Pimples are a constant headache. You cannot tell when you get one if you have oily skin. Using natural ingredients available in your pantry can help manage breakouts. Read this article to know more about pimple treatment for oily skin.
In This Article
Does Oily Skin Cause Acne?
Oily skin can contribute to acne, but it isn’t the sole cause. The skin produces a natural oil called sebum, which clogs skin pores when overproduced. Excess sebum combined with dead skin cells creates an environment conducive to the growth of acne-causing bacteria, Propionibacterium acnes, leading to breakouts.
Further, hormonal fluctuations, genetics, and external factors like cosmetics or certain medications can exacerbate oil production, increasing the risk of acne. However, not everyone with oily skin will develop acne, and those with dry or combination skin types can also experience breakouts.
Proper skin care and using dermatologist-prescribed products can help manage and prevent acne. The following section reveals simple DIY treatments for oily skin that you can try.
Pimple Treatment For Oily Skin
Here are some techniques of pimple treatment for oily skin at home:
1. Lemon Juice and Honey Mix:
Lemon is the best home remedy for oily skin. Lemon Juice contains citric acid which can neutralize and control the oil secretion of oily skin. It has the capacity to reduce pimples effectively. The acid also contains zinc that works well to kill the harmful acne-causing bacteria along with reducing the scars and blemishes. It helps with cleansing clogged pores and removing blackheads. According to a study, lemons also have antibacterial abilities (2). Another acid you can use separately, which also helps with oil skin cleansing, is salicylic acid.
Honey has antibacterial properties and it can restore the balance of moisture in the skin while reducing skin inflammation (3). Honey also contains omega-3 fatty acids which give you a naturally glowing skin as well as aid in pimple reduction and whitehead prevention.
- Squeeze 1 spoonful of fresh Lemon juice and take the same amount of Honey in a clean bowl. Mix them well. You will get a thick liquid paste like pack now.
- Apply it all over the face and neck after cleansing the face properly.
- Use a cotton ball to apply this mixture all over the face.
- Leave the mixture on the face for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, wash it off with cold water.
You can notice immediate pimple reduction and a bright glow on your face. Also this treatment helps to fade away the pimple marks too. This is a very simple and effective pimple treatment for oily skin. By doing this pimple treatment regularly, you can help keep the pimples at bay. After that you can do this weekly twice.
Irene, a blogger, shares how she takes care of her skin with a honey and lemon mask. She wrote, “Thankfully, an easy facial mask, which I have been using for about a year, is as simple as 123, helps keep the skin looking lovely and silky soft (i).” She further adds, “Even better, its affordability and ingredients are probably already somewhere in your kitchen cabinets.”
2. Besan and Curd Face Pack:
Besan is known as Bengal gram or dal flour, and it is available easily in our Indian kitchens. The same holds true for Curd as well. So, we don’t need to rush to a beauty store to get these beauty items. Besan is rich in proteins and vitamins, and curd is rich in vitamin A and C. Curd can keep the skin soft and supple with its moisturizing property (4). At the same time Besan takes out the extra greasiness of the oily skin. Another of the effective choices in the oily skin pimples treatment at home.
- Take 2 teaspoons of Besan and one teaspoon of curd. Mix this mixture with a spoon well in a clean bowl to make a thick paste.
- To this thick paste, add two drops of Lemon and a pinch of Turmeric powder.
- Mix it well to make a mixture and then apply this paste evenly on your cleansed face and neck. This face pack may take some time to dry.
- After 20 minutes to 30 minutes, apply warm water on the dried face pack to make it loose.
- Now rub gently to remove the face pack from the face and neck. By rubbing like this, your skin’s dead cells will be removed. Then splash cold water to remove the rest of the face pack.
Infographic: 2 Easy DIY Pimple Treatments For Oily Skin
Oily skin is prone to acne. If you are tired of pesky pimples, look no further than your kitchen for natural remedies. We have listed two easy DIY remedies in the infographic below. These are gentle yet effective and will help soothe redness and inflammation. Scroll down and check it out for more information.
Managing oily skin with pimples is not an easy task. However, there are a few home remedies to solve this issue. The pimple treatments for oily skin discussed here are simple, and you may find all these ingredients in your kitchen. For example, the lemon juice and honey mask contain antibacterial properties that help kill acne-causing bacteria and provide glowing skin. The besan and curd face pack moisturizes your skin and removes the extra oiliness. You may also use clay masks, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, jojoba oil, and green tea extracts for managing infection-prone oily skin. Further, you can try using skincare products that contain benzoyl peroxide to reduce sebum production and retinoids for improving skin elasticity. However, you must also try a patch test before applying these face packs to the affected area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is aloe vera good for oily skin?
Yes, aloe vera is good for oily skin as it gets absorbed easily.
Is Multani mitti good for oily skin?
Yes, Multani mitti may help remove the excess oil and dirt from the skin. Therefore, it is good for oily skin.
Is coconut oil good for oily skin?
No. Coconut oil is comedogenic and can clog pores. Therefore, it may not suit oily and acne-prone skin.
Is rose water good for oily skin?
Yes. Using rose water may help remove excess oil and balance the pH level of the skin. Therefore, it is good for oily skin.
- Lemon and honey face masks can help reduce pimples and hydrate your skin.
- You can use the lemon and honey mixture twice a week to keep pimples away.
- A besan and curd face pack can help remove the greasiness of oily skin.
- Do a patch test before application to avoid further flare-ups.
Discover a simple remedy for oily skin and acne with a DIY honey and lemon face pack. Click on this video to learn more and say goodbye to pimples and hello to healthy skin.
Personal Experience: Source
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- A global perspective on the epidemiology of acne
- ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF LEMON (CITRUS LEMON L.), MANDARIN (CITRUS RETICULATA L.), GRAPEFRUIT (CITRUS PARADISI L.) AND ORANGE (CITRUS SINENSIS L.) ESSENTIAL OILS
- Honey: its medicinal property and antibacterial activity
- Clinical efficacy of facial masks containing yoghurt and Opuntia humifusa Raf. (F-YOP)