Rock salt is another name for the mineral halite which is commonly known as sodium chloride and has a chemical formula NaCl. It is commonly known as table salt or ‘sendha namak’ in India. It is mostly colorless or white though its color may vary from light blue, dark blue, purple to pink, red, orange, yellow or grey depending upon the amount and type of impurities present in it.
It is formed by the evaporation of salty water from large water bodies such as inland marginal seas, enclosed bays and estuaries in semi-arid regions where it is found in enormous deposits. In the Indian subcontinent, it is found in the Himalayan region where it known as the Himalayan crystal salt.
There is a difference between the rock salt and the common salt that we mostly consume. Sendha namak is the purest form of rock salt that is available in India in small quantities. Thus, it is costlier than commercial salt. Unlike commercial salt which is iodized, rock salt is more granular with large chunky crystals, has less salty taste and is not chemically processed. It can be used as a healthy substitute of common salt as it is rich in minerals and does not pose health problems like high blood pressure, puffiness in the body or eyes.
It is used in making ice creams as it lowers the freezing point when packed with ice in the ice cream maker, thus making the ice cream colder. It is mostly used for seasoning and preservation. Apart from consumption, it is stocked in massive bags for the purpose of keeping down ice on the roads in winter.
Rock Salt Benefits
The nutritional value of the rock salt is so high that they have different effects on different parts of the human body. For your convenience we have broken the benefits of rock salt down into the categories of health, skin and hair!
Rock Salt: Health Benefits
As pointed out earlier, rock salt is the purest form of salt which is devoid of environmental pollutants and chemical components. It contains 84 out of the 92 trace elements required by the body including calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium, copper and so on. Thus, it is available in drug stores and pharmacies in the form of powder, pill supplement or even as a liquid extract in health beverages. Some of its health benefits are as follows.
1. It aids in digestion and is prescribed for laxative and digestive disorders. It improves appetite, removes gas and soothes heartburn.
2. It facilitates the cellular absorption of minerals. It plays an important role in replenishing the body’s electrolytes and maintaining the pH balance. By stimulating blood circulation and mineral balance it removes toxic minerals and refined salt deposits.
3. It stabilizes blood pressure by maintaining a balance of high and low blood pressures.
4. It aids in weight loss by equalizing minerals which inhibit cravings and eliminate fat dead cells.
5. Rock salt is used as a home remedy for curing many disorders and ailments such as rheumatic pain and herpes, inflammation and irritation from insect bites.
[ Read: Vitamin B12 Foods ]
6. Consumption of rock salt along with lemon juice can help in eliminating stomach worms and controlling vomiting. It also provides relief against influenza.
7. It is beneficial for people suffering from respiratory problems and sinus. Gargling with rock salt helps relieves throat pain, throat swelling, dry cough and tonsils. Rock salt is dissolved in water to prepare brine which is used in facial steams for patients suffering from asthma, bronchitis or other nose and ear discomforts.
8. Having brine made with rock salt with a glass of spring water can provide relief in case of arthritis, rheumatism, kidney and bladder stones. Poultice made from this brine can be used to treat wounds, acne or pain due to gout or arthritis.
9. Rock salt can be used as a teeth whitener or mouth freshener. Gargling with rock salt provides relief against sore throat.
10. It can be used as a bath or body salt. You can mix a table spoon of rock salt in your bath water to have a relaxing bath. Bathing in rock salt water combats water retention, soothes sore muscles, regulates sleep, detoxifies your body and lowers your blood pressure. It also eases stress and body pains.
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- 15 Easy Stair Exercises For A Toned And Healthy Body - June 25, 2015
- Food Poisoning In Children- Types, Symptoms And Home Remedies - May 30, 2015
- 6 Easy Ab Exercises You Can Do At Your Desk - May 24, 2015
- 10 Amazing Uses of Neem Powder - May 19, 2015