Thick, strong, shiny hair is every woman’s dream. Long, silky hair is an accessory in itself, which women flaunt with pride. But thanks to our lifestyles, the dirt, and the pollution, those gorgeous hair goals seem like a bleak reality. But let the bleakness fade away, because with the use of castor oil, there is still hope.
What Is Castor Oil?
Castor oil is extracted by pressing the seeds of the castor plant, scientifically known as Ricinus Communis. It is a vegetable oil. It is either colorless, or comes in a pale yellow color, and has a distinct flavor and fragrance.
It is used across many industries that, including the manufacturers of lubricants, paints, coatings, dyes, hydraulic, and brake fluids, soaps, inks, nylon, pharmaceuticals, perfumes, polishes, and waxes, and cold and resistant plastics. But castor oil is also a popular ingredient in a woman’s beauty regime.
How Castor Oil Is Effective In Promoting Hair Growth And Preventing Hair Loss
Hair fall and hair thinning are common problems experienced by both men and women. While people believe hair loss is more a man’s problem, you will be surprised to know that women also face hair fall and thinning extensively. Though the cause of hair loss widely differs from person to person, genetic issues, poor diets, prolonged ailments, excessive use of styling products, menopause, hormones, and pregnancy are some common causes of hair loss.
But the good news is, no matter what the cause of hair loss is, it is curable. There are many medications and products available in the market that can curb hair loss and promote hair growth, and one such miraculous ingredient is castor oil. This oil is extremely effective in curing hair loss. Here is all you need to know about castor oil and hair growth.
[ Read: Benefits Of Castor Oil ]
The Castor Oil – Hair Health Connection
About 90 percent of castor oil comprises of Ricinoleic acid (1). Ricinoleic acid, is an Omega-9 fatty acid. These acids are a miracle discovery for hair growth. It penetrates deep into the pores and nourishes both the hair and the follicle (2). It renews and restores the scalp health, in turn inducing faster growth of hair. It also prevents keratin damage caused due to pollution and the harsh rays of the sun. Therefore, it not just promotes new hair growth, but also protects the hair against damage and thinning. This acid also helps restore the right pH level of the scalp. It cures problems like scalp acne and dandruff caused due to the imbalanced pH level of the scalp (3). In short, it directly fights dandruff, and makes the hair stronger, longer, shinier, and thicker.
In addition, owing to its antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, castor oil improves your scalp quality by destroying infection-causing organisms and facilitates hair growth (4).
Therefore, castor oil takes care of the hair and prevents hair loss (5).
When the oil is massaged thoroughly into the scalp, it stimulates the scalp and thus encourages blood circulation under the follicles, making them healthier and more inclined to produce hair.
How To Use Castor Oil For Hair Loss
What You Need
- Half cup of castor oil
- Take some oil on your palm and work it through your hair from the roots to the tips, the same way you apply your regular oil, and massage well. Make sure that you do not use too much oil because its thicker density will make it difficult to wash it out.
- Leave the oil on for a minimum of 15 to 20 minutes. You could also leave the oil in overnight.
- Owing to its dense consistency, it can be quite a task to wash off the castor oil. You will need to shampoo multiple times to get rid of the oil. But this method works for some – condition your hair with a commercial conditioner 30 minutes before you take a shower. The oil should come off easily.
- Once you wash your hair, towel dry it, and avoid using any heated styling tools immediately. You will notice silky, shiny hair almost instantly.
Castor Oil For Hair Growth
Castor oil is an amazing oil to treat hair loss and to increase the growth of hair. But its dense structure and peculiar smell might not appeal to all. So here is another amazing solution, which most women call the magic potion for hair loss.
This potion is a combination of four oils, coconut, sweet almond, sesame, and castor. While you can add or remove oils depending on availability and preference, there is nothing like using all four of these together. Here is a little bit on how these oils help.
1. Coconut Oil
It is recommended you use the freshly pressed extra virgin coconut oil for your hair. This oil is fresh and gives out a subtle fragrance of coconut cream. Coconut oil penetrates right into the shaft, and works as a perfect emollient for both damaged and undamaged hair (6). The Lauric acid that it contains has antimicrobial, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that help to effectively cure and clean an itchy scalp, thereby promoting healthy hair (7).
2. Sweet Almond Oil
Sweet almond oil, is another miracle oil that contains oleic acid that deeply moisturizes and regenerates the hair follicles (8). This oil also contains the anti-inflammatory element phytosterol (9). Almond oil is very similar to sebum; therefore, as it mixes with the natural oils, it works without clogging, allowing the scalp and skin to breathe.
3. Sesame oil
Sesame oil is another effective oil for the hair. It has the perfect combination of oleic acid and linoleic acid. This oil regulates the production of sebum, and therefore, combats excessive oiliness. It contains vitamin E and B, and a whole lot of fatty acids, along with essential minerals like zinc, magnesium, calcium, iron, and copper that work towards bettering hair quality and getting rid of the troubles (10).
How To Make This Magic Potion
What You Need
2 Tablespoons – Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
2 Tablespoons – Sweet Almond Oil
2 Tablespoons – Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoon – Castor Oil
[ Read: Is Castor Oil Helpful To Treat Baldness? ]
- All you need to do is mix these four oils, and massage it well into your hair. You could warm the oil a little for quicker penetration.
- Leave this oil on for a minimum of 60 minutes or keep it on overnight for best results.
- Shampoo your hair to wash it off.
This oil is perfect to induce hair growth. You could make it in large quantities and store it too. But if you are doing so, make sure you add a capsule of vitamin E to increase the shelf life of this oil.
Now that you know how to use castor oil for hair growth, what are you waiting for? Castor oil is a great remedy for hair loss. Regular use of this oil alone, or in combination with other oils, along with some patience will surely give you great results!
- 15 Amazing Benefits and Uses Of Sesame Oil
- Top 10 Best Benefits and Uses Of Cotton Seed Oil
- Top 10 Amazing Benefits and Uses Of Vegetable Oil
- 16 Amazing Benefits and Uses Of Castor Oil For Skin, Hair And Health
- Mustard Oil: History, How to Use & Benefits
Latest posts by Shirin Mehdi (see all)
- What Does Your Nail Shape Say About You - April 22, 2016
- What Does Your Eyeliner Style Say About You - April 14, 2016
- An Account Of My Student Life And My Victory Over Dull, Oily Skin - April 12, 2016
- How To Do The Vajrasana And What Are Its Benefits - April 5, 2016