots
- 1 cup of papaya
For peanut butter:
- Soy butter
- sunflower kernels
- Sunflower seed butter
- Cottage cheese
- Pumpkin seeds
- Flax seeds
For hot dogs:
- Veggie dogs
- Half cup beans or lentils
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of seeds or nuts
- 1 chicken wing
- 2 slices of bacon
For vanilla ice cream:
- Banana flavored milk
- Apple juice
- Low fat yogurt
For green beans:
- Lettuce leaves
- 3 cups of raw spinach
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 whole bell pepper
- Brussels sprouts
For coffee or tea:
- Sugar free hot chocolate in hot water
Exercise is not included in this diet. The rationale behind exclusion of exercise is that you might not have enough energy to exercise due to the drastic cut in calories intake. However, if you have the energy, you can resort to moderate activities like running or walking on a daily basis or muscle strengthening activities for a couple of days. Exercise will not help in reducing weight but it may reduce your appetite, thus making it easier to follow the diet. Aerobic exercises are more effective in suppressing appetite than non-aerobic ones. Meditation is safe during this diet but only for a short duration.
Exercise gains importance once the 3 day diet is over. This is due to the fact that after a reduction in calories in the course of diet, the weight is re-gained once you start normal eating. Therefore, the exercise levels should be increased in order to retain the weight loss.
[ Read: Diet Recipes Lose Weight ]
Tips to Reduce Appetite:
Feeling starved is a phenomenon that is observed in almost every diet due to the restrictions placed on certain foods. Thus, decreasing the appetite makes the diet relatively easier to follow. A limited amount of food is consumed during the 3 day diet and so these tips can be followed to decrease the appetite and trigger weight loss.
- Drinking water: Drinking water throughout the day will quench your hunger to a great extent. Besides, research has proved that water consumption accelerates the rate at which calories are burnt. Moreover, drinking lime/lemon water is particularly helpful in losing weight. At least 8 ounce glasses of fluids every day is recommended for better results.
[ Read: Hcg Diet Menu ]
- Getting enough sleep: Those who do not get enough sleep tend to feel hungrier and thus have a greater appetite. This is because the body hormones go into a direction that leads to weight gain. Hence, the importance of sleep cannot be undermined.
Benefits of The 3 Day Diet:
- It is effective when it comes to rapid weight loss (about 10 pounds in 3 days).
- It is cheap as the foods like coffee, tuna, cottage cheese and vegetables are affordable.
- It is simple and easy to follow as ingredients are easily available and the meals are simple and easy to prepare.
- Weight loss leads to several cardiovascular benefits such as reduced blood pressure and a decrease in bad LDL cholesterol.
- No side effects, whatsoever, are associated with this diet. However, those who have health issues should consult their physician before following it.
Drawbacks of The 3 Day Diet:
- The 3 day diet is considered as a fad diet. Though it is effective for weight loss, much of it is lean muscle mass or water weight is quickly regained once you start eating normally.
- This diet can cause electrolyte imbalance which disrupts the normal heart rhythm leading to massive loss of water weight and muscle cramping. This upsets the balance of certain minerals in the body like potassium which may interfere with the function of your heart with fatal consequences.
- Though the weight loss leads to cardiovascular benefits, gaining and losing weight on a continuous basis can stress the heart.
- Following this diet on a regular basis can cause nutrient deficiencies, long term weight gain, a weakened immune system and heart problems. It is low in iron and calcium. Deficiency of iron can cause anaemia and lack of calcium can weaken the bones.
- This diet is potentially dangerous for diabetics.
- You have to compromise your taste buds as there are no exotic ingredients, frozen meals or powdered shakes. Moreover, it completely eliminates snacks from the menu.
- This diet is not suitable for children and teens because a growing child requires adequate calories and nutrition for development and this diet is lacking in both. Moreover, it can cause potential eating disorders.
[ Read: Indian Diet Chart for Weight Loss ]
Thus, the 3 day diet produces favourable effects in terms of weight loss but only on a short term basis. It fails to inculcate healthy eating habits and choosing small portions of meals. Therefore, it is more important to choose a well-balanced weight loss plan including exercise that controls calories every day and incorporates a wide variety of healthy foods.
Hope, this 3 day weight loss diet plan helps you with effective results. Please share your experiences in the comments section below.
- 3 Day Tuna Diet Plan To Lose Weight In 3 Days
- 7 Day Weight Loss Diet Plan For Vegetarians
- 7 Day Meal Plan For A Healthy Diet
- 17 Day Diet – What Is It And How Does It Help You Lose Weight?