What’s better than a face mask? A clay face mask! But not all clay masks are created equal. While some formulations provide a burst of hydration, others have pore-cleansing properties. The type of clay mask you choose primarily depends on your skin type. Talking about skin types, some of us have a mix of dry and oily skin on different areas of our face — dry cheeks and jawline and oily T-zone (aka combination skin). People with combination skin need a product that is effective in treating both issues. So, if you’re on the lookout for the best clay mask for combination skin, you have come to the right place!
A good clay face mask for combination skin should mop up excess sebum, mattify the skin, decongest pores, boost hydration, and offer gentle exfoliation without being overly greasy or drying. To help you pick the right one, we have compiled a list of the 10 best clay masks for combination skin that you need to try right away. These products are fast-working and will leave your skin clearer, smoother, and plumper.
10 Best Clay Masks For Combination Skin – Reviews And Buying Guide
In search of a good face mask for combination skin that cleanses your face without leaving it dry and uncomfortably tight? This Plantifique Superfood Marine Clay Mask could be the answer. Featuring mineral-rich kaolin, this mask purifies your skin by getting rid of all the impurities clogging your pores. It also relies on a uniquely formulated combination of superfoods and natural herbs such as aloe vera, spinach, and avocado that nourish and intensely moisturize your skin while also combating redness, acne, and breakouts. Rich in antioxidants, essential amino acids, vitamins, phytonutrients, and minerals, it lends you a glowing and youthful-looking complexion. For best results, use this green clay mask 2 to 4 times per week on your combination skin.
- Age-defying properties
- Deeply penetrating feature
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Paraben and sulfate-free
- Comes with a brush
- May stain clothing
- Might be slightly difficult to wash off
If you want your at-home facial session to feel more like a spa treatment, give this face mask a try. As the name suggests, this beauty item will hydrate your dehydrated skin, leaving it moisturized and supple. All while the bentonite and kaolin clay blend will sink into your pores to eliminate pore-clogging grime and dirt while also absorbing excess oil and healing your skin. The result is an incredibly smooth and squeaky clean face. Besides how it makes your skin look, you may also love the enchanting fragrance it releases, thanks to the infusion of essential oils such as peppermint, patchouli, and lavender. This rich, creamy formula is made from natural ingredients and contains zero toxins, making it safe to use on all skin types, including combination, oily, and acne-prone skin.
- Lightweight texture
- Prevents acne
- Reverses signs of aging
- Cruelty-free and reef-safe
- Free of synthetic dyes and fragrances
- No parabens, phthalates, and sulfates
- It contains botanical extracts that nourish the skin.
- The scent might be too strong for some.
If you are a man looking to rid your skin of impurities and prevent premature aging, this Brickell Men’s Products Purifying Charcoal Face Mask might be the one for you. This skin-purifying and renewing treatment features kaolin clay, activated charcoal, and MSM as the primary ingredients. This trio eliminates bacteria, excess oil, and impurities stuck in your pores, along with smoothing out uneven skin tone, while the other ingredients slow down the process of aging. It has vitamin E to protect your skin against damaging free radicals and DMAE to improve skin elasticity. Plus, this formula is packed with aloe vera and hyaluronic acid that help hydrate your skin. Not only will your skin become clear and pores less noticeable, but your complexion will also improve.
- Firms skin
- Ideal for all skin types
- Made from natural ingredients
- Slightly expensive
As one of the best facial clay masks for combination skin and other skin types that will soothe irritation and extract impurities from the pores, this Australian Pink Clay Mask is a great way to say bye-bye to your dull skin and breakouts. The versatile pink clay guarantees deep cleansing by drawing out dirt and grime and shrinking pores while also providing nourishment. It is also formulated to boost collagen production, leaving you with smoother, brighter, and younger-looking skin. Vegan and gluten-free, this formula also contains various other ingredients like witch hazel, aloe vera, and rosemary leaf oil, which are great for the skin.
- Exfoliates skin
- Enriched with natural minerals
- Has replenishing benefits
- Creamy texture ensures smooth application
- May be difficult to remove
Enlarged pores, skin dullness, and wrinkles are problems that most women have been struggling to eliminate, and with this clay mask, one can totally get rid of these skin concerns. Suitable for combination skin prone to blemishes, this formula features a blend of Australian kaolin clay and charcoal to exfoliate and purify the skin. Along with sloughing off dead skin cells, it absorbs excess sebum and diminishes pores. But that’s not all! This skincare product is infused with many naturally derived ingredients such as antioxidant-rich manuka honey that safeguards cells from free radical damage, mineral-rich red algae that provides a boost of hydration, and aloe vera that calms and heals skin.
- Promotes cell regeneration
- Leaves your skin smooth and supple
- Not tested on animals
- Paraben, sulfate, and petrolatum-free
- Does not contain preservatives and harsh chemicals
- Some people may not like the strong honey smell.
Combining kaolin clay with heartleaf extract (majorly found in Korean skincare products), this formula is great for skin that needs some TLC in banishing blemishes, soothing irritated complexion, and soaking up excess oil. This oil-controlling clay mask travels deep into your pores to work its magic. A perfect clay mask for sensitive, combination skin, it does not have any damaging effect since it is formulated without phthalates, sulfates, parabens, and silicones. This formula is well-known for its detoxifying and purifying properties and should be part of your skincare regime.
- Clarifies skin
- Vegan and gluten-free
- Sustainable packaging
- Suitable for oily and dry skin too
- Slightly expensive
A wash-off clay mask that can be used daily and does wonders for your skin? Yes, please! This uber-creamy mask by Blossom Hill Beauty is made from organic and non-toxic ingredients, making it safe to use every day. Featuring a powerhouse combination of purifying kaolin clay, organic coconut oil, organic aloe, botanical hyaluronic acid, green tea, and vitamin E, it delivers an effective nourishing skincare treatment. This formula works excellently well for combination skin, because not only does it cleanse away impurities and dead skin cells, but it also hydrates and replenishes your skin. Your lifeless and dull skin will become smooth and luminous over time. Aside from being vegan-friendly and cruelty-free, this mask is free from parabens and sulfates.
- Gluten-free ingredients
- Has anti-aging properties
- Prevents acne
- Minimizes blemishes and redness
- Eliminates environmental toxins
- Works well for normal, dry, and oily skin types too
- May cause a slight tingling sensation when applied
- The smell might be too potent for some.
A thin layer of this retexturizing mask and 10 minutes is all you need to give your skin a glowing radiance it truly needs. It is infused with Canadian willowherb, which is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. This pretty pink flower prevents dullness and restores your skin’s lost youthful luster. What’s more? In addition to Mediterranean rose clay that deeply cleanses to pull out debris and dirt, this mask uses jojoba seeds that exfoliate and polish your skin to shrink pores and lend your skin a refined texture. You can now eliminate all your blackheads and acne scars with this drugstore clay mask for combination skin.
- Gentle formulation
- Vegan and 100% vegetarian
- Clarifies and smoothens skin
- Also fit for normal and oily skin
- Free from parabens, sulfates, parabens, and other harsh chemicals
- May be a bit drying
Pink clay, which is a blend of white kaolin clay and red kaolin clay, is well-known for its cleansing, soothing, and anti-aging properties. And this mask that’s infused with this wonder ingredient is all that and more. This formula is a magnet for toxins, absorbing debris, excess oil, and impurities while also minimizing the look of pores. This invigorating gel formula is also packed with an assortment of nutrient-rich ingredients such as rosehip oil, rosemary, and aloe vera, which work together to nourish, hydrate, and soothe skin. That aside, it prevents free radicals from damaging your skin, which is the key to banishing fine lines and wrinkles and combating other early signs of aging. The result is a smooth-looking blackhead and blemish-free skin.
- Non-irritating ingredients
- Easy and smooth application
- Brightens complexion
- Keeps skin lubricated
- Enhances blood flow and skin elasticity
- It has a natural rose scent that might be too overpowering for some.
From the multiple award-winning brand and makers of some of the best beauty and skincare products comes this oil-absorbing clay mask that’s particularly suited for combination, oily skin. It features all those elements that can give your skin a clearer and brighter complexion without intensifying acne or irritation. Formulated with a unique blend of natural mineral clays, this formula gently draws out oils and debris lodged in your pores; it cleans without over-drying your skin. It also relies on sea whip, oatmeal, and aloe vera to calm and revitalize your skin. With this face mask, you won’t have to worry about skin irritation or itching as it’s free of fragrance, paraben, alcohol, peppermint, and menthol.
- Shrinks pores
- Easy to rinse off
- Softens and refreshes skin
- Lends a shine-free complexion
- Gentle and non-irritating
- Recyclable packaging
- Leaping Bunny Certified Cruelty-free
- Might sting the skin initially
There it is, our most favorite clay masks for combination skin! If you’re still unsure about picking the right one, look at the points given below.
How To Choose Clay Mask For Combination Skin?
- Combination skin-friendly ingredients: As mentioned earlier, combination skin means you have both oily and dry skin. Hence, you should pick products that are formulated to work on this skin type. Besides clay, look for oil-absorbing or pore-cleansing ingredients like activated charcoal or vitamins C and E, which can unclog and diminish pores. Plus, to keep your dry areas hydrated and restore lost moisture, the clay mask should have elements like hyaluronic acid and aloe vera.
- Types of clay: There are mainly 2 types of clay that work well for combination skin — kaolin and bentonite clay masks. If you have congested pores and suffer from acne-prone skin, bentonite clay is the best option for you as it is super absorbent and efficient in cleaning out pores. However, it can irritate sensitive skin. Whereas, kaolin clay is gentle yet effective and absorbs excess oil.
- Non-irritating: Once you have decided what ingredients work for you, the next step is to check whether the clay mask is formulated without stress-causing ingredients and harsh chemicals. This will ensure better results as it won’t trouble your skin or aggravate your skin condition.
- Usage and application: The usage varies from brand to brand. While some clay masks are recommended to be used once or twice a week, others are safe to use every other day. As for the application, always follow what the product suggests. Because leaving the mask for a short time won’t soak up grease or dirt, and leaving it for longer than recommended can dry up your face.
Nothing defines ‘pamper yourself’ quite like a clay mask. It’s a perfect skincare item that will leave you looking and feeling good. This centuries-old practice of mud-masking is getting only more and more popular by the day with a plethora of options available in the market. Clay face masks can do it all — from helping you achieve a dewy glow to declogging and minimizing pores. So if you want to achieve clean, smooth, and glowing skin, check out these 10 best clay masks for combination skin. Pick the mask that best suits you, sit back, and relax with some good book, music, or a Netflix show while the mask does its work.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should you use face masks for combination skin?
This generally depends on each brand, the kind of face mask you use, and your skin concern. While some face masks are best used once a week, others can be used every day or alternate days.
Is a mud mask good for combination skin?
Yes, a mud mask works extremely well on combination skin as it not only draws out excess oils and tightens pores but also restores moisture in your skin.
Is it good to use a facial mask every day?
Only some facial masks are ideal for everyday use. For instance, sheet masks are excellent for daily usage if you want to boost the hydration levels in your dehydrated skin. A clay mask such as Blossom Hill Beauty Radiance Soothing Face Mask can also be used daily since it is toxin-free.