8 Yoga Mudras To Overcome Any Ailments
From insomnia to ear ailments - manage them all with these simple mudras.
If you wonder whether you can bank on yoga mudras for ailments, you have come to the right place for advice. What are mudras in the first place? Yoga is not just about curling and twisting your body in different poses. It also involves specific mudras that regulate the energy flow into the body. These gestures are adopted during meditation and pranayama to stimulate specific brain areas. So, what are the different types of yoga mudras? Which ailment does each of these mudras target? Keep scrolling to find out the answers.
In This Article
Hand Yoga Mudra And Their Benefits
Click here to view an enlarged version of this infographic
There are many different yoga mudras and each of them have a different benefit. Below is the explanation for each.
1. Gyan Mudra
This is the first yoga mudra pose known as Gyan Mudra or the Mudra of Knowledge.
How to do?
Practice this mudra when meditating. It’s perfect when you do it before sunrise, at the time of Brahma Muhurta. Touch the tip of your index finger with the tip of your thumb. The other three fingers, you may keep it straight or just keep it free, doesn’t matter even if they are slightly bent. This is a very commonly used mudra when practicing meditations.
This is a very beneficial mudra and anyone can practice this.
- As the name suggests, this mudra is meant to increase your concentration and memory power.
- This mudra sharpens your brain power.
- It has the ability to cure insomnia.
- Practice this mudra regularly to heal yourself of all mental and psychological disorders like anger, stress, anxiety or even depression.
2. Vayu Mudra
How to do?
This mudra can be practiced in a standing, sitting, or an assumed supine posture. Fold your index finger. As you fold your index finger, you can prominently see two bones of the said finger. They are called phalanx bones. It is the second bone that needs to be secured and pressed down onto the mound of the palm by the thumb as shown in the above picture. The rest of the three fingers should be kept extended as much as possible.
Do this at any time of the day as per your convenience. There is also no compulsion of doing this at an empty stomach. You may also practice this mudra with a full stomach.
Once you achieve the benefits from this mudra, stop doing it. After a certain time, it may cause imbalance within your system.
As the name suggests vaayu mudra, it balances the air element within your body. This mudra releases excess wind from stomach and body, thereby reducing rheumatic and chest pain and helping in relieving abdominal gas.
3. Agni Mudra (Mudra of Fire)
How to do?
Fold your ring finger and press the second phalanx with the base of your thumb while resting the bent finger on the mound of the palm. Keep the rest of the fingers straight. This mudra should be practiced only in sitting position early in the morning with an empty stomach. Maintain this mudra for atleast 15 minutes every day.
But if you are suffering from acidity or indigestion, avoid this mudra.
- It helps to dissolve the extra fat boosting metabolism and controls obesity.
- Quickens digestion.
- Improves body strength.
- Reduces stress and tension.
- Controls high cholesterol levels.
4. Prithvi Mudra (Mudra of Earth)
How to do?
Touch the tip of your ring finger with the tip of your thumb. Pressing the tips of these two fingers, keep the rest of the fingers extended out.
It is preferable that you perform this mudra in the morning. However you may even do it at any time of the day and for any duration. As the name suggests, it is a grounding mudra, and hence, a lotus stance is very helpful to reap benefits of this mudra. Sit in a padmasana keeping the palms of both your hands on your knees with straight elbows. Perform this asana when you feel stressed out and exhausted. Padmasana accompanied by this mudra will immediately perk you up. This is also an amazing mudra yoga for glowing skin.
Nothing at all. Perform this asana freely. But since this mudra is assumed in a lotus position, care should be taken not to sit too long so that no stiffness or discomfort is felt in the knee or the hip joint.
- It improves blood circulation throughout the body.
- Increases patience and tolerance.
- Increases concentration while meditating.
- Helps strengthen weak and lean bones.
- It reduces weakness, exhaustion, and dullness of mind by creating a grounding effect as the name of this mudra suggests.
- This mudra makes you more beautiful by improving your complexion and giving a natural glow to your skin.
5. Varun Mudra (Mudra of Water)
This is the best yogic mudra for your outer beauty. It has a positive effect on your skin and keeps it away off all problems. A very effective yoga asana for your overall health let us learn to do this mudra with perfection.
How to do?
Lightly touch the tip of your little finger with the tip of your thumb. The rest of the fingers should be kept straight. There is no specific time to perform this mudra. You may do it at any time of the day and in any position, but sitting cross-legged when doing this mudra is preferable.
Take care not to press the tip of the little finger near the nail. That will cause dehydration instead of balancing the water level in your body.
A number of benefits can be achieved by doing this mudra:
- Varun Mudra balances the water content in our body.
- It activates fluid circulation within the body keeping it moisturized always.
- It relieves skin issues like dryness, skin diseases, and skin infections.
- It adds a natural glow and luster to your face.
- Varun Mudra also relieves and prevents any muscle pains that you may suffer from.
6. Shunya Mudra (Mudra Of Emptiness)
How to do it?
Press the first phalanx of your middle finger with the thumb.
- Practicing this mudra with full concentration is suggestive of relieving ear ailments.
- It is also very helpful if someone is deaf or mentally challenged. But those who are handicapped inborn won’t benefit from this mudra.
After you are cured of these diseases, stop practicing this mudra.
7. Surya Mudra (Mudra Of The Sun)
How to do it?
Press your ring finger and press it with the thumb just as shown in the picture.
- It is quite beneficial when it comes to reducing bad cholesterol.
- Want to lose weight? This is an amazing yoga mudra for weight loss that comes handy.
- Reduces anxiety.
- Also improves your digestion.
8. Prana Mudra (Mudra Of Life)
This is a very important mudra as it activates the energy in your body.
How to do it?
This yoga mudra pose should be accompanied along with padmasana. Bend your ring finger and little finger and touch the tip of both these fingers with the tip of your thumb.
There is no specific time to perform this asana. Any time of the day will be suitable.
- This mudra improves your immune system.
- It also increases your eye power and stimulates the eyes.
- It reduces fatigue and tiredness.
Yoga mudras impact our health positively by regulating the flow of energy into the body. If you want to improve memory, concentration and immunity, treat insomnia, relieve stress, anxiety, and depression, enhance digestion, boost metabolism, and improve blood circulation, practice the eight mudras discussed in the article. You may integrate them with meditation and pranayama, and witness the results for yourself. However, strictly follow the cautions mentioned in the article to avoid negative effects. You may even practice them under the supervision of a yoga instructor for better results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you do mudras while walking?
Yes, you can do yoga mudras while walking (1). But make sure you are focused.
Can we do mudras after eating?
Yes, you can do yoga mudras after eating. All you need to do is be fully concentrated.
Which mudra is good for diabetes?
Mudras like surya mudra, prana mudra, and linga mudra may be beneficial for managing diabetes (1).
- Gyan Mudra can help improve concentration and sharpen the memory; it is also beneficial in dealing with depression.
- Vayu Mudra is beneficial in relieving excess gas from the stomach and alleviating chest pain.
- Prithvi Mudra can help increase blood circulation in the body, strengthen weak bones and support concentration.
- Surya Mudra is known for controlling bad cholesterol in the body and improving digestion.
NOW WATCH -Yoga Hand Mudras – Lexi Yoga
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Mudra Therapy and Its Classification