A Fun DIY! Homemade Hair Serum
Hair damage is not restricted to the sun anymore. With so much pollution around and various styling issues to blame too, there is a lot your hair goes through each day!
Of course you may be doing the regular oil massage and shampoo and conditioning and the like, but do you think it’s enough to reverse the damage? Sadly no.Your hair needs something more to keep it protected and help restore its natural moisture and shine. This is where a hair serum comes in.
How does a hair serum help?
- Hair serums are meant for treating and preparing hair before using heat on your hair
- They help prevent your hair from breakage.
- Usually, hair serums contain Silicon which tends to coat your hair like a plastic. This may give a smooth and shiny effect instantly.
Silicon content in the hair serums can eventually damage your hair which leads to hair fall and breakage. In addition to the branded hair serums that you get in the markets, there are many simple homemade hair serum recipes that you can easily prepare. These will help your hair by nourishing and protecting it.
Here are two simple and effective hair serum recipes that are good for dry and oily hair types. As these contain natural and essential oils they will help nourish your hair.
For Oily Hair:
Oily hairs should go for light oil as a base for making your hair serum. Oils like coconut oil and jojoba oil are lighter than other oils and hence they are perfect for oily hairs and scalps. The excess oiliness in hair is caused due to the sebum produced by the sebaceous gland, which makes hair look greasy all the time. Therefore, you should choose an essential oil which controls the gland and makes it back to normal. Lemon, peppermint and geranium essential oils are light and suit oily hair the best.
- To make the serum, mix few drops of any essential oil mentioned above with 100 ml of coconut or jojoba oil.
- Shake well and store this serum in a dark and tight screw type bottle.
- This oil can be applied over dry or damp hair to retain its moisture and also to prevent excess oiliness.
For those of you who do not want to apply this during the day, as it may make your hair look oily, you can always use it at night. Massage this serum over hair and scalp every night before going to bed.
For Dry Hair:
Dry hair types are usually prone to split ends and breakage. Thick concentrated and moisturizing oils like castor oil should be selected as the serum base. For dry scalps, essential oils like rosewood and lavender suit well.
- Mix a few drops of any of these essential oils with 100ml of pure castor oil
- Shake well and store in an airtight bottle.
- If you feel that the consistency of the castor oil is very thick, you can add 20ml of coconut oil to lighten the consistency.
A daily massage on dry scalp with this hair serum results in beautiful, lustrous and nourished hair without any split ends or dryness. Leaving the serum overnight gives double benefits to dry hair.
Tips to Remember
- Avoid using hair straighteners, curlers and other heat producing hair equipment often as they may damage your hair. This leads to lifeless and dull hair.
- These hair serums can be used twice or thrice a week to nourish and protect hair as they are made naturally without any silicon or other harmful preservatives.
Make these now, depending on your hair type, and let us know the difference it brought to your hair!
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)