Saffron is obtained from the exotic flower ‘saffron crocus’ which is localized to Asia and Europe and is extensively found in India. Saffron is one of the most expensive spices in the world simply because of the quantity of flowers required to obtain a single gram of it. It is very much used in Indian and Oriental cooking to add a typical flavour and aroma to the dish which makes it exotic. It also has uses as an easily available health remedy and beauty benefit.
The stamen of the saffron flower is but a little thing which holds the key to so many beauty issues and desires. Saffron is extracted by removing the thin long threads from the stamen of the flower and drying them out completely for days at a time to obtain this precious spice.
Saffron has many healing applications in many old-fashioned medicines in the form of an antiseptic, an antidepressant oxide content, etc. This age old spice is a fabulous source of rich minerals like copper, potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, selenium, zinc and magnesium which are very beneficial in promoting good health. It is also rich in many vital vitamins including vitamin A, folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin-C etc.,that are essential for optimum health and these also helps in maintaining the youthful skin.
These inconsequential little dried stalks cost the heaven and earth and provide a solution for many many little problems in so many homemade beauty tips too. Saffron has so many uses that it will take us going a mile a minute to actually implement all its uses. This article has tried to cover as many tips as possible. Saffron is extremely useful for dry skin because of its hydrating properties which makes it impeccable for use in hydrating creams and heavy moisturizers, scrubs and facial masks.
How to Choose Saffron?
Saffron is very expensive. There are also many contaminated and counterfeit products being dyed to replicate saffron. It is very dangerous to use adulterated saffron on the skin as it may trigger allergic reactions or cause undesired changes to your skin which may not always be curable. Also, since we also ingest saffron for some particularly effective health benefits, it is very essential to make sure that we have pure saffron in order to avoid food poisoning or other adverse health effects.
To determine whether you have unadulterated saffron or not, immerse a bit of the produce in warm water or milk. If the liquid turns yellow immediately, then the saffron is fake. Pure saffron must steep in either warm water or milk for at least 10 to 15 minutes before its deep reddish-gold colour or a dark yellowish colour permeates in the water or milk and the saffron aroma begins to develop. You can try any of the above methods at night before bed, but just soak the saffron for at least around eight to ten hours before it can be used ( most of the benefits of saffron are achieved through saffron infused in milk of water ).
[ Read: Saffron Benefits ]
1. Homemade Face Pack with Saffron and Sandal:
- 1 tsp of sandalwood powder
- 2 or 3 strands of saffron
- 2 tsps of milk (raw milk prefered)
1. Take the above mentioned ingredients together in a bowl that is small in size and mix them all together.
2. Place the bowl aside and wash your face and then pat dry it with a soft cloth or towel.
3. Spread the pack evenly all over your face.
4. Massage while still damp in a circular motion.
5. Leave it on for 20 minutes.
6. You can rinse it off by splashing water over your face.
You can use this pack 3 to 4 times a week too!
Apply this homemade saffron facial mask at least once a week for a radiant and smooth skin. Saffron helps in retaining the moisture of the skin thus giving an ethereal glow.
[ Read: Face beauty Tips ]
2. Saffron Face Mask for Acne:
Saffron is rich in anti-bacterial qualities and also exfoliating properties. This makes it very useful in clearing acne and also improving complexion.
- 3 to 4 strands of saffron
- 1/2 cup milk
- Allow the strands if saffron to be infused with milk for about 2 hours.
- Then apply this milk on your face and neck.
- Wash off after about ten to fifteen.
- Repeat this saffron face pack at home three to four times a week.
On continuous use, you skin will stop spouting acne and the blemishes left over by previous pimples will start to reduce.
3. Skin Lightening Face Pack using Saffron:
Saffron is very effective ar lightening the skin on account of it being an excellent skin lightening agent.
- 2 to 3 strands of saffron
- Small pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp of milk
- 1 tsp of water
- 2 to 3 drops of olive or coconut oil
- 1 bread slice
- Take about two to three strands of saffron in about one to two teaspoons of water.
- Soak them in the water overnight. After about twelve hours, the colour of water will turn golden yellowish.
- Now add the milk, the sugar and a few drops of coconut oil or olive oil to the saffron infused water.
- Immerse a piece of bread in this mixture and spread the mixture over your face with this piece of bread. Bread crumbs can stick to your face but they can be easily washed off.
- Keep this pack on your face for about fifteen minutes.
- Splash water and wash this off your face when it becomes dry. Repeat three to four times a week.
This saffron facial mask clears up the gloomy skin rapidly. It helps to reduce dark circles and fine lines. This homemade face pack made from saffron immediately increases the circulation of blood to the face and adds a glow to it.
4. A Few Homemade Face Packs with Saffron for Softer, Brighter, Glowing skin:
- Sunflower seeds
- Strands of saffron
- Cream of milk (full fat milk contains a lot of useful cream)
- Olive oil, coconut oil or almond oil (use pure oils wherever possible for better results)
- Boiled water or mineral water
- Four or five almonds
- Basil leaves
- Bengal gram
Face Pack 1: Soak Sunflower seeds and saffron in milk for about eight to ten hours. Grind this mixture and apply on your skin in an upward motion. This face mask makes your skin fair and rosy.
Face Pack 2: Blend a few threads of saffron with milk and drink it regularly, your complexion will recover naturally and your skin will become healthier from the inside.
Face Pack 3: You can also grind a few filaments of saffron with olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil or sesame oil to massage your skin. Massaging your skin with these oils gives brighter and softer skin.
Face Pack 4: Mix honey with a few strands of saffron added to it. Massage your face with this face pack which is a home remedy that supplies oxygen to the skin and promotes blood circulation. Saffron and honey together help to remove any kind of black spots that may be present on the face.
Face Pack 5: Boil or filter water (you can also use mineral water or R O Purified water) and add 10 to 15 strings of saffron and milk powder to it (use milk powder of if fresh milk is not available or is not feasible). Then combine the whole mixture and place this mix on the face to get a glowing face.
Face Pack 6: Soak about 10 strings of saffron with 4 to 5 almonds for one night. Grind and apply the paste as a face pack for about 15 minutes. This will develop the skin tone as well as bring back moisture balance of the skin because of the natural almond oil present in the ground almonds.
Face Pack 7: Take 5 basil leaves and 10 to 15 strings of saffron and grind them together nicely. Put this mixture on pimples and pimple prone areas twice weekly. The pimples will disappear and never come again.
Face Pack 8: Black spots and dark circles on the face can be removed by applying saffron soaked overnight in about two tablespoons of water and then blended until the strands of saffron are no longer visible.
Face Pack 9: Take 2 table spoons of pure milk and 1 table spoon of Bengal gram and soak it for the entire night. Grind the soaked gram with 10 strings of saffron and put it on the face. Wash it off after 15 minutes or when the paste starts to dry up. This reduces dullness of the face and awakens your skin.
Age old method to achieve a glowing face using saffron as a Nasal supplement:
- Three to four saffron strands
- Cow ghee ( ghee made from cow’s milk )
- About two spoons of milk ( boiled and cooled )
- A pinch of sugar
- To a pinch of saffron, add about half teaspoon of ghee (ghee is nothing but clarified butter made from cow’s milk) and lightly cook over a fire in a spoon.
- Remove this from the fire before the saffron starts to burn. Grind this cooked saffron thoroughly.
- Now, to a spoon of boiled and cooled milk, add this paste and a about pinch of sugar and mix well. Strain the mixture through a fine strainer.
- This liquid mixture is to be inhaled through the nose and not for application on the face. Everyday inhale five drops through each nostril to get a glowing lustrous face.
Word of caution, do this only if you can tolerate the burning through your nose. Not for the faint-hearted.
See how beneficial this little thread like tiny thing is?
Saffron is considered the king of spices. Well it certainly is the king of beauty too. Have you used Saffron face packs or masks yet?
Hope this article on saffron face masks help you achieve best results. Please share your experiences with us.
- 8 Most Popular Homemade Fruit Face Packs For Glowing Skin
- 7 Strawberry Face Packs For Glowing Skin
- 5 Effective Almond Face Packs That You Can Try
- 5 Amazing Neem Face Packs For All Skin Types
- 5 Miracle Herbal Face Packs For Varied Uses
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)
Latest posts by rmyah v (see all)
- Jennifer Lopez’s Beauty Secrets Revealed - March 20, 2013
- 15 Simple Home Remedies For Dandruff That Worked Wonders For Me - February 21, 2013
- Laser Therapy: A Novel Way To Fight Hair Loss - February 2, 2013
- Kristen Stewart Inspired Eye Makeup Tutorial - January 31, 2013