30 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Neem For Skin, Hair And Health
Indian Lilac which is commonly known as neem has been an integral part of Ayurveda for the benefits associated with it. It is an herb that is commonly available, throughout the year and has benefits that only a few natural products can provide! Neem has anti- bacterial; anti- parasitic, anti- fungal, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that not only benefit your health but can help you get rid of common beauty problems that you face in your daily life. So read more about the uses of neem tree to know how you can use this miraculous herb in your daily beauty regime.
A. Benefits Of Neem For Skin:
Neem proves to be a miracle for people with problematic skin. Thanks to its anti- fungal and anti- bacterial properties, Neem is a boon for people with sensitive or oily, acne prone skin.
[ Read: Neem leaves for Skin ]
Neem benefits include Vitamin C, which helps in getting rid of skin problems like blackheads, pigmentation, dullness and ageing thus leaving the skin with a youthful glow.
Here are some ways in which you can use neem to get that glowing skin you have always wanted:
1. Boil a concoction of about 20 neem leaves in half litre of water till the leaves are soft and discoloured, and the water turns green. Strain and store in a bottle. Use this liquid as a skin toner by just dipping a cotton-ball into it and wiping your face with it every night. Regular usage will help in clearing acne, scars, pigmentation and blackheads.
2. In case you have a very sensitive skin and suffering from blackheads, dilute neem oil with water and apply it over the blackheads. Make sure that that you don’t use more than 2-3 drops of neem oil. Applying this regularly will help you in getting rid of blackheads and also prevent them from coming back.
3. To get rid skin infection, prepare the concoction as mentioned above and add about 100 ml of it to your bathing water.
4. To get rid of acne, take about 10 neem leaves, boil them with small segments of orange peel in a little water. When they become a little soft, let them cook a little and then pound them into a pulp. Apply this to your face and let it sit till it starts drying after which you can rinse with cold water. This face pack will help in clearing acne and prevent breakouts. It also helps in getting rid of whiteheads and blackheads.
In case you have very dry skin, you can add a little honey and yogurt to this pack.
5. Another effective remedy for acne and pimples using neem is to make a paste of neem leaves and turmeric and use it twice a week. Regular usage gives you clear and flawless skin. You can also add some grated cucumber to it as well.
6. Just like neem, Tulsi is another herb that is known to have many benefits on the skin. Grind together a few neem leaves with a handful of Tulsi leaves or you can use powder form of both if they are available to you. Mix it with rose water to form a paste and apply it to naturally treat pimples.
7. For oily skin beauties who are looking for some sebum control can make a paste by mixing neem powder with lemon juice and a little bit of yogurt. This will not only prevent help in controlling the excess oil but also prevent acne and infections that are common problems associated with this skin type.
8. For getting a glowin skin with clear complexion, mix neem powder with rose petal powder, yogurt and a little milk to make a smooth paste. Apply it and let it rest for 15 minutes and rinse with water that is mixed with 2-3 tbsp. of rose water.
You can also add fuller’s earth or gram flour to this pack to make it into a scrub.
9. To get rid of pigmentation and blemishes on the skin, mix neem powder, with Tulsi powder, sandalwood powder and rose water to make a fine paste. Apply the paste on your face and let it dry before you wash it off with cold water. Regular usage will help in lightening the blemishes.
10. Not many people know about moisturizing properties of neem but nonetheless, neem helps in getting rid of dryness of skin without making to oily thus giving a very balanced effect. Mix neem powder with some water and few drops of grape seed oil and apply it to your face.
11. Neem contains immune-stimulating compounds and regenerative properties that help the skin to fight pathogens below the skin surface thus keeping the skin remain supple. Applying neem oil on your face or adding neem powder to your face packs helps in soothing the skin and reducing the effects of aging.
12. Neem has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that help in soothing the skin in case you are suffering from some skin allergy or infection. Boil the neem leaves & apply the water on the allergy after refrigerating it so that it cools down.
13. Psoriasis is a skin disease that is not only painful but also leaves your skin looking as its burnt. The most common problem associated with this disease is dryness and scaling. Neem oil helps in getting rid of itchiness and irritation. It also helps in keeping the skin moisturised thus reducing the dryness and scaling. The anti- bacterial properties also prevents development of any further skin infections.
[ Read: Benefits Of Aloe Vera Juice ]
B. Benefits Of Neem For Hair:
Every girl dreams of having long, shinning and healthy hair just like Rapunzel. It doesn’t matter whether you are born with healthy hair or with an unruly mane, it is important to take care of those tresses. Neem is a magical herb that not only helps to treat skin problems but also scalp and hair problems that to effectively and safely. If you are tired of using chemical laden hair products that make big promises but disappoint you when it comes to results then stop looking and just read on to find out about some simple DIY with neem that will prove miraculous for your hair.
14. To reduce hair fall and to get rid of dandruff, boil a handful of neem leaves in 2 cups of water till the leaves changes colour and the water becomes greenish. Use this water as the last rinse after you shampoo your hair. The anti-septic and anti-bacterial properties of neem help in getting rid of dandruff keeping your scalp healthy and help in stimulating hair growth.
15. To tackle the problem of dandruff and itchy scalp you can also apply a paste of neem powder and water and let it sit for an hour followed by your regular shampoo and conditioning
16. As I have already mentioned, neem has regenerative properties which help in reducing hair fall. An oil massage to the scalp using neem oil can increase blood circulation in the scalp and help in enhancing rate of hair growth.
You can mix it with any of your favourite carrier oils (olive, almond, coconut, jojoba etc) as well.
17. Just like neem can be used to moisturize dry skin, it can also be used as a natural conditioner for dry and fizzy hair. Just make a paste of neem leaves boiled in water & honey, & apply it to the hair followed by regular hair wash, and your dry and untamed tresses to be well-conditioned, dandruff free and without frizz.
18. Another hair mask that will help you deep condition your hair can be made by mixing neem powder with amla powder, shikakai powder and reetha powder with water and lemon juice. Apply this to your hair and let it sit for 30 minutes before you wash it off with your regular shampoo. The ingredients of the pack will help in keeping scalp problems at bay while retaining the moisture in the hair and preventing dryness.
19. If you apply Heena on your hair regularly, just add 2 tbsp. of neem powder with Heena powder, 1 tbsp. of yogurt, lemon, black tea and 1 tbsp. of coffee. The Heena will help in moisturising your hair while the neem will keep your scalp healthy.
[ Read: Benefits Of Green Tea ]
C. Health Benefits of Neem:
20. Chicken: pox Serious diseases like chicken pox and small pox have seen treated with neem tree paste. Spread neem leaves around patients and make him sleep over it for its soothing and anti-bacterial properties. It also cures people suffering from herpes and hepatitis B viruses.
21. Contraceptive: They are used for birth control and abortions. In olden days, cotton soaked in neem seed oil was used as a contraceptive.
22. Pesticide/ insecticide: Neem oil is used in the preparation of pesticides and insecticide. In one litre of water, add liquid soap, neem oil and stir the solution. This solution is now ready to get rid of insects. This natural oil doesn’t kill bugs like insecticides, but instead repel them away
23. Asthma: Take a few drops of neem oil – 3 drops to start with, at the centre of the tongue and swallow. Increase the dosage of intake gradually – say 4 drops in the second week. 5 drops in the 3rd week and go upto one tea spoon within six months.
Asthma can be completely cured by this method. This also helps in controlling phlegm, wheezing, cough, and breathing.
24. Ulcers: Neem bark extract has been found to be a curative for peptic ulcer disease. The bark extract when taken twice daily for 10 weeks almost completely heals ulcers.
25. Diabetes: Neem contains chemicals that help reduce blood sugar levels. This herb has shown great evidence in naturally reducing the symptoms of diabetes. Neem acts as an insulin after being digested by the body.
26. Tooth: People in the villages chew neem twigs instead of using toothbrushes. This helps in treating mouth and tooth problems.
D. Misc Benefits Of Neem:
Beauty benefits of neem are not just limited to your skin and hair. Neem helps in solving a lot of other issues that we face as well.
Here are some more ways in which you can use neem:
27. Looking like a panda because of those dark circles around your eyes. Well as neem helps in reducing pigmentation as well as acts as a moisturising agent, it is the perfect solution to this problem. Just make a paste of water and neem powder and apply it around the eyes. Wash it off after 15 minutes. Do this every day to see the difference.
28. We all know that a beautiful smile is a girl’s best accessory. To make that smile even more special, use neem twigs to brush your teeth. This is an age old remedy that will not only leave your teeth shiny and white but will also keep dental problems like cavity, plaque and bad breath at bay.
29. No amount of makeup can give you the natural glow that is a sign of a healthy skin. To get that glow it is important that you are healthy from within. Neem is known since the ancient times for cleansing the blood and the body. Regular consumption of neem leaves helps in enhancing blood circulation as well as preventing hormonal imbalance that are a major reason behind some skin and hair problems.
Consume 2-3 neem leaves mixed with some honey on empty stomach every day and you will see the changes for yourself.
Make sure you don’t try to consume the concoction that you make by boiling neem leaves in water as the leaves tend to leave behind a pungent smell after they are boiled which would make it difficult for you to consume the liquid.
30 . If you are suffering from common nail problems like splintering and peeling of nails than neem oil is the solution for you. Neem oil helps in making your nails strong, thus preventing them from peeling or brittle. These problems might occur due to some nail infection that you suffering from. Neem oil will help you to tackle that as well. The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of neem help you to get rid of infection keeping your nails healthy.
Just massage your nails and cuticles with a few drops of neem oil and that is all that is required to get healthy nails.
One word of caution is that neem oil does not smell pleasant. Also you need to make sure that you wash your hands properly before you eat anything so that you do not consume the neem oil.
Neem is an herb whose every part has benefits whether it’s the fruit, the leaves, the bark or the twigs. It is one of the few natural ingredients that have so many benefits but no side-effects as such. Also, always try and use fresh neem leaves. Just like any other tree, neem leaves start losing their benefits as soon as they are plucked from the tree.
Which of these have you tricks have you tried before? Were they effective? Leave your feedback in the comments below.