41 Amazing Amla Benefits And Uses
We all must have savoured Amla chutneys, pickles, jams or murabbas during winters. Amla or the Indian gooseberry may not be very appealing in its taste, but this tangy fruit is surely the “wonder fruit”. Amla (Phyllanthus) is also known as amlakka or amlakai in Hindi, which means the “sustainers” or the fruit where the “goddess of prosperity presides”.
In this article I will list the various Amla benefits and you will understand why it is popularly known as the “Wonder Fruit”.
These are the nutritional benefits present in 100 gm of raw Indian Gooseberry
The recommended dosage of amla per day is:
|Infants (age below 1 year):||30 to 35 mg|
|Children (age 1 to 14 years):||40 to 50 mg|
|Adolescent (age 15 to 18 years):||65 to 75 mg|
|Adult Man (age over 18 years):||90 mg|
|Adult Woman (age over 18 years):||75 mg|
Amla can be used or consumed raw, dried as powder or as juice. Amla juice benefits a lot to the body and so does dried amla. Dried amla can be easily prepared at home using the following steps:
1. Chop the raw amla into pieces and sprinkle some common salt over it.
2. Keep it under direct sunlight for 2-3 days until it has lost all the moisture. Dried amla is ready to use.
Amla juice or powder is easily available. Try to use the organic amla juice as it does not contain any preservatives.
Health Benefits Of Amla:
1. Cures Sore Throat & Cold:
Amla helps to cure sore throat and cold. For this, mix 2 teaspoon of amla powder with 2 teaspoons of honey. Have it 3-4 times in a day for effective results.
2. Great Vitamin C Source:
A great source of vitamin C, consume a raw amla daily instead of the vitamin C supplements as it is not easily absorbed in the body.
3. Reduces Constipation:
Daily consumption of raw amla reduces constipation problem, as it rich in fibres and a gentle laxative. But remember to consume raw amla as powder, juice will not help in this case.
4. Heals Mouth Ulcers:
Suffering from mouth ulcers frequently? Then amla juice is the best solution for your problem. Dilute the amla juice in half a cup of water. Gargle with this mixture daily for best results.
5. Heals Arthritis Condition:
Do you know that amla benefits in reducing arthritis pain? It has anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing the swelling and pain of the joints of knees caused due to arthritis. Have raw or amla juice daily in the morning.
6. Cures Sleep Disorders:
Can’t have a peaceful sleep? Then try this “wonder fruit” to relieve stress and therefore cure sleep disorders like the insomnia.
7. Improves Eyesight:
Amla is very useful for improving eyesight. It also reduces reddening, itching and watering of eyes. Mix 2 teaspoons of amla juice in half a cup of water and drink it every morning.
8. Removes Toxins from the Body:
Consumption of alcohol, pain killers, medicines etc regularly increases the build up of large amount of toxins in our body. Amla helps in maintaining the proper functioning of the liver and the bladder, and get rid of these toxins. Have amla juice in an empty stomach every morning.
9. Regulates Acid Levels in the Stomach:
Regular consumption of amla is very good for your stomach, as it balances the acids of stomach and thus improving digestion.
10. Fights Off Free Radicals:
Amla is the powerhouse of anti-oxidants and thus helps in fighting off the free radicals in your body. Daily consumption of raw amla or juice reduces the risk of many serious diseases including cancer.
11. Improves Metabolism:
Are you a fitness enthusiast?? Then make amla your best friend as it helps in increasing your protein metabolism. If you have a high metabolism, then you lose weight faster. Therefore those who want to lose weight, have an amla daily to increase your metabolism.
12. Strengthens Respiratory & Central Nervous System:
Amla strengthens the lungs, the respiratory system and the central nervous system of your body.
13. Boosts Immunity:
Daily consumption of an amla, boosts your immunity due to its high concentration of vitamin C.
Medicinal uses of Amla:
14. Improves Haemoglobin & Purifies Blood:
Amla increases the haemoglobin in blood, the RBC (red blood cells) count and purifies blood.
15. Maintains Cholesterol Levels:
Suffering from high cholesterol and looking for natural alternatives? High cholesterol levels increases the probability of heart attack and stroke. It builds up and deposits on the walls of the arteries, thus clogging them completely. For this, have 500 mg of amla powder daily with a glass of water before going to sleep. It is known to
- Reduce LDL (bad cholesterol), VLDL and triglycerides level by over 40%.
- Increases the level of HDL (good cholesterol) significantly.
16. Reduces the Risk of Gall Bladder Formation:
Amla reduces the risk of gall stone formation in the gall bladder.
- When there is excess cholesterol in the bile, gall stones are formed.
- Amla helps in reducing them as it contains vitamin C, which converts the cholesterol into bile acid in the liver.
- Therefore include amla in your daily diet to cut down the risk of gall bladder stones.
17. Cures Infections & Ulcers:
It helps to cure infections, ulcers and reduces fever due to its anti bacterial, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties.
18. Prevents Scurvy & Jaundice Outbreak:
Drinking amla juice early in the morning with an empty stomach is a natural tonic to prevent scurvy and jaundice.
19. Cures Diabetes:
Diabetes or high blood sugar is most common and prevalent in today’s world.
- You would be surprised to know that India has the most number of type- 2 diabetic patients in the world. Thus they have become hugely dependent on insulin or dialysis.
- But our “wonder fruit” is well known to cure diabetes naturally.
- Amla is rich in chromium which regulates the carbohydrate metabolism and makes the body more responsive to insulin, which reduces the blood glucose levels.
- Mix 2-3 teaspoons of amla powder or juice in a glass of water and consume daily.
20. Reduces ill Effects of Cigarette Smoke:
Studies have shown that intake of amla juice regularly reduces ill effects of the cigarette smoke in the lungs. Due to its high anti-oxidant contents, it fights off free radicals liberated from the smoke.
Gooseberry / Amla Skin Benefits:
21. Delays Pre-Mature Ageing:
Due to the high concentration of anti-oxidants, Amla helps to reduce the effects of pre mature ageing, wrinkles and fine lines.
22. Reduces Facial Lines:
It tightens and tones the skin and thus reduces facial lines.
23. Exfoliates the Skin:
Amla is a natural exfoliater as it helps in removing the dead cells and soothes the skin due to astringent properties.
24. Gives Soft & Supple Skin:
High content of vitamin C boosts the collagen cells production in the skin, giving you soft, supple and youthful skin.
25. Works on All Skin Types:
It can be used on every skin type without any reaction or irritation.
26. Reduces Pigmentation:
Amla is known to reduce pigmentation and with regular use, brightens dull and dry skin.
Following are the few face packs and scrub made using amla
27. Amla scrub
- Take 1 teaspoon of fresh tamarind paste.
- To this, add 1 teaspoon of amla powder and mix well.
- Apply all over the face and scrub gently in circular motion.
- Rinse off after 10 minutes with warm water.
28. Amla and avocado pack
This face pack is suitable for dry to normal skin people. Avocado is well known for its moisturising and hydrating properties.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of amla powder in water to form a smooth paste.
- Add 2 teaspoons of avocado pulp into it and mix well to form a mixture.
- Apply and leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
29. Amla facial
This facial can be done twice a week and it instantly gives you a refreshing feeling. It is suitable for every skin type.
- Take 2 teaspoons of yogurt in a bowl.
- In this, add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of the amla paste and mix well.
- Apply and leave it for 20 minutes to get clean and smooth face.
30. Skin brightening mask
This face pack gives you an instant brightening effect by reducing the pigmentation and dark spots. Papaya is known for its skin brightening properties due to its “papain” enzymes.
- Mash a few pieces of papaya in a bowl.
- In this, add a teaspoon of the amla paste and ½ teaspoon of honey.
- Mix well to get a smooth consistency.
- Apply and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
31. Amla and tea pack
This face pack is helpful for relieving any skin disorder. It also helps to reduce the signs of ageing like wrinkles, fine lines and dark spots due to tea.
- Boil and strain the tea leaves and let it cool down.
- In the amla paste, add 2 teaspoons of the tea water and 1 teaspoon of honey and mix well.
- Keep for several minutes after applying and wash with warm water.
32. Fresh amla pack
- You can boil a few pieces of amla in water and use the water to rinse your face everyday in the morning.
- This water can be stored and used as an astringent.
- You can also apply the boiled amla pieces directly on the skin everyday.
Hair benefits of Amla:
You must have seen and used various amla based hair oils, shampoos and conditioners. And by now you surely must have realised why amla is so popular.
33. Cures Hair Loss:
Amla oil is being used since ancient times for hair growth and as a cure for hair loss.
34. Offers Luster to Dry & Dull Hair:
Amla powder used in hair packs strengthens the hair root and provides the lustre to dry and dull hair.
35. Controls Pre-Mature Hair Greying:
It is been used from centuries to control pre mature greying of the hair.
36. Treats Lice & Dandruff:
Amla oil is also an effective treatment for lice and dandruff.
37. Enhances Natural Hair Colour:
When used with henna powder, it helps in enhancing the natural hair colour. Listed below are a few hair packs using amla:
38. Amla oil massage:
Massage your scalp at least once a week with amla oil, as it helps to increase the blood circulation in the scalp. It reduces dandruff by clearing away flakes from the scalp. It makes hair softer, silkier, smoother and bouncy. Regular hair massage with amla oil prevents pre mature ageing of the hair. You can warm the oil slightly and massage onto the scalp. You can also keep it overnight for hair conditioning.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of amla powder into warm water and form a smooth paste.
- In this, add 2 teaspoons of yogurt and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Mix to get a smooth consistency and apply on the hair strands and roots.
- Rinse with warm water, after 30 minutes.
40. Anti dandruff pack
This hair pack helps to remove dandruff flakes, cure rashes and hair fall problems. It also adds natural colour to the hair.
- Take 2 teaspoons of amla powder and shikakai powder in a bowl.
- Make a paste by adding the required amount of curd.
- Apply this paste over your hair and keep for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with cool water and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
41. Herbal shampoo
This is my favourite home remedy for soft and shiny hair. This herbal shampoo gives an instant lift to your hair and makes it smooth to touch.
- Soak equal quantities of dried amla, shikakai and reetha in water overnight.
- Rub them together to get a soapy solution.
- Use this soapy solution to wash your hair. You can also use your conditioner after this hair wash.
After reading the various benefits of Amla and uses of amla, you will surely agree why Amla is known as the “Wonder fruit”. Include Amla in your daily diet, hair packs or skin packs to make the most of it.Share on Facebook Share on Pinterest