Curls are no doubt beautiful, but it can be quite difficult to tame them, especially on a bad hair day. Sometimes, even the strongest gels don’t work on your curls, leaving them unmanageable. If you are willing to try and change your look, a good option could be to straighten your curly hair. Straight hair is the ‘in’ look these days, and if you follow current trends, you know you should definitely give the curly hair to straight hair look a try.
Most women think twice before straightening curly hair as they are worried about the damage. But with the right technique, equipment and method, you can surely achieve the straight look without much damage. Here are a few methods which are safe to straighten your curly hair.
How To Straighten Curly Hair
Method 1: Use a Straightening Iron
If you use a good quality straightening iron and take proper care, you will be able to straighten hair without much damage. The most important point to remember while using a straightening iron is the temperature. If you have a good quality hair straightener, you will have an option to adjust the temperature.
Adjust the temperature according to your hair type. For fine or slightly damaged hair, use 250 to 300 degree F temperature. For hair of average thickness use 300 to 350 degree F and for hair which is thick, coarse or frizzy use 350 to 400 degree F. Follow these simple steps to straighten your hair using a straightening iron.
- Wash your hair thoroughly and blow-dry
- Apply a heat protection spray
- Properly divide your hair into small sections and layers.
- Set your straightening iron to the correct and apt temperature
- Start straightening your hair with the lowest layer (just above your neck).
- Immediately stop if you see your hair starts to sizzle.
- Examine in a mirror to make sure you haven’t missed out any layer or section.
- If you are done with straightening, apply any good quality finishing product such as hairspray or fixer.
Method 2: Hair Straightening Using Milk
- Milk works like a miracle for curly hair.
- Take an old spray bottle and pour milk into it.
- Spray it onto your dry hair.
- Let it work for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Now wash it off.
Method 3: Use Milk & Honey
- Take 1 cup milk and add honey to it.
- Mix it well to create a good paste.
- Add banana to make it more thick and effective.
- Bananas are good moisturizers for hair.
- Apply this paste on your hair and let it work for 1 hour or more.
- Wait till it completely dries out.
- Now wash it off with shampoo.
Method 4: Olive Oil to Straighten Curly Hair
This is yet another effective and natural method for hair straightening. Olive oil helps a lot in the process of straightening your hair naturally.
- Take two eggs.
- Beat them.
- Add suitable amount of olive oil.
- Mix it well.
- Apply it covering your hair properly.
- Let it work for 45 minutes.
- Now wash it off with shampoo.
This may not give you instant results. But if you do this at least 2 – 3 times a week, you will see great results after a month.
[ Read:Natural Tips For Silky Hair ]
Method 5: Coconut Milk for Hair Straightening
The best thing to straighten your hair naturally is coconut milk.
- Pour 1 cup of coconut milk in a bowl.
- Squeeze half a lemon into it.
- Mix well.
- Put this mixture in the fridge for an hour.
- Now apply it, covering your hair.
- Take a towel and heat it up using a dryer for a few minutes.
- Wrap this warm towel around your head. This will help to soak in the nutrients.
Now simply wash your hair after 35-50 minutes.
The above-mentioned mixes are a few effective ways to straighten curly hair. Using a straightening iron is the most common method, while the other four are more home-made hair straightening methods. But these natural ways of hair straightening are very effective. They do not have any side effects on your hair.
Let us know which ones you tried and if they helped you.
Latest posts by Anamika M (see all)
- 6 Amazing Benefits Of Feverfew For Skin, Hair And Health - April 4, 2014
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Rooibos For Skin, Hair And Health - April 2, 2014
- Best Tinted Lip Balms Available In India – Our Top 10 Picks - March 22, 2014
- Best Weight Loss Centers/Clinics In Bangalore – Our Top 9 Picks - March 22, 2014
- Christian Bale Weight Loss Routine Revealed - March 7, 2014