Cracked, itchy, and dull-looking dry skin needs additional care and attention. Whether it is winter or summer, dry or humid, merely slathering tubs of moisturizer may not always help retain hydration. Knowing other ways to improve your skin’s moisture-locking ability can help make your skin soft, supple, and glowing. Read on to know the 15 best tips and home remedies that help treat dry skin. Swipe up!
Table Of Contents
15 Best Tips To Take Care Of Dry Skin
1. Use Warm Water
We seldom pay attention to the water temperature while showering or washing our faces. But the water temperature plays a significant role in keeping your skin hydrated. Use lukewarm water to bathe and wash your face. Lukewarm water will keep your skin from drying further.
2. Use A Fragrance-Free Cleanser
Cleansers with fragrances contain harsh chemicals that can irritate your skin. Use a gentle, fragrance-free cleanser for your body and face. Such a product preserves natural skin moisture.
3. Use Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is loaded with fatty acids (1). It helps hydrate the skin and seals moisture into the skin. It softens and smoothens skin too. Apply coconut oil right after taking a shower or before going to bed at night.
4. Use An Oatmeal Moisturizer
If you have dry, itchy, and sensitive skin, switch to an oatmeal moisturizer. Oatmeal moisturizers help soothe and calm irritated and inflamed skin (2). They also help protect the skin from UV rays and reduce redness.
5. Use Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and skin-moisturizing properties. Applying aloe vera gel to your face after toning will help soothe and nourish your skin. Massage the aloe vera gel for 5 minutes in a circular motion. Wait for 10 minutes before applying a moisturizer. Aloe vera-infused gloves and socks also help improve skin integrity and reduce dryness (3), (4), (5).
6. Apply Avocado Mask
Avocados are loaded with vitamin E, a potent antioxidant and skin moisturizer (6), (7). Using an avocado face pack can also boost skin health and reduce dryness. Mash ½ an avocado, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 tablespoon milk. Mix well and apply the mask to your face and neck. Wait for 20 minutes before washing off with lukewarm water. Do this two to three times a week.
7. Apply Hyaluronic Acid Serum
You can also keep your skin hydrated, plump, and luminous by using a hyaluronic acid serum. Dry skin is prone to look aged faster, especially because the sebaceous glands are not producing enough oils to keep your skin wrinkle-free and plump. Hyaluronic acid is known for its water-retaining capacity (8). You can use it (with or without glycerine) during the daytime before applying moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup.
8. Avoid Using Anti-Aging Products
9. Exfoliate Regularly
Dry and peeling skin can feel itchy and further irritating. An easy way to get rid of the flaky skin is to exfoliate it. Use a gentle scrub or chemical peels like mandelic acid to get rid of the top dead and dry skin layers. Here are a few good exfoliators for dry skin you can check.
10. Add Oils To Your Bath
Do you like to dip your tired body in a lukewarm water bath with bath salts? Then consider adding your favorite body oil to your bath the next time. That way, your skin will remain moisturized and hydrated. You also will be able to get rid of the dead skin much easily.
11. Protect Your Skin From The Sun
Exposing dry skin to the sun can aggravate the problem. The sun’s harmful UV rays accelerate skin aging and lead to the premature appearance of wrinkles and fine lines (11). Apply an SPF 50 sunscreen to your exposed skin before you step out. Wear a scarf to protect your face.
12. Apply Lip Balm
Dry skin is not restricted to the cheeks, nose, or forehead alone. Your lips can also become dry and develop cracks. Take care of your lips by applying a moisturizing lip balm or lip oil. You can also apply a mixture of honey and coconut oil as a lip mask every day for treating dry lips.
13. Use Oil-Based Makeup
Water-based makeup is not meant for dry skin. It may contain ingredients like dimethicone that could further dry your skin out. Use makeup from foundations and eyeshadows, and blushes, and lipsticks that are cream-based or oil-based. Dry skin can always do with that extra hydration infused in these makeup products. The right makeup products also prevent any dry patches or skin peeling. Such products leave your skin with a healthy glow and a dewy finish.
14. Stay Hydrated
You must stay hydrated, and more so if you have dry skin. Drink 8 glasses of water per day (or more if you workout or live in hot climate conditions). Consume watermelons, oranges, muskmelons, celeries, cucumbers, and tomatoes to provide your body with the right nutrients and antioxidants that keep your skin protected and nourished.
15. Take Omega-3s And Vitamin E
Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E supplements are loaded with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties (7), (12). These supplements can help reduce inflammation and oxidative stress in the body, thereby reducing skin dryness too (13), (14). Talk to your doctor to determine the dosage and frequency.
These are the 15 tips to take care of your dry skin. While these can help reduce skin dryness, especially in winters, is there anything else you can do? Yes. Keep reading.
How To Add Extra Moisture During Winters
- Avoid products with salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is a common ingredient in face washes. But it has a skin-tightening and -drying effect on dry or combination to dry skin (15). Use a gentle face wash that does not contain salicylic acid.
- Avoid products with retinoids. Sun exposure, aging, and genetics can cause hyperpigmentation and the appearance of dark spots. Products with retinoids help fade away the dark spots. But retinoids could be extremely drying (16). Avoid them if you have dry, sensitive, and/or combination to dry skin.
- Avoid using toners. Most toners tend to absorb oils and may leave your skin drier.
- Use a room humidifier. Winters are cold and dry. A great way to keep your skin from flaking and cracking is to use a room humidifier.
- Apply olive and coconut oils. Apart from using an oatmeal moisturizer, you can also apply olive or coconut oils to your face and body. Allow the oil(s) to soak into your skin and wipe away the excess oil with a damp, soft washcloth.
- Apply a banana mask. Mash ½ a banana and apply it to your face or use a readymade banana mask to add extra hydration to your skin.
- Get some exercise. Sweating helps keep the skin healthy and glowing. Get some exercise outdoors or at the gym.
- Consume seasonal fruits and veggies. Seasonal fruits and vegetables are extremely good for your health, skin, and hair. Stock your kitchen with fresh fruits and veggies and consume them to get your skin glowing naturally.
Dry skin needs extra care to keep it youthful and moisturized. The aforementioned tips work well if you make them a part of your lifestyle. Start following them and see your skin achieving that sought-after lit-from-within glow, be it winter or summer.
- Tips to Look Younger after 25
- Top 10 Sunscreens For Dry Skin
- Dry skin – Causes, Prevention and Treatments
- What Is The Best Diet For People With Dry Skin?
- How To Use Mamaearth Healing Body Lotion?
Latest posts by Charushila B (see all)
- CBD Oil – Why It Works For Acne, How To Use, Benefits, And Risks - March 31, 2021
- Can Smoking Weed Cause Acne Or Treat It? - March 23, 2021
- 10 Best Ayurvedic Remedies To Reduce Acne At Home - March 23, 2021
- Why Vitamin E Capsules Are Good For Your Skin - March 17, 2021
- Listerine Foot Soak – Recipes And Tutorial For Soft Feet - March 15, 2021