Many of us have savored Amla chutneys, pickles, jams or murabbas during winters. Amla or the Indian Gooseberry may not be very appealing in its taste, but this tangy fruit is surely the “wonder fruit”.
Amla (Phyllanthus) is also known as amlakka or amlakai in Hindi, which means the “sustainers” or the fruit where the “goddess of prosperity presides”.
In this post, we have compiled a list of numerous benefits of Amla. Read on to discover why it is popularly known as the “Wonder Fruit”.
Health Benefits Of Amla:
1. Cures Sore Throat And Cold:
Amla helps to cure sore throat and cold. For this, mix 2 teaspoons of amla powder with 2 teaspoons of honey. Have it 3-4 times in a day for effective results.
2. Rich Source Of Vitamin C:
A great source of vitamin C, consume raw amla daily instead of vitamin C supplements as it is not easily absorbed by the body.
3. Reduces Constipation:
Daily consumption of raw amla reduces constipation problem, as it rich in fibres and acts as a gentle laxative. But remember to consume raw amla as powder as juice will not help in this case.
4. Heals Mouth Ulcers:
Suffering from mouth ulcers frequently? Then amla juice is the best solution for your problem. Dilute the amla juice in half a cup of water. Gargle with this mixture daily for best results.
5. Heals Arthritis Condition:
Do you know that amla benefits in reducing arthritis pain? It has anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing the swelling and joint pain of knees caused due to arthritis. Have raw amla or amla juice daily in the morning.
6. Cures Sleeping Disorder:
Can’t have a peaceful sleep? Then try this “wonder fruit” to relieve stress and therefore cure sleep disorders like insomnia.
7. Improves Eyesight:
Amla is very useful in improving eyesight. It also reduces reddening, itching and watering. Mix 2 teaspoons of amla juice in half a cup of water and drink it every morning.
8. Removes Toxins From The Body:
Consumption of alcohol, pain killers, medicines etc regularly increases the build up of large amount of toxins in our body. Amla helps in maintaining the proper functioning of liver and bladder, and get rid of toxins. Have amla juice on an empty stomach every morning.
9. Regulates Acid Levels In The Stomach:
Regular consumption of amla is very good for your stomach, as it balances the acids levels of stomach and thus improving digestion.
10. Fights Off Free Radicals:
Amla is the powerhouse of anti-oxidants and thus helps in fighting off free radicals in your body. Daily consumption of raw amla or juice reduces the risk of many serious diseases including cancer.
11. Improves Metabolism:
Are you a fitness enthusiast?? Then make amla your best friend as it helps in increasing your protein metabolism. If you have a high metabolism, then you lose weight faster. Therefore those who want to lose weight, have an amla daily to increase your metabolism.
12. Strengthens Respiratory And Central Nervous System:
Amla strengthens the lungs, the respiratory system and the central nervous system of your body.
13. Boosts Immunity:
Daily consumption of an amla boosts your immunity due to its high concentration of vitamin C.
Medicinal Uses Of Amla:
14. Improves Haemoglobin And Purifies Blood:
Amla increases the haemoglobin level in blood, the RBC (red blood cells) count and purifies blood.
15. Maintains Cholesterol Levels:
Suffering from high cholesterol and looking for natural alternatives? High cholesterol levels increases the probability of heart attack and stroke. It builds up and deposits on the walls of the arteries, thus clogging them completely. For this, have 500 mg of amla powder daily with a glass of water before going to sleep. It is known to
- Reduce LDL (bad cholesterol), VLDL and triglycerides level by over 40%.
- Increase the level of HDL (good cholesterol) significantly.
16. Reduces The Risk Of Gall Bladder Formation:
Amla reduces the risk of gall stone formation in the gall bladder.
- When there is excess cholesterol in the bile, gall stones are formed.
- Amla helps in reducing them as it contains vitamin C, which converts the cholesterol into bile acid in the liver.
- Therefore include amla in your daily diet to cut down the risk of gall bladder stones.
17. Cures Infections And Ulcers:
It helps cure infections, ulcers and reduces fever due to its anti bacterial, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties.
18. Prevents Scurvy And Jaundice Outbreak:
Drinking amla juice early in the morning on an empty stomach is a natural tonic to prevent scurvy and jaundice.
19. Cures Diabetes:
Diabetes or high blood sugar is the most common and prevalent disease in the world today.
- You would be surprised to know that India has the most number of type 2 diabetic patients in the world. Thus they have become hugely dependent on insulin or dialysis.
- The “wonder fruit” is well known to cure diabetes naturally.
- Amla is rich in chromium which regulates the carbohydrate metabolism and makes the body more responsive to insulin, which reduces the blood glucose levels.
- Mix 2-3 teaspoons of amla powder or juice in a glass of water and consume daily.
20. Reduces ill Effects Of Cigarette Smoke:
Studies have shown that intake of amla juice regularly reduces ill effects of the cigarette smoke in the lungs. Due to its high anti-oxidant contents, it fights off free radicals liberated from the smoke.
Skin Benefits Of Amla:
21. Delays Pre-Mature Ageing:
Due to the high concentration of anti-oxidants, Amla helps to reduce the effects of pre mature ageing, wrinkles and fine lines.
22. Reduces Facial Lines:
It tightens and tones the skin and thus reduces facial lines.
23. Exfoliates Skin:
Amla is a natural exfoliater as it helps in removing the dead cells and soothes the skin due to astringent properties.
24. Gives Soft And Supple Skin:
High content of vitamin C boosts the collagen cell production, giving you soft, supple and youthful skin.
25. Works On All Skin Types:
It can be used on every skin type without any reaction or irritation.
26. Reduces Pigmentation:
Amla is known to reduce pigmentation. With regular use, it brightens dull and dry skin.
Following are the few face packs and scrubs made using amla:
27. Amla Scrub:
- Take 1 teaspoon of fresh tamarind paste.
- To this, add 1 teaspoon of amla powder and mix well.
- Apply all over the face and scrub gently in circular motion.
- Rinse off after 10 minutes with warm water.
28. Amla And Avocado Pack:
This face pack is suitable for dry to normal skin people. Avocado is well known for its moisturizing and hydrating properties.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of amla powder in water to form a smooth paste.
- Add 2 teaspoons of avocado pulp into it and mix well to form a paste.
- Apply and leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
29. Amla Facial:
This facial can be done twice a week and it instantly gives you a refreshing feeling. It is suitable for every skin type.
- Take 2 teaspoons of yogurt in a bowl.
- In this, add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of the amla paste and mix well.
- Apply and leave it for 20 minutes to get clean and smooth face.
30. Skin Brightening Mask:
This face pack gives you an instant brightening effect by reducing the pigmentation and dark spots. Papaya is known for its skin brightening properties due to its “papain” enzymes.
- Mash a few pieces of papaya in a bowl.
- In this, add a teaspoon of the amla paste and ½ teaspoon of honey.
- Mix well to get a smooth consistency.
- Apply and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
31. Amla And Tea Pack:
This face pack is helpful for relieving any skin disorder. It also helps to reduce the signs of ageing like wrinkles, fine lines and dark spots.
- Boil and strain the tea leaves and let it cool down.
- In the amla paste, add 2 teaspoons of the tea water and 1 teaspoon of honey and mix well.
- Keep for several minutes after applying and wash with warm water.
32. Fresh Amla Pack:
- You can boil a few pieces of amla in water and use the water to rinse your face everyday in the morning.
- This water can be stored and used as an astringent.
- You can also apply the boiled amla pieces directly on the skin every day.
Hair Benefits Of Amla:
You must have seen and used various amla based hair oils, shampoos and conditioners. By now you surely must have realised why amla is so popular.
33. Cures Hair Loss:
Amla oil is being used since ancient times for hair growth and as a cure for hair loss.
34. Offers Luster To Dry & Dull Hair:
Amla powder used in hair packs strengthens the hair root and provides the lustre to dry and dull hair.
35. Controls Pre-Mature Hair Greying:
It is been used from centuries to control pre mature greying of the hair.
36. Treats Lice And Dandruff:
Amla oil is also an effective treatment for lice and dandruff.
37. Enhances Natural Hair Colour:
When used with henna powder, it helps in enhancing the natural hair colour.
Listed below are a few hair packs using amla:
38. Amla Oil Massage:
Massage your scalp at least once a week with amla oil, as it helps to increase the blood circulation in the scalp. It reduces dandruff by clearing away flakes from the scalp. It makes hair softer, silkier, smoother and bouncy. Regular hair massage with amla oil prevents pre mature ageing of the hair. You can warm the oil slightly and massage onto the scalp. You can also keep it overnight for hair conditioning.
39. Strengthening Pack:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of amla powder into warm water and form a smooth paste.
- In this, add 2 teaspoons of yogurt and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Mix to get a smooth consistency and apply on the hair strands and roots.
- Rinse with warm water, after 30 minutes.
40. Anti Dandruff Pack:
This hair pack helps to remove dandruff flakes, cure rashes and hair fall problems. It also adds natural colour to the hair.
- Take 2 teaspoons of amla powder and shikakai powder in a bowl.
- Make a paste by adding the required amount of curd.
- Apply this paste over your hair and keep for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with cool water and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
41. Herbal Shampoo:
This is a popular home remedy for soft and shiny hair. This herbal shampoo gives an instant lift to your hair and makes it smooth to touch.
- Soak equal quantities of dried amla, shikakai and reetha in water overnight.
- Rub them together to get a soapy solution.
- Use this soapy solution to wash your hair. You can also use your conditioner after this hair wash.
Nutritional Information Of Amla:
Here are the nutritional benefits present in 100 gm of raw Indian Gooseberry:
How To Consume Amla
Amla can be used or consumed raw, dried as powder or as juice. Amla juice as well as the dried form offers a host of benefits. Dried amla can be easily prepared at home using the following steps:
- Chop the raw amla into pieces and sprinkle some common salt over it.
- Keep it under direct sunlight for 2-3 days until it loses all the moisture. Dried amla is ready to use.
Amla juice or powder is easily available. Try to use the organic amla juice as it does not contain any preservatives.
The recommended dosage of amla per day is:
|Infants (age below 1 year):||30 to 35 mg|
|Children (age 1 to 14 years):||40 to 50 mg|
|Adolescent (age 15 to 18 years):||65 to 75 mg|
|Adult Man (age over 18 years):||90 mg|
|Adult Woman (age over 18 years):||75 mg|
After reading the various benefits and uses of Amla, you will surely agree why Amla is known as the “Wonder fruit”. Include Amla in your daily diet, hair packs or skin packs to make the most of it. Do share your experience with us in the comments section below.
- 29 Amazing Benefits Of Amla Juice For Skin, Hair And Health
- 5 Effective Benefits Of Amla Juice For Weight Loss
- Amla For Hair Growth – Is It True?
- Amla Oil: A Simple Way For A Healthy Mane
- Best Amla Shampoos Available In India – Our Top 10
Latest posts by Ankita Biswas (see all)
- 6 Turmeric Face Packs For Different Skin Types - January 21, 2014
- Best Leave-in Conditioners – Our Top 10 Picks - December 3, 2013
- 6 Types Of Meditation Techniques And Their Benefits - November 26, 2013
- Top 10 Meditation Videos For Reference - November 13, 2013