It goes without saying that yoga is an amazing form of exercise that tones and strengthens your entire body. Did you also know that it could make your skin radiant? Every single position or technique that yoga involves has multiple benefits which apart from improving your health, also make you stress-free. As you practice yoga, you will notice that you are able to connect with and understand your body at a deeper level, and, in the process, attain gorgeous and beautiful skin.
Yoga For Glowing Skin
Take a look at seven all-round yoga asanas for glowing skin that will improve your complexion drastically.
Usually known as the Lotus pose, this cross-legged posture usually helps to deepen meditation by calming the mind. It is said that if you practice this pose regularly, you are sure to blossom just like the lotus. This is not only an effective pose in yoga for skin glow but also helps reduce muscular tension and also relaxes the mind.
How To Do It
- Sit on a mat, making sure your legs are stretched out and your spine is erect.
- Bend your right leg at the knee. Place your foot on the left thigh, such that the foot is pointing upwards, and the heel is close to your stomach.
- Do the same with your left leg.
- Place your hands in a mudra position over your knees.
- Make sure your spine is erect and your head is straight throughout.
- Hold the pose for about 100 counts while taking deep breaths.
If you have knee problems or any pain in your ankles, it is best to do this asana under supervision.
Marichi literally means a ray of light. This position is also called the sage position, and it increases circulation and massages the internal organs, especially the abdominal organs. This helps in detoxifying your system, thus, enhancing your complexion. It also calms the mind and relieves stress, which, of course, leads to happy skin.
How To Do It
- Sit on a flat surface with your legs stretched out and your spine erect.
- Bend your right knee such that your toes are flat on the ground, close to your pelvis, and your knees are close to your chest. Make sure the toes of your left foot are facing upwards.
- Making sure your spine is erect, stretch your arms on both sides. Inhale deeply, and twist on the left from the waist.
- Wrap your arms around your bent knee and clasp them tightly.
- Breathe normally while ensuring your spine is straight and erect, your head is facing the left, your shoulder blades are drawn towards each other, and your chest is broad.
- Hold the position for about a minute and then repeat on the other side.
Avoid this position if you have suffered a serious back injury, or have any history of headaches and migraine. If you have high or low blood pressure, it is best to abstain. Also, do not practice this position if you are suffering from insomnia.
Named after its close resemblance to a bow, the Dhanurasana is one of the most beneficial yoga exercises for glowing skin. It works the entire body and promotes circulation. It also helps detoxify the body since the pressure is on the abdomen. This asana is a great stress-buster, and you will notice your invigorated complexion almost instantly.
How To Do It
- Lie flat on your stomach with your feet apart and your arms placed beside your body.
- Fold your knees inwards and hold your ankles.
- Inhale, lift your chest from the ground, and pull your legs up by your ankles, such that the weight of your body is on your abdomen.
- Stretch your neck and look straight. Make sure your facial muscles are relaxed. Smiling would help.
- Focus on breathing and stabilize your body.
- Hold the pose for about 20 seconds, and release while you exhale. Relax!
It is best to avoid this position if you suffer from high or low blood pressure. If you have a past record of hernia, neck injuries, or any kind of back or head pain, it is best to abstain. Please do not do this asana if you are pregnant, or have had a recent abdominal surgery.
Hal is a Sanskrit word that means plow. It is said that, as its name suggests, this pose prepares the field (the mind and body) for deep rejuvenation. This pose is known to tone and strengthen the body. It is a great relaxant as well, and calms the entire nervous system. This surely reflects on the face and the skin.
[ Read: Yoga Poses For Beauty ]
How To Do It
- Lie flat on your back with your arms placed beside your body and your palms facing downwards.
- Inhale, and lift your feet off the ground using your abdominal muscles. Your legs should be at a 90-degree angle.
- Use your hands to support your hips and lift them off the floor.
- Bring your legs in a 180-degree angle, such that your toes are placed over your head.
- Make sure your back is perpendicular to the ground.
- Hold the position for a minute while focusing on your breathing. Exhale, and gently bring down your legs. Avoid jerking your legs while releasing the pose.
If you have ever had spinal problems and back pain, consult your physician or yoga instructor before you do this pose. Ladies who are pregnant, or on their period should avoid doing this position.
Latest posts by Shirin Mehdi (see all)
- 9 Timeless Ways To Celebrate Valentines Day On A Budget - February 10, 2016
- A Toast To All Things Girly – In Dialogue With Blogger Lisha Batta - February 5, 2016
- The Theory Of Beauty – A Conversation With Anshita Juneja - February 3, 2016
- 8 Mind-Blowing Celebrity Nail Art Designs That You Will Want NOW! - February 2, 2016