Petroleum jelly, popularly addressed by its brand name Vaseline, is found in most households. This gooey jelly is rich in natural waxes and mineral oils and forms a protective covering on the skin to prevent moisture loss. It is used to soften chapped lips, dry skin, and cracked heels, especially in winters. But did you know that you can use it on your hair too? It is widely believed that Vaseline boosts hair growth and fights dandruff. Is it just another trend on the internet, or is there some truth to it? Read on to find out.
Table Of Contents
Is Vaseline Good For Your Hair?
It depends on how you use it. Vaseline contains mineral oil, petroleum oils, and natural waxes and creates a protective covering to prevent moisture loss. It is believed that this property of Vaseline can help your locks retain moisture, strengthen them, and prevent breakage.
You can use Vaseline to treat “cradle cap” in infants. It relieves extreme dryness on the baby’s scalp and soothes the condition. However, there is no scientific research to support the claim that Vaseline promotes hair growth. On the contrary, Vaseline can clog the hair follicles and cause hair thinning and hair loss. It is also not helpful in treating dandruff.
Vaseline can help control flyaways and tame frizz. You can use it with overnight hair masks or dab some on the hair ends to prevent split ends. Vaseline is quite versatile and can be used to moisturize your eyelashes and eyebrows.
Vaseline is popularly used to manage a lice infestation. It is believed that it lubricates the hair and aids easy removal of lice and nits. You can use Vaseline in different ways, depending on your hair needs. Find out in the next section how to use it.
How To Use Vaseline For Hair
Note: Use a pea-sized amount of Vaseline. Excess petroleum jelly is difficult to remove and may clog the hair follicles.
- For Hair Growth: Massage the hair strands with Vaseline once a week. Leave it on for some time and wash it off. Vaseline prevents moisture loss, and massage boosts blood circulation, improving your hair health.
- To Manage Split Ends: Apply a tiny amount of petroleum jelly like a hair serum to the hair ends. This keeps the split ends in check and prevents dryness and hair breakage due to lack of moisture.
- Add To Your Hair Mask: You can add Vaseline to your DIY hair masks or use it on its own.
- As A Styling Gel: Dab a little bit of Vaseline to set the stray hair strands in place.
- To Soothe Dry Scalp: Before shampooing, massage the scalp with a little bit of petroleum jelly. This will reduce scaling and itching associated with dandruff.
- For Lice Treatment: Apply Vaseline thoroughly to the hair strands. Cover the head with a shower cap. Leave it on overnight and wash the hair with shampoo and conditioner. Anecdotal evidence states that Vaseline can choke the lice and ensure easy removal.
- Prevent Dye Stains: You can use it to prevent staining during hair dyeing. Apply petroleum jelly around your hairline, behind the ears, and on your nape to avoid dye stains.
Getting Petroleum jelly out of your hair can get a bit tricky due to its stickiness. Here are a few tips for easy removal.
Ways To Get Vaseline Out Of Your Hair
- Shampoo: Use a clarifying shampoo to remove all traces of petroleum jelly from your hair and scalp. Follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner.
- Baking Soda: If you do not have a clarifying shampoo, mix a teaspoon of baking soda with your regular shampoo to remove Vaseline from your hair.
- Activated Charcoal: You can use activated charcoal powder with your shampoo to remove the extra petroleum jelly from your hair.
Vaseline is a versatile product with many skin benefits. It does not have moisturizing properties but can shield the skin and prevent moisture loss. However, it will not miraculously boost your hair growth. It can help seal the cuticles and manage frizzy and dry hair. Follow the tips to incorporate petroleum jelly into your hair care routine.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
How to use Vaseline during hair dyeing?
Apply Vaseline to grease the areas behind the ears, on your neck, and temples to prevent staining.
Can Vaseline be used with hair masks?
Yes, Vaseline can be used with regular or DIY hair masks.
How long do you leave Vaseline on the hair for managing lice?
Leave it on overnight for managing lice infestation. Cover the head with a shower cap to prevent any mess.
- 10 Best Hair Growth Tonics That Actually Work
- Aloe Vera for Hair: Benefits, How to Use It and More
- Turmeric For Hair Growth
- Mineral Oil For Hair
Latest posts by Annie Jangam (see all)
- 10 Best Eye Creams For Sensitive Skin – 2021 - March 2, 2021
- How To Properly Clean A Flat Iron - March 2, 2021
- How To Co-Wash Your Hair: Pros and Cons Of Co-Washing - March 1, 2021
- 10 Best Cuticle Removers – 2020 - March 1, 2021
- 10 Best Eye Creams For Droopy Eyelids – 2020 - March 1, 2021