These Are The 13 Best Hair Masks For Color-Treated Hair (2023)
Pamper your hair to keep them soft, silky, and beautiful while preserving your hair color.
Transforming your hair color with attractive shades and tones makes you look appealing. However, the natural hair strands can weaken in this process due to chemical agents present in the color or bleach. So, try the best hair mask for color treated hair to prevent hair breakage, dryness, split ends, and hair fall-out that usually occurs because of color treatments. In addition, these hair masks lock the moisture of your hair, add nutrients, and nourish your hair.
Scroll down to check out the 13 best hair masks for color-treated hair.
In This Article
13 Top-Rated Hair Masks You Can Safely Use On Your Color-Treated Locks
1. Best Sun Protection: Bold Uniq Purple Hair Mask
If you want to remove brassiness, yellow tones, and protect dry, damaged hair, try the Bold Uniq Purple Hair Mask. This 5-in-1 color-safe hair mask revitalizes hair strands and conditions them from the roots. It improves hair texture and shine and neutralizes the brassiness in blonde shades.
The scientifically-formulated UV filters in this purple conditioning mask absorb UV rays from the sun and keep the color from fading. These filters also maintain color vibrancy. The mask’s ultra-pigmented violet tone is specifically formulated for lighter hair shades. It enhances the blonde, platinum, silver, or grey coloring. Take a look at this video to get more information on the product.
- Soy Protein: The amino acids in soy protein help strengthen the locks, improve texture, and repair damage. Hydrolyzed soy protein is a deep conditioning ingredient. It helps reduce flaking and restores suppleness. It also enhances the general hair appearance.
- Vitamin B5: It binds with the hair strands and adds structure to dehydrated locks. The nutrient restores hair resilience and strength.
- Jojoba Oil: Its fatty acids protect the moisture barrier of the hair strands. The oil also strengthens hair.
- Marula Oil: It strengthens hair from the root to the tip without leaving a greasy residue. Its powerful antioxidants protect the strands from environmental damage.
- Coconut Oil: The vitamins and essential fatty acids in coconut oil nourish the scalp and prevent excess sebum formation. The oil also adds hair shine and tames frizziness.
Hair Types: Dry and normal hair
- 100% vegan
- Improves hair elasticity
- Protects against sun damage
- Protects blonde hair color
2. Best Cruelty-Free Formula: Sunatoria Professional Keratin Hair Mask
Transform your damaged, color-treated, dry hair into smooth, silky, and nourished with the Sunatoria Professional Keratin Hair Mask. It makes damaged hair extra shiny and healthier. In addition, the hair mask improves the elasticity of the hair and strengthens each hair strand. This video offers a more detailed explanation of the product.
- Keratin: Restores the shine of your hair and replenishes your hair. It also makes curly hair smooth and strong.
- Collagen & Biotin: This helps to make your hair shiny, protected, and smooth.
- Aloe vera: It helps to condition your hair making hair strands healthy.
- Hair Types: Suitable for all hair types
3. Best For Detangling: BIOLAGE Deep Treatment Hair Mask
The BIOLAGE Deep Treatment Hair Mask is a multipurpose formula specially designed to maintain and restore color-treated hair. It strengthens hair, prevents breakage and split ends, revealing soft and healthy hair. It prevents color fading, keeping your hair vibrant while making hair manageable without any tangles.
- Orchid and Apricot Seeds: These ingredients help retain the moisture of the color-treated hair, and strengthen their follicles to keep hair healthy and strong.
Hair Type: Color-treated hair
- No parabens
- Maintains hair color
- Makes hair manageable
- Strong scent
4. Best Anti-Frizz Formula: Vitamins Hair Cosmetics Deep Conditioning Keratin Hair Mask
The Vitamins Hair Cosmetics Deep Conditioning Mask is formulated to add life to dry, damaged, and fine hair. It is a professional-grade salon-quality keratin treatment that deeply conditions locks, repairs split ends, controls frizz, and strengthens damaged color- and chemical-treated hair. It also offers long-lasting hydration to the scalp.
- Keratin Extracts: These seal in hydration and restore hair shine. The keratin easily bonds with the hair strands and strengthens them from the roots.
- Moroccan Argan Oil: It is rich in vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and antioxidants. It makes hair soft, seals hydration, increases elasticity, and restores hair shine. The antioxidants protect the color-treated strands from fading. They also prevent UV damage.
- Wheat Germ Oil: It is rich in vitamins and antioxidants that condition hair and protect it from environmental aggressors. It helps seal moisture and absorbs excess sebum.
Hair Types: Chemically-treated dry, curly, and damaged hair
- Reduces frizz
- Long-lasting effect
- Weightless formula
- Overwhelming fragrance
- Not suitable for thick hair
5. Best Restorative Formula: artnaturals Argan Oil Hair Mask
The artnaturals Argan Oil Hair Mask is infused with natural extract conditions. These organic ingredients help repair hair damage. They also protect hair from damage due to excess heat and styling. You may check this video for a better understanding of this product.
- Argan Oil: It hydrates dry, dehydrated hair. It is a great moisturizer that conditions hair from the roots. It penetrates the hair cuticles and makes hair softer and manageable. It is rich in fatty acids and vitamin E that restructure the protective hair barrier. Vitamin E also protects hair from free radical damage. It gets easily absorbed into the hair follicles without leaving a greasy residue. It helps restore hair shine as well.
Hair Types: Oily, dry, and normal hair
- Restorative formula
- Certified vegan
- Ethically sourced
6. Best For Brassy Tones: Pravana The Perfect Blonde Purple Toning Masque
Pravana The Perfect Blonde Purple Toning Masque deeply nourishes highly pigmented colors and restores hair radiance and vibrancy. It adds shine to hair, moisturizes thirsty locks, and infuses strength.
- Cocoa Butter: The healing and softening properties of cocoa butter deeply nourish hair follicles and promote hair growth.
- Coconut Oil: It hydrates hair follicles from the root to the tip. The fatty acids in coconut oil strengthen the protective hair barrier and leave hair shiny.
Hair Type: Dry hair
- Protects the brassy tones
- Strengthens hair follicles
7. Best For Hair Growth: Royal Formula Nature’s Potent Argan Oil Hair Mask Professional Series
The Royal Formula Nature’s Potent Argan Oil Hair Mask repairs restore, hydrates, moisturizes, and strengthens weak, chemically-damaged hair. This clinically-proven formula with natural botanical extracts improves hair softness and texture and promotes new hair follicular growth. It is easy to use. It smells clean and protects hair color.
- Argan Oil: It is rich in fatty acids, including linoleic and oleic acids, which lubricate the hair shaft, protect the hair moisture barrier, and restore hair hydration. It has powerful antioxidants that act as a safeguard against environmental assaults. Vitamin E, the potent antioxidant in argan oil, possesses anti-inflammatory properties that reduce irritation and itching.
- Sweet Almond Oil: It is rich in vitamin E that protects the hair strands from free radical damage. It also protects the colored locks from UV damage. The oil acts as an emollient, fills the gap in between the hair strands at the cellular level, and leaves hair looking silky smooth. It also strengthens the hair roots and prevents hair breakage and split ends.
Hair Types: All hair types
- Clinically-proven formula
- Soothing fragrance
- Tames frizz and split ends
8. Best For Hair Conditioning: Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask
The Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask is infused with natural botanical extracts that nourish and soothe dry, dull hair. This salon-quality hair mask is clinically-approved. It penetrates the hair shaft and makes your hair shiny in just 3 to 5 minutes. The nut oil extract in the mask nourishes and adds moisture to the bottom of each hair strand. The 100% organic botanical extracts seal hair moisture and leave hair touchably soft and smooth.
- Olive Oil: It penetrates the hair shaft, strengthens the roots, and leaves hair feeling silky soft and smooth. It also reduces scalp itching and dandruff.
- Sweet Almond Oil: It moisturizes the hair surface and strengthens hair roots.
- Meadowfoam Extract: It helps restore dull, damaged hair. It also moistens the middle of the hair shaft.
Hair Types: Dry and damaged hair
- Works as a leave-in conditioner
- Give results in just 3-5 minutes
- Adds luster
9. Best For Moisturizing: Arvazallia Fortifying Protein Hair Mask
The Arvazallia Fortifying Protein Hair Mask is among the top salon products for treating dry, damaged hair. This deep conditioning hair mask with nourishing ingredients moisturizes, hydrates, and reinvigorates dry, damaged, and chemically processed hair. It restores the hair moisture levels.
This mask is infused with fatty acid-rich argan oil that seals moisture and lubricates and nourishes the hair shaft. The infused antioxidants in the argan oil hair mask offer a protective fatty layer to the hair and scalp. This prevents dryness, reduces frizz, and boosts shine.
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein: It thickens the hair strands and adds volume and luster. Its low molecular weight allows it to penetrate the hair follicles and get absorbed into the inner hair fibers. It leaves hair feeling soft, smooth, and manageable.
- Moroccan Argan Oil: The powerful antioxidants and fatty acids in argan oil keep hair hydrated, and protect it from styling, coloring, and free radical damage. The oil also tames frizz, adds shine, and fights dandruff.
- Macadamia Oil: Macadamia oil is rich in essential fatty acids that work more efficiently than any other mineral oil. They bind to each hair shaft and strengthen it. The blend of macadamia and argan oils reconstructs and rebuilds damaged hair. It also improves hair health, shine, and elasticity.
Hair Type: All hair types
- 100% vegan
- Helps detangle hair
- Tames frizz
- Repairs split ends
10. Best Antibacterial Formula: Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask
If you want an intensive weekly treatment to repair, rejuvenate, and restore the luster of dry, dehydrated hair, the Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask would be ideal. The emollient mix of natural botanical extracts with natural oil restores hair shine and moisture.
This deep conditioning mask rejuvenates hair strands, seals hair moisture, and restores hair hydration. The unique formulations of the NOVA complex with essential nutrients and oil help treat damaged hair.
- Rosehip Oil: It increases the strength of hair roots and promotes hair growth. It provides fatty acids to balance hair hydration and control frizz. The antioxidants in rosehip oil, like vitamin C and lycopene, protect the strands from environmental and chemical damage.
- Algae Extract: It contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that add vibrancy to dull, lifeless hair. Moreover, it reduces inflammation caused by a bacterial infection. It also promotes hair growth and adds bounce to limp hair.
- Almond Oil: The protein and fatty acids in almond oil act as a protective barrier to boost hair shine and vibrancy. They also seal hair moisture.
Hair Types: Dry, damaged, and chemically-treated hair
- Clinically-proven formula
- Free from silicones
- No phthalates
- Free from artificial dyes
- No TEA/MEA/DEA
11. Best UV Protection: Kerastase Paris Reflection Mask Chromatique Multi-Protecting Mask
The Kerastase Paris Multi-Protecting Chromatique Mask deeply nourishes hair to protect and prolong color vibrancy. The nourishing ingredients with antioxidants illuminate shine and protect hair from UV damage.
- Zinc Gluconate: It captures and seals color deep within the hair fibers by creating a strong ionic bond between the coloring agents. Zinc is also beneficial for repairing hair tissue and promoting hair growth.
- Linseed Oil: It is commonly known as flaxseed oil. It is rich in vitamin E, a potent antioxidant that protects hair from UV damage. Lignan, another strong antioxidant, can help with hair regrowth and keep hair healthy and shiny. This water-repelling oil polishes and smooths the hair from the root to the tip.
- Vitamin E: It acts as a deep moisturizer, reduces hair breakage, and helps fight oxidative stress. It helps prevent premature hair color fading.
Hair Type: Dry hair
- Prolongs hair color
- Protects hair from UV damage
- Restores hair shine
- Soothes scalp irritation
12. Best Scalp Protection: Kenra Nourishing Masque Deep Conditioning Treatment
The Kenra Nourishing Deep Conditioning Hair Mask is a repairing mask to rejuvenate dry, damaged hair. It reconstructs and moisturizes hair and leaves hair feeling silky, soft, smooth, and manageable.
- Hydrolyzed Soy Protein: It improves hair texture, strengthens individual hair fibers, and repairs hair damage.
- Sunflower Seed Oil: The essential fatty acids, vitamin E, and ceramides in sunflower seed oil provide deep nourishment to hair. They also soothe dry hair and the scalp. They seal in hair moisture and keep hair healthy and strong.
- Avocado Fruit Extract: It is rich in oleic acid and monounsaturated fatty acids that penetrate the hair shaft and moisturize it from the root to the tip. It also helps prevent hair breakage.
Hait Type: All hair types
- Replenishes moisture
- Restore shine
13. Best For Itchy Scalp: TruePure Natural Hair Mask
The natural oils with a hydrating botanical extract make the TruePure Natural Hair Mask a perfect choice to restore hair resilience. The truly pure organic ingredients help repair weak, brittle hair and restore its shine and luster. The elixir blend of essential oils creates a salon-style repair treatment for the hair and scalp.
- Coconut Oil: It provides moisture and softens and repairs dry, damaged hair. The MUFAs (monounsaturated fatty acids) in coconut oil help prevent moisture loss from hair.
- Argan Oil: The antioxidants and fatty acids of argan oil deeply nourish and repair the hair shaft. They seal in moisture for healthier-looking hair.
- Jojoba Seed Oil: It is packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that supply the essential nutrients to hair follicles while protecting them from environmental and chemical aggressors.
- Saw Palmetto Fruit Extract: It is a potent DHT-blocker that may block 5-alpha-reductase, an enzyme that causes androgenic hair loss.
- Orange Peel Oil: It is rich in vitamin C that treats scalp-related issues. It also alleviates dry, itchy scalp.
Hair Type: All hair types
- Strengthens hair roots
- Non-GMO ingredients
- Consistency could be too thin
These are the 13 hair masks for colored hair that protect your strands and restore hair shine. They also moisturize hair for a visibly healthier look. Before you make a purchase, there are few factors you need to check for. Take a look.
How To Choose The Right Hair Mask For Color-Treated Hair
- Define Your Hair Type: Before choosing the right product for your color-treated hair, it is important to understand your hair type. If you have dry hair, choose an intense moisturizing color-protected hair mask to restore hydration. If you have curly, kinky hair, choose a hair mask that not only maintains your curls but also provides nourishment and is color-safe.
- Anti-Breakage Formula: Color-treated hair often undergoes split ends or hair breakage that further damage the locks. The mask should have a blend of argan oil, coconut oil, and aloe vera gel that not only maintains hair texture but also prevent hair breakage.
- Intense Hydration: Providing optimum hydration is the key to protecting color-treated hair. Pick ingredients that are naturally derived, organic, and emollient. Pick argan oil, sweet almond oil, aloe vera, jojoba oil, and soy protein. They strengthen the hair roots and offer a protective layer to prevent water loss from hair.
- Look For Antioxidants: Ensure the hair mask contains vitamins A, C, and E that protect the hair shaft from free radical damage.
- Free From Chemicals: Ensure the mask contains organic ingredients that protect, nourish, and revitalize hair follicles. It should be free from parabens, sulfates, phthalates, formaldehyde, and other chemicals.
The best hair masks for colored hair improve the texture of your tresses while moisturizing them to their very core. Some of these masks also enhance the hair color while improving the elasticity of your tresses. The ingredients used in these masks help in strengthening the hair, preventing breakage, split ends, and managing your tangles. You should choose products that can reduce scalp itching and dandruff. Avoid the masks that are strong-scented or have an unpleasant odor.
Why Trust Stylecraze?
Author Oyendrila Kanjilal is a certified skincare coach who also has a keen interest in hair care. So, she understands how important it is to take care of your hair after color treatment. Before preparing the final list, she has gone through several online platforms to learn more about hydrating hair masks for color-treated hair masks. These hair masks prevent hair breakage and nourish your color-treated hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can hair masks repair hair?
Yes, hair masks with natural botanical extracts can repair hair.
Is it bad to use a hair mask every day?
A hair mask is a deep conditioning cream that nourishes your strands. Regular use may make your hair oily. Use once a week to enjoy the benefits.
Is leaving a hair mask overnight bad?
A few leave-in hair masks can be used overnight. Choose accordingly.
How often can you use hair masks on color-treated hair?
You can use hair masks on your color-treated hair once a week.
How do you keep color-treated hair healthy?
To keep colored hair healthy, reduce the frequency of shampooing and use co-washes (washing with a light conditioner) in between wash days. Always use a heat protectant spray before heat-styling your hair. Wear sunscreen or protective scarves and hats before stepping out in the sun.
Should I use a hair mask right after coloring?
Yes, it will be beneficial to use a deep conditioning hair mask right after coloring it to lock the color and nourish your hair after bleaching it.
How long should I leave my hair mask on?
Leave your hair mask on for 20-30 minutes before washing it out. However, some masks are formulated for overnight use. So, check the label of the product and apply it accordingly.
Do I put a hair mask on the roots?
Yes, some hair masks are made to nourish the scalp as well. Check the label of the product to know if the mask is for both hair and scalp or only hair strands.
Can I use a hair mask instead of a conditioner on color-treated hair?
Yes, you can use a hair mask instead of conditioner on your color-treated hair once or twice a week to prevent it from getting dull and limp.
What is the difference between a hair mask and a conditioner?
A hair mask treats the damage in your hair by penetrating deeply into your hair shaft. A conditioner doesn’t work so deeply. It smoothes and nourishes your hair surface.
- Best Hair Masks Available In India For Dry, Frizzy Hair
- Best Organic Hair Masks
- Best Drugstore Hair Masks To Buy Online – With Buying Tips
- Best Hair Masks For Blonde Hair