When an individual’s height is considered, we all are aware of the fact that it increases up to a particular age and then it comes to a halt. Height increases up to the age of 18 in women and up to the age of 24 in men. Increase in height can be attributed to the production of a hormone, called the Human Growth Hormone, which is secreted by the pituitary gland within the human body.
It is rather difficult to increase height after reaching adulthood as the production of these hormones slowly stops. In most cases, the epiphyses of the long bones are fused as the last bits of cartilaginous tissue in the bones turn into solid hard bones. This prevents any further growth in longer bones. However, if the hormones are released naturally, increase in height can be observed.
How to Increase Height after the Age of 25 Years?
It is really difficult to increase height after the age of 25, primarily due to the fact that the bones stop growing at this age. Surgeries and growth hormones which promise height growth in adults are potentially dangerous and detrimental for the body. However, with a few tricks and tips, it is possible to add a few inches or at least appear taller.
1. Proper Diet and Nutrition:
Proper diet and nutrition play a vital role in improving your height. Your body should be able to absorb vitamins, minerals and nutrients in order to incorporate them into your system for the proper growth and height gain. A balanced diet rich in calcium, phosphorus, iodine and magnesium is extremely important for proper growth. Intake of trans-fats and saturated fats should be restricted as they are difficult to digest and interfere with the absorption of nutrients. In order to get protein, carbohydrates, amino acids and calcium required for healthy growth and development, attention should be paid on consuming the following food items.
- Egg yolk
- Green vegetables
- Nuts such as almonds and peanuts
- Fruits like apples and bananas
- Milk and dairy products
The importance of calcium in the overall development of the human body cannot be ignored. This nutrient is vital for the growth and maintenance of strong bones and cartilages. Thus, it is advisable to have milk and dairy products to fulfill your calcium requirements. Apart from this, you should also drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water daily to detoxify your body.
2. Exposure to Sunlight:
Sunlight is one of the most important sources of vitamin D. Vitamin D contributes to your height in the greatest way because of its effect on bone growth. Exposure to sunlight allows your body to get the required dose of Vitamin D. Sunbathing, especially early in the morning or late afternoon, can be very beneficial because the ultraviolet radiation is at its lowest during this time.
3. Stretching and Exercise:
Exercise is extremely crucial to gain good height as growth is stimulated when the body is being exercised and stretched. Apart from exercise, sports activities like cycling and swimming can also help in increasing height. The exercises given below might be helpful in gaining some height after the age of 25 years.
- Stand erect and keep your back straight and feet touching each other without any gap in between. Now slowly lift your hands up till your shoulders and hold it for a few minutes. Move your arms backwards. Inhale while moving your arms upwards and exhale while moving your arms downwards. This exercise gives an appearance of being tall by making your posture erect.
- While lying down on your back, stretch your left foot towards the right foot and vice versa. Then bring back your feet to their normal position.
- Bar hanging i.e. holding the bar that is 6 to 7 feet above the ground and swinging your body while hanging from the bar can be beneficial. The back should be kept straight while swinging on the bar.
Apart from regular exercising, practicing yoga also helps in maintaining the correct posture and thus contributes not only to height gain, but to the overall development of your body. The different yoga positions make your body supple, besides stimulating the growth hormones.
[ Read: Yoga For Increasing Height ]
- Tadasana: Also known as the mountain pose, this position helps in lengthening your spine. Feeling your feet on the ground, you should stand with your shoulders relaxed without slouching or hunching forward. The leg muscles should be kept strong and the face or jaw should not look tensed.
- Bhujanga: This position is also known as the cobra pose. Start by stretching your face down on the ground. Press your lower body firmly against the floor while spreading your fingers below your shoulders and tucking your elbows to your sides. While keeping your lower body in contact with the floor, you should inhale and raise your upper body by straightening your arms. Make sure that you raise your body only as far as possible and keep your buttocks firm. This will cause the lengthening of your spine. This pose should be maintained for a slow count of 15. After this, lower your upper body while exhaling. Practicing this pose repetitively enables you to maintain a longer spine while standing, sitting and moving, and thus, increase your height.
- Stretching: Stretch yourself on a daily basis after having a bath while your muscles are warm. After walking for 5 minutes, gently shake each arm and each leg to loosen up and release tension. The entire side of your body should be stretched, starting from your fingertips through your shoulder and hip till all the way to your toes. This sequence should be repeated at least 3 to 5 times for best results.
2. Proper Sleep:
Adequate sleep is absolutely essential due to the fact that the growth hormone does its job of thickening and lengthening your bones during deep sleep. Correct sleeping posture is also crucial for proper growth. Deep sleep on a daily basis in conjunction with proper diet and exercise should be achieved and the following tips should be followed to facilitate deep sleep.
- Use a comfortable and firm mattress.
- Always wear clean, soft and comfortable clothes while sleeping.
- Ensure that the room is dark and quiet while you are asleep.
- A warm bath before going to sleep greatly enhances the quality of your sleep.
- Relax and practice deep breathing before going to sleep.
Though it is difficult to increase height after the age of 25, by following the above-mentioned steps and with the correct approach, one can reap beneficial results.
- 10 Simple Things You Can Do To Increase Height After 18 Years
- 9 Simple Tips To Increase Height Naturally
- Top 5 Ayurvedic Products For Increasing Height
- 25 Best Exercises To Increase Height
- Do Homeopathic Medicines Help Increase Height?
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- 34 Wonderful Benefits Of Lime For Your Skin, Hair And Health - August 26, 2014
- 10 Clever Swaps Of Fried Foods To Make You Healthier - August 26, 2014
- Developing Self-Compassion: 5 Tips to Stop Beating Yourself - August 26, 2014
- Top 10 Most Beautiful Miss World Winners - August 20, 2014