Styling your hair is not a mammoth task. All you need is a blow dryer for soft, shiny, and bouncy hair. But if not used in the right way, a blow dryer can damage your hair and make it dry. This article is a tutorial on how to blow dry your hair easily at home. We have also included some tips to follow before and after blow drying. Scroll down for more information.
Table Of Contents
How To BlowDry The Hair – Steps To Follow
Pre – BlowDrying Tips
- Brush your hair properly to detangle the knots. Brushing stimulates the scalp and ensures your hair is properly cleaned.
- Wet your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water. Warm water opens the cuticles and enables hair care products to penetrate deeply.
- Apply a deep conditioning hair mask to restore shine, hydrate the hair, and make it manageable.
- Towel dry your hair to absorb excess moisture. Do not rub the hair vigorously as it may cause breakage.
- Apply a serum or a heat protectant spray to prevent damage and dryness while using high heat in the blowdrying process.
The BlowDrying Process
- Separate The Hair Into Sections
Divide clean, towel-dried hair into sections and clip it or tie a mini bun. If you have thick hair, divide each section into a bottom and top layer to manage it easily and prevent tangles. Blow dry one section at a time.
- Set the Dryer Temperature
Set the blow dryer to the lowest temperature initially with the highest speed setting. This will help dry excess water without stripping the natural moisture and oil of the tresses. Choose a blow dryer with at least three heat settings viz. low, medium, and high and three speed settings. Avoid using high heat settings to prevent dryness.
If you want to dry your hair normally, increase the heat setting to medium for faster drying, and high if you are in a hurry. For extra bounce and volume, use the lowest temperature and highest speed setting on your blow dryer.
- Begin The Drying Process– Start With The Lower Sections
Hold the hairdryer with the handle facing downwards and the mouth upwards. Start blowing on each side by targeting the lower sections of the locks.
- Continue From Root To Tip
Brush and detangle the small sections from the crown to tip. Always keep the blow dryer 15 cm away from the scalp and hold the at brush 45° angle. Choose a flat or roller brush, run the blow dryer along the hair’s length with the brush, from root to the tip, for salon-like hair at home.
- Change The Direction (Optional)
When the hair in the lower section feels dry, change the direction of the dryer so that its mouth is downwards. Start blowing from the top and move slowly to the lower sections. Repeat this on both sides until the hair in the top section is completely dry.
- Repeat The Steps
Repeat the above steps by blowing downwards along the sections that are left loose. Change the heat setting to medium and the speed to lowest or medium. Ensure to dry the wet roots properly and do not apply heat on the roots for more than 30 seconds.
It is important to lock the hair shine and moisture for a final finish. Check out the following steps to ensure a long-lasting, voluminous lock.
Post – BlowDrying Hair Care
- Finish With Cold Air
Apply cold air after blow drying to lock in the shine. Run your fingers through the hair to blend the sections properly. If you want to add volume to your bangs, blow dry them, hold for some time, and release.
- Apply A Hair Serum Or Hairspray
Finish the process by applying a hair serum to make your hair shiny. You can also use a hairspray to lock in the hairstyle. This helps boost hair shine and seal the cuticles to retain moisture.
The blowdrying process changes as per your hair type. Read on to know the various processes in the following section.
Steps For Blow Drying Different Types Of Hair
- Blow Dry Straight Hair
- Apply a heat protectant spray to the tresses, and wait for a few minutes until the hair is dry up to 50-80%. If you have thin hair, do not apply the spray to the roots.
- Clip your hair in small sections.
- Hold a round hairbrush vertically, unclip the sections from the bottom, and roll it away from your face. Roll the brush until the end of the hair and repeat the process until your hair is completely dry. Let your locks cool down.
- If you want to add more volume, lift the section at the crown of your head, hold the brush horizontally, and blow dry it from the back.
- Run your finger through the hair to blend the sections.
- Finish by applying a hair serum from top to bottom. Avoid using it on the scalp.
Here’s a short video to take you through the process.
Curly hair tangles easily,and blowdrying it is an extensive process. Here are the steps and a tutorial video to help you blow dry curly hair.
- Blow Dry Curly Hair
- It is important to nourish curly hair as it does not allow the natural oils to travel down the tip.Prep your curly locks with natural and organic hair care products. Apply a leave-in conditioner and wrap your hair with a shower cap for deep penetration.
- Use a diffuser to reduce frizz and provide natural waviness. It also adds volume and body to the curls.You can also use a hair mousse or hair gel to define your curls.
- After washing, towel dry your hair from the roots to absorb excess water without disturbing the waves.
- Apply a hair serum to make the locks soft and shiny. Scrunch the waves with your hands.
- Begin blowdrying with a diffuser– take a few sections of the hair, use the diffuser for 10-15 seconds, and repeat with another section.
- Diffuse the roots to add more volume and scrunch with your hands.
- Once your hair is almost 95% dry, detach the diffuser and use a regular blow dryer at a low speed to dry the roots.
- Finish by applying a hair serum gently without disturbing the wavy structure.
Here’s a video to help you out.
Adding volume to short hair while maintaining its moisture is tricky. Check out the following steps with a tutorial video to nail it.
- Blow Dry Short Hair
- Prep your hair with a shampoo and conditioner.
- Towel dry damp hair gently without rubbing to absorb excess water.
- Apply hair serum to lock in the moisture and restore shine. You can also use a heat protectant spray before the blowdrying process.
- Brush your hair gently with a wide-toothed comb to distribute the hair serum or heat protectant spray throughout the hair.
- Adjust the airflow of the hairdryer and set it to low or medium.
- Begin with a cool drying process– a high flow of air to dry the hair. Keep the blowdryer nozzle 15 cm away from the scalp to prevent hair damage and scalp inflammation.
- To keep your hair straight, pull the hair with a round brush from root to tip while blowdrying.
- Finish by applying a hair serum or natural hairspray.
Watch this video for a clearer understanding of the process.
We often repeat certain mistakes while blowdrying our hair. Here’s what to avoid in your next blow drying session.
Dos And Don’ts While Blow Drying The Hair
|Blowdry when the hair is 65%-70% towel-dried.||Do not blowdry the hair while it is wet.|
|Sectioning the hair removes tangles and dries it thoroughly.||Do not blowdry the hair with tangles and knots.|
|Hold your hairbrush vertically and blow dryer horizontally to give a natural lift to the hair instead of making it flat.||Do not set high temperatures as it strips moisture and makes the hair dehydrated.|
|Choose a well-vented and wide-toothed hairbrush to detangle the hair effortlessly.||Avoid heavy metal brushes as they heat up easily and might burn or over-dry your hair.|
|Begin blowdrying on a low heat setting on the hairline and roots, and increase the temperature gradually when you reach the tips.||Do not focus the blow dryer on one spot for long to prevent frying and damaging your hair.|
Blow drying not only adds volume to your hair but also makes it appear professionally styled. You need to master the proper blow drying techniques to get salon-like hair at home. Follow the steps mentioned above and style your locks as you desire!
- Effective Tips For Healthy Hair
- Hair Care Routine For All Hair Types
- Best Hair Wash Tips
- Ways To Identify And Fix Dry And Damaged Hair
- 10 Best Hair Steamers To Buy
Latest posts by Priyanka S (see all)
- Differences Between Hair Shedding And Hair Loss - January 11, 2021
- How To Do A Reverse Perm At Home – A Step-By-Step Tutorial - November 25, 2020
- Do I Have Thick Or Thin Hair? Ways To Check The Hair Texture And Beauty Hacks - November 23, 2020
- Do Braids Promote Hair Growth? Are They Safe For Scalp Health? - November 20, 2020
- How To Perm Bleached Or Color-Treated Hair At Home - November 20, 2020