Your hair is an extension of your personality. But, if the right kind of care is not taken, a lot can go wrong. Busy schedules and increasing stress are taking a toll on your body in different ways, and weak hair could be a resulting outcome.
Strong and healthy hair is something many women envy. Not everyone is blessed with natural hair that is thick and gorgeous. Nevertheless, despite your busy schedule and bad hair health, with dedication and the right kind of care, you too can attain strong hair.
In this article, we’ll tell you how to get strong hair with a list of natural treatments.
But, how do you know if your hair needs special attention? Let us first identify the signs of weak hair.
What Are The Symptoms (Telltale Signs) Of Weak Hair?
1. Experiencing more than usual hair breakage
2. Hair that appears to be dull and lifeless
3. Split ends
5. Rough and frizzy texture
6. Hair that tangles a lot
7. Thinning hair
8. Hair that is limp and cannot hold a style
What Are The Causes Of Weak Hair In Women?
Your genes are the biggest influencing factor when it comes to the texture and strength of your hair. Whether you get thick and coarse hair or fine and silky hair, it depends on the genetic makeup of your hair, which is passed down from your parents. Hair disorders that influence the health of your hair also depend on your genetic predisposition (1).
2. Chemical Processing
Chemical processing, in the form of coloring or changing the structure of your hair, damages your cuticles and makes your hair weak (2, 3). The cuticle is the outer layer of your hair, which acts as a barrier that protects the hair shaft. Once it is damaged, the hair becomes weak and porous. This can also lead to hair loss.
3. Excessive Heat
Subjecting your hair to excessive heat by using hot styling tools regularly damages the cuticles (4). Taking hot showers also has an extremely damaging effect on your hair. This happens because when heat is applied to the hair shafts, the cuticles rise and let in excessive moisture. The risen cuticles reduce the tensile strength of the hair and are unable to protect the shaft from harmful external factors.
4. Lack Of Proteins
Proteins make up most of your hair’s build-up. If the follicles do not get a sufficient supply of proteins, your hair becomes weak, brittle, and prone to damage. Protein deficiency has also been linked to hair loss (5).
5. Hormonal Imbalance
Hormonal imbalances that are caused due to thyroid disorders can often lead to hair loss (6). PCOS and menopause can also be a reason for abnormal hair growth.
6. Food Habits
A balanced diet is essential for healthy hair growth. If your body is deprived of certain vitamins, minerals, and proteins, it can lead to abnormal hair growth (7).
How To Diagnose Weak Hair?
There are a few easy tests that you can conduct on your hair to see whether it is weak.
The first way to see if your hair is weak is by wrapping a bit of your hair around your finger. If there are a lot of lifted ends, it is likely that your hair is damaged and weak.
Another way to see if your hair is weak is by pulling a strand from both sides and see if it breaks easily. If it does, your hair is weak and in need of help.
If you want to know how to make hair stronger, we have put together a list of natural treatments for strong hair.
How To Make Hair Stronger Using Natural Treatments
If you have been wondering about how to get strong hair, and if natural treatments work, we’re here to tell you that they do. Homemade treatments are good for your hair, and unlike commercial products, you also know exactly what you are putting in your hair. There is also the added benefit of steering clear of chemicals.
Following is a list of natural treatments that ensure long hair that is also strong and healthy. Here’s how to grow hair faster with these DIY home remedies.
1. Coconut Oil Massage
Your mom must have repeated the ‘coconut oil is good for hair’ mantra numerous times. Coconut oil is one of nature’s best ingredients for hauntingly lovely tresses. It has penetrative properties, making it better equipped to nourish your hair shaft with its fatty acids (8).
The massage will heal your damaged hair cuticles and make them softer, silkier, and stronger.
What You Need
• 2 tablespoons of warm coconut oil
• Shower cap
1. Dampen your hair a little and massage the warm oil gently onto your scalp. Work your way down your hair to the tips until all of your hair is covered.
2. Cover your hair with a shower cap for 30 minutes and then rinse the oil out with shampoo.
2. Essential Oil Massage
The magical essential oils are medicinal and help strengthen your hair follicles and repair weak strands from within. If you have been looking for how to get thicker hair, try this essential oil mix, which also stimulates hair growth.
What You Need
• 4 teaspoons of grapeseed oil
• 2 drops of thyme essential oil
• 2 drops of cedarwood essential oil
• 1/2 teaspoon of jojoba oil
• 3 drops of lavender essential oil
• 3 drops of rosemary essential oil
1. Mix all the oils and gently massage the mixture onto your scalp. Cover your hair from the roots to the tips in the oil.
2. Cover your head with a warm towel for 10 minutes.
3. Rinse with shampoo.
3. Eggs Or Milk
Eggs and milk are both rich sources of protein. They nourish your hair, giving it substance and increasing its tensile strength.
What You Need
• 2-3 tablespoons of full-fat milk (depending on the length of your hair)
• 1-2 eggs (depending on the length of your hair)
1. Soak your hair in full-fat milk for around two to three hours. Alternatively, take an egg and whip it well. Apply it on your hair and leave it on for about two hours.
2. Rinse your hair thoroughly after the treatment. You do not need to use conditioner.
Try this twice a week for best results.
4. Homemade Hair Tonic
This hair tonic/rinse will give you shining, healthy, and strong hair with regular use. Make this rinse a part of your hair care routine by using it at least once every fortnight.
What You Need
• 2 tablespoons of crushed parsley seeds
• 1/2 cup of chopped rosemary
• 2 cups of water
1. Boil the ingredients in water and let them soak in the boiled water for 20-25 minutes.
2. Let the solution cool and then strain carefully.
3. Pour the liquid on your freshly washed hair and wrap it with a warm towel for at least an hour. Do not rinse your hair after this, let it dry naturally.
5. Onion Juice For Hair
Onion juice is renowned for its ability in dealing with hair loss and encouraging hair regrowth. Here is an easy recipe for an onion juice solution to make your hair stronger and deal with your hair fall woes. You can do this up to twice a week for healthy hair growth.
What You Need
• 1 onion
1. Peel the outer layers of the onion and wash it well.
2. Grate the onion using your grater, or toss it into the blender or juicer. Using your strainer, squeeze the pulp to extract as much juice as possible.
3. Massage the juice into your hair and scalp and let it sit for 30-45 minutes.
4. Rinse the juice off your hair using your shampoo.
[ Read: Onion Juice For Hair Growth ]
Tips On How To Strengthen Weak Hair
1. Avoid Chemical Treatments
As we mentioned earlier, chemicals are damaging to your hair. Over-processing your hair with chemicals is likely to make it damaged and weak.
2. Choose The Right Products
Choose mild products with proteins and other nourishing ingredients. When selecting a shampoo, avoid the ones with sulfate and alcohol.
3. Avoid Daily Shampooing
Shampooing your hair every day will strip away the natural oils from your scalp, making your hair dry and prone to damage. Limit your washes to three times a week to ensure good hair health.
4. Avoid Heat Styling Tooks
The cuticles protect your hair and keep it healthy. Putting your hair through excessive heat can damage the cuticles and ruin the texture of your hair, making it prone to breakage, frizz, and split ends.
5. Increase Intake Of Proteins
Proteins make up the largest part of your hair’s buildup. It is important that you consume protein-rich foods such as fish, soy, and eggs.
6. Consume Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids help in promoting hair growth. Regular consumption of omega-3s will ensure thickening of hair and regrowth. Consume them as a supplement, or eat seafood that is rich in the fatty acids.
7. Take Multivitamin Supplements
When you fail to include certain vitamins in your diet, taking vitamin supplements is a good idea to ensure that your hair stays nourished. However, consult a health care professional before you start using any supplements.
8. Consume Fresh Fruits And Vegetables
Consume fresh fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamins and antioxidants, which help fight free radicals that cause damage to your hair.
9. Drink Plenty Of Water
This is one of the most important things to do if you want strong hair. Keeping your hair hydrated is just as important as keeping it nourished. Drinking plenty of water ensures that your hair and scalp stay moisturized.
10. Follow A Healthy Diet
Maintaining a healthy diet is crucial for strong hair growth. Consume the recommended portions of vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbohydrates, and water.
Now that you know how to make hair stronger and thicker, what are you waiting for? Follow these treatments and tips to make sure that your hair grows out to be strong and healthy. Turn your weak hair into healthy hair with a little extra effort and care. How did you deal with weak hair? Let us know in the comments section below.
- 34 Powerful Home Remedies For Hair Growth That Work Wonders
- 18 Extremely Effective Tips For Healthy Hair
- Best Ayurvedic Hair Oils – Our Top 10
- 6 Amazing Yoga Asanas That Will Help With Faster Hair Growth
Latest posts by Meenal Rajapet (see all)
- Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 50+ Review - April 20, 2017
- Nivea Extra Whitening Body Lotion Review - April 18, 2017
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion Review - April 18, 2017
- Top 10 Hair Salons In Ahmedabad - March 23, 2017
- How To Use Yogurt For Hair Growth - January 24, 2017