Using guava leaves as a natural remedy for hair is getting more popular today. These leaves are touted as the next big thing for fighting hair loss and promoting hair growth. Latest trends reveal that people believe But is there any truth to these claims? Or are these leaves just another temporary beauty fad?
Well, guava leaves have strong anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and potent antioxidant properties. These can promote scalp health (1). The leaves might also have anti-dandruff properties. Since guava leaves are loaded with nutrients like vitamins B and C, they are believed to cause hair follicle stimulation and boost hair growth (2), (3). As per research, using these vitamin-rich leaves improves your long-term hair health.
Keep reading to find out more about the benefits of using guava leaves for healthy, shiny, and thick hair.
In This Article
How To Use Guava Leaves For Hair Growth
Using guava leaves on your hair can leave it feeling soft and looking lustrous and increase its volume, providing hair nourishment. A herbal shampoo with guava leaf extracts was found to promote hair growth and resolve hair issues (4).
Follow the steps below to make your very own guava leaf hair care solution only with natural ingredients, to combat hair fall and promote hair growth.
You Will Need
- A handful of guava leaves
- 1 liter water
- A pot for boiling
- Pour the water into the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Add the guava leaves to the boiling water.
- Let the water boil for 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and let it cool.
How To Apply
- Wash and cleanse your hair with shampoo and skip conditioning.
- Once your hair is almost dry, section it and apply the guava leaf solution.
- Massage the solution into your scalp for at least 10 minutes and ensure that all of your hair saturated with it.
- Pay extra attention to the roots and tips while you apply the solution.
- You can leave this solution on for up to 2 hours. Optionally, you can wrap your hair in a towel and sleep with the solution in your hair.
- Rinse the solution out of your hair with lukewarm water.
How Often You Need To Apply
If you are experiencing hair fall, use this guava leaf solution thrice a week. If you are using it to speed up hair growth and keep your hair shiny, use it twice a week.
- Ensure that the solution has cooled down to room temperature before you start applying it to your hair.
- Do not rinse your hair with hot water as this will dry out your scalp and hair.
Other Benefits Of Using Guava Leaves For Hair
- Guava leaves contain vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that neutralizes the free radicals and protects your hair from damage (5).
- Guava leaves contain many bacteriostatic and fungistatic agents that can help prevent infections in the scalp (6). This can promote a healthy scalp and hair vitality.
- Massaging the lotion into your scalp improves blood pressure, which helps the follicles receive more nutrition. This results in healthy hair growth. However, more studies are required to arrive at a conclusion.
- They can help remove the build-up of dirt and grime from your hair and unclogs your follicles. This helps prevent oiliness and dandruff.
- The removal of dirt helps smooth down your hair shafts, making them soft and shiny.
- This herbal treatment may help with scalp rejuvenation and hair regenration.
Infographic: Top 5 Amazing Guava Leaves Benefits For Hair
Guava is one of the most loved fruits because of its mind-blowing sweet taste and its health benefits. However, recently, guava leaves have been making news due to their hair benefits, and we couldn’t be more thrilled. You can now use guava leaves to get healthy and shiny hair at home. Check out the infographic below to learn more.
Using guava leaves for hair has many benefits. They make your hair soft and increase hair volume. Guava leaves are Antioxidant-rich and protect the hair from damage. Their antibacterial properties may prevent bacterial and fungal infections on the scalp. These nutrient-packed leaves remove dirt, additional impurities, and excess oil from the scalp and prevent dandruff. Guava leaves also contain medicinal properties that can relieve and manage multiple ailments (7). In addition, they decrease hair issues and stimulate hair growth. While using the DIY guava hair solution, massage it into your scalp before rinsing it off. For best results, use this solution thrice a week.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I wash my hair with guava leaves?
Yes. Washing your hair with a guava leaves solution can improve your hair health.
Can guava leaves darken hair?
Yes. Guava leaves can prevent the discoloration of your natural hair and help restore color to graying hair.
How do you store guava leaves?
There are a few ways to store guava leaves after cleaning them:
- Spread them in a single layer on a tray to dry for 3-4 weeks.
- Tie the ends of several leaf stems together and place them between stacks of papers.
- Seal them in a bag and hang it in a warm and dry place.
- If the leaves are turning brittle, you may store them in an airtight container, away from sunlight in a low-temperature and low-humidity environment. You will need to use the leaves within a year.
- The vitamin B- and C-rich leaves of guava promote the growth of new hair.
- It also helps keep the scalp healthy by treating dandruff and strengthening hair follicles.
- Applying guava leaf solution to the hair and scalp can help absorb its nutrients.
- Guava leaves also protect the hair from damage and improve blood circulation of the scalp.
Unlock the secret to luxurious hair growth with guava leaves! Discover how to harness the power of guava leaves to nourish your scalp and stimulate hair growth naturally through the video below. Watch it now!
- Metwally, A M et al. “Phytochemical investigation and antimicrobial activity of Psidium guajava L. leaves.” Pharmacognosy magazine vol. 6,23 (2010): 212-8.
- Thomas, Lintu & Ab, Lasyaja & T, Anitha & M, Suganya & P, Gayathri & S, Chithra. (2017). Biochemical and mineral analysis of the undervalued leaves – Psidium guajava L.. 2. 2455-4227.
- Almohanna, Hind M et al. “The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review.” Dermatology and therapy vol. 9,1 (2019): 51-70.
- Patidar, Dr. (2018). Preparation and evaluation of herbal hair growth promoting shampoo formulation containing Piper betle and Psidium guajava leaves extract. International Journal of Green Pharmacy.
- Guo, Emily L, and Rajani Katta. “Diet and hair loss: effects of nutrient deficiency and supplement use.” Dermatology practical & conceptual vol. 7,1 1-10.
- Naseer, S., Hussain, S., Naeem, N. et al. The phytochemistry and medicinal value of Psidium guajava (guava). Clin Phytosci 4, 32 (2018).
- Daswani, Poonam G et al. “Psidium guajava: A Single Plant for Multiple Health Problems of Rural Indian Population.” Pharmacognosy reviews vol. 11,22 (2017): 167-174.