Who doesn’t know about cashew nuts? Caju is what we call them in India. We use them mostly in sweets and children love to eat them as they are. Cashew nuts are full of anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals which are required for the normal functioning of the body. They actually belong to Brazil but Portuguese brought them to India in the 16th century. The kidney shaped or bean shaped nuts have many health benefits, a few of which are presented below:
Health Benefits Of Cashews
Below listed are the benefits of cashews.
1. May Prevent Cancer
Cashews contain anacardic acid and inositol, two important compounds that may help prevent colon cancer. They may also help prevent other forms of cancer, including that of the lungs (1).
2. May Boost Heart Health
Cashews have low fat content when compared to other nuts. Studies show that they can reduce levels of total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad type). This may promote heart health (2).
3. May Lower High Blood Pressure
Cashew nuts lower your blood pressure, as per studies. This may be attributed to the presence of oleic acid and monounsaturated fatty acids in them (3).
4. May Help Strengthen Bones
Like calcium, magnesium is also important for bone health, which is the main content in cashew nuts (4).
5. May Promote Nerve Health
Cashews contain healthy fats that may promote the health of nerves, by enhancing the myelin coats around them (5).
6. May Prevent Gallstones
Daily intake of cashews (and other tree nuts in general) was found to reduce the risk of developing gallstones (6).
7. May Promote Digestive Health
8. May Improve Health Of Gums And Teeth
Research shows that cashews may help fight bacteria that ay lead to tooth decay. Cashews also stimulate saliva production, further helping maintain dental health (9).
9. May Promote Better Sleep
Cashews may promote better sleep, thanks to their magnesium content. The nutrient was found to have a calming effect on the mind and body (10).
10. May Eliminate Free Radicals
Cashews can help our body to utilize iron properly and eliminate free radicals that otherwise may cause health problems (11).
11. May Prevent Macular Degeneration
Cashews contain zeaxanthin, an important antioxdiant that may help prevent macular degeneration (12).
Cashews are excellent storehouses of nutrients. But be aware of how many you consume. Increased intake of cashews (more than 30 grams a day) can spike your calorie intake and also may elevate your risk of allergy and oxalates (excess of which may cause kidney stones). Consuming cashews (and other nuts) in moderation is key.
Let us know how this post has helped you. Do leave a comment in the box below.
- Can nut consumption improve colon cancer survival?, Translational Gastroenterology and Hepatology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Cashew consumption reduces total and LDL cholesterol: a randomized, crossover, controlled-feeding trial, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Cashew Nut Consumption Increases HDL Cholesterol and Reduces Systolic Blood Pressure in Asian Indians with Type 2 Diabetes: A 12-Week Randomized Controlled Trial, The Journal of Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Microelements for bone boost: the last but not the least, Clinical Cases in Mineral and Bone Metabolism, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Food and Drink Educational Review, Whole Health.
- Health Benefits of Nut Consumption, Nutrients, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Nutritional composition of raw fresh cashew (Anacardium occidentale L.) kernels from different origin, Food Science & Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Steps to boost digestive health, HealthySD.
- The Best Foods For A Healthy Smile and Whole Body, University of Illinois, Chicago College of Dentistry.
- Improving and Maintaining Healthy Sleep Habits, University of Wisconsin-Madison, School of Public Health.
- The efficacy of cashew nut (Anacardium occidentale L.) skin extract as a free radical scavenger, Food Chemistry, ScienceDirect.
- Lifelong Learning, Kellogg Community College.
- 13 Best Benefits Of Cashew Nut (Kaju) Oil For Skin, Hair And Health
- Top 10 Health Benefits Of Nuts
- 7 Amazing Health Benefits Of Cashew Butter
- 14 Amazing Health Benefits Of Macadamia Nuts
Latest posts by Ravi Teja Tadimalla (see all)
- Eleuthero: Is This Medicinal Herb Really Safe? - October 9, 2019
- Selenium Deficiency: 6 Serious Ways It Can Affect You - September 9, 2019
- Hypnosis For Weight Loss - August 28, 2019
- 7 Oil Pulling Benefits For Better Health + How To Do It - May 22, 2019
- How To Make Green Tea Shots Quickly With 3 Popular Green Tea Recipes - May 15, 2019