In recent years, the popularity of coconut oil has soared to great heights after Kim Kardashian revealed that she uses it to nourish her tresses. Be it for the skin, hair, or health, coconut oil can have significant positive effects. The uses of coconut oil don’t stop here. In this post, we will briefly discuss the benefits of coconut oil before you get to the list of the top coconut oil brands available on the market.
Benefits Of Coconut Oil: 5 Reasons Your Hair Needs To Be Pampered With Coconut Oils
1. Prevents Hair Damage
According to research published in the Journal of Cosmetic Science, coconut oil can prevent hair damage, and its application could reduce protein loss in both damaged and non-damaged tresses. This is because coconut oil contains a principal fatty acid called lauric acid.
2. Stimulates Hair Growth
The lauric acid in the oil can penetrate hair shafts and promote hair growth (3).
3. Prevents Lice
A clinical study shows that coconut oil, when combined with anise in a spray, can help treat head lice (4).
4. Possible Sun Protection
Studies have shown that coconut oil could have a moderate UV-blocking ability. Although it is much lower than a commercial UV blocker, it may have some potential (5).
5. Dandruff Control
There are no direct results that state the potential of coconut oil in controlling dandruff. Coconut oil contains straight-chain fatty acids that may act as antimicrobial agents (6). Hence, the oil may be useful in dandruff control.
Coconut oil can do a world of good to your hair. But with too many brands on the market, picking the right one could be difficult. Check out our list of the top 10 coconut oil brands on the market.
Top 10 Coconut Oils For Healthy And Lustrous Hair
1. Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
This multi-purpose organic extra virgin coconut oil comes with whole-body benefits. You can use it for your skin, hair, nails, and in your cooking. If you have extremely dry and damaged hair, use this oil as a hair mask once or twice a week. This can help transform dull and lifeless tresses to lustrous and healthy locks.
The oil can also be used as a skin moisturizer, makeup remover, and a delicious bread spread. For better results, apply the oil to your hair, massage your scalp for 5 minutes, and leave it on overnight. Rinse the oil in the morning to nourish and rejuvenate your tresses.
- No refrigeration required
- Non-sticky and non-greasy
- Hydrates dry hair
- Reduces breakage
2. COCO & CO. Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
This lab-tested extra virgin coconut oil is fine as silk and pure as water. It is packed with essential nutrients for your skin, hair, and body. The oil’s unique extraction process makes it 100% pure compared to regular coconut oil. It is a light formula that melts into your skin. Be it for cooking or your everyday beauty routine, this oil claims to give a ton of benefits.
The coconut oil is made from freshly pressed coconut milk that is chilled and separated, making it into raw and pure oil. When applied to hair, it smooths and softens dry strands to give you silky and nourished hair. With regular use, this oil can give you longer, thicker, and stronger hair.
- Adds a natural glow to your hair
- Improves hair texture
- Controls dandruff
- Pleasant aroma
3. Premium Nature Coconut Oil
Premium Nature Coconut Oil is a fractionated and cold-pressed oil that provides several therapeutic, beauty, and health benefits. It has antibacterial and antiviral properties that help control dandruff and other fungal infections. This oil contains antioxidants that can help fight free radicals in the body and help prevent premature aging.
The best part about this oil is that it is easily washable and does not leave any residues on your scalp. It makes your hair lustrous and silky without weighing it down. It boosts hair growth and improves the overall texture of your hair.
- Very hydrating
- Suitable for dry and damaged hair
- Improves your scalp health
- Lightweight formula
- Fragile packaging
4. Sky Organics Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
This oil is prepared from organically harvested coconuts. It contains key ingredients and nutrients that help condition and repair dry and damaged hair.
It claims to boost scalp health and combat dandruff, itching, and dryness. It can also strengthen hair roots and promote healthy hair growth. It is a great choice to tame wild baby hair and unmanageable locks.
The lauric acid in this coconut oil (a long-chained fatty acid) penetrates hair to infuse it with strengthening vitamins. To curb dryness, massage your hair thoroughly with this oil, leave it on for an hour or overnight, and rinse your hair the following day with a mild shampoo. Concentrate the oil on the ends of hair to tame frizz and reduce split ends.
- Improves hair texture
- Nourishes and moisturizes your hair
- Repairs damaged tresses
- Adds life to dull hair
- Imparts shine
- Suitable for all hair types
5. Viva Naturals Organic Fractionated Coconut Oil
Viva Naturals Organic Fractionated Oil is made from fresh, hand-picked USDA-approved organic coconuts. It is a lightweight and non-greasy formula that moisturizes your hair. The oil nourishes your hair and helps combat frizz and dryness.
You can also use it as a detangler as it helps loosen the knots. With regular use, it restores hydration and enhances shine. This coconut oil could be a good choice for treating dry and damaged tresses.
- Ideal carrier for essential oils
- Free from additives
- Absorbs quickly
- Locks in moisture
- Strong fragrance
6. Pure Body Naturals 100% Pure Fractionated Coconut Oil
This all-natural, multipurpose coconut oil works like a miracle for your hair, face, and body. It is a non-greasy formula that could work as a perfect hair moisturizer and conditioner. This intensely hydrating oil is ideal for dry hair as it replenishes, rejuvenates, and nourishes dull tresses, giving you soft, silky, and healthy hair.
It improves your scalp health and helps restore hair growth and reduces hair fall, helping you to achieve longer, stronger, and thicker locks. Massage the oil into your hair and scalp. This can help strengthen the roots and promotes rapid hair growth.
- Promotes blood circulation in the scalp
- Non-drip bottle
- Free of additives and fragrance
- Extremely diluted
7. SheaMoisture Head-To-Toe Nourishing Hydration 100% Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
This 100% extra virgin coconut oil is ideal for extremely dry, damaged, and distressed hair. It is packed with vitamins, proteins, and antioxidants that instantly hydrate and nourish hair, and protect it from damage. The minerals and fatty acids in this oil help restore your hair’s vitality and elasticity.
The oil adds intense moisture to help keep your hair smooth and silky all day. It also claims to enhance shine and manageability while reducing frizz. Use the oil in the recommended quantities to moisturize, treat, and repair your hair.
- Tames frizzy and unmanageable hair
- Suitable for texturized and chemically treated hair
- Non-greasy formula
- Adds lustrous shine
- Softens and conditions your tresses
- Does not weigh your hair down
- Poor product design.
8. Oliology Coconut Hair Oil
Oliology Coconut Oil is a nutrient-rich hair oil that deeply hydrates each strand, repairs damaged cuticles, and restores vibrancy to dull and lifeless hair.
It is a lightweight formula that rejuvenates and revives even the most distressed hair caused by chemical treatments, straightening, heat-styling, and coloring. The oil adds intense shine and improves your hair texture.
- Provides soft and silky hair
- Controls frizz
- Strengthens the roots
- Promotes hair growth
- Improves scalp health
- Synthetic smell
9. Ultimate Originals Therapy Coconut Oil Stimulating Growth Oil
This hair growth stimulator is fortified and enriched with pure coconut oil and is an ideal choice for curly, wavy, and kinky hair. It is formulated to repair, strengthen, and add shine to dry and damaged hair. The formula is packed with essential nutrients that help rejuvenate, condition, and moisturize your hair all day long.
- Easy to apply
- Lightweight formula
- Non-drip package
- Reasonably priced
- Not 100% pure coconut oil
10. Organic Root Stimulator Coconut Oil Hair & Scalp Hairdress
Organic Root Stimulator Coconut Oil Hairdress is a lightweight oil that adds long-lasting reflective luster to your hair without weighing it down. It rejuvenates your hair and scalp, removing dead skin cells to promote healthy hair growth.
The oil improves moisture retention and shine and enhances the overall texture of your hair. It provides nourishment to each strand to prevent protein loss and protect against damage.
- Rich in nutrients
- Very effective
- Softens hair and conditions scalp
- Availability issues
You can get smoother and healthier hair by using these top-rated coconut oils. Coconut oil is available in different variants. In the following section, we have discussed them in brief.
Types Of Coconut Oils: What To Know Before Buying Coconut Oil
1. Organic Coconut Oil
Organic coconut oil is free of pesticides and is extracted from the coconuts that do not go through intensive chemical farming techniques. You should make sure that there is a logo certifying the oil as organic.
2. Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil
Cold-pressed means the processing of the oil is directly carried out from the meat of the coconut at controlled temperatures. This way, the oil has all its nutrients intact.
3. Refined Coconut Oil
Refined coconut oil is made from dried coconut meat. The meat is bleached and sterilized. It is then processed to extract as much oil as possible.
This means the oil is freshly made from mature coconuts and has not undergone any chemical processing. The other name for this variant is virgin coconut oil.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Although coconut oil has benefits, it also could cause certain side effects. Check these 12 unexpected side effects of coconut oil before buying.
How To Apply Coconut Oil
As coconut oil is a versatile carrier oil that can blend with many ingredients, it has different methods of applications. Here 10 ways to use it to promote hair growth.
Coconut oil is a potent oil that comes with a combination of health and beauty benefits. If you are looking for an ideal coconut oil that promotes hair growth, pick a suitable product from the list and try it out.
- Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage, Journal of Cosmetic Science, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Health Effects of Coconut Oil-A Narrative Review of Current Evidence, Journal of the American College of Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- The effectiveness of coconut oil mixed with herbsto promote hair growth, International Journal of Ethics in Engineering & Management Education, Academia.
- Clinical trial showing superiority of a coconut and anise spray over permethrin 0.43% lotion for head louse infestation, ISRCTN96469780, European Journal of Pediatrics, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- UV-blocking potential of oils and juices, International Journal of Cosmetic Science, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Fatty acids and derivatives as antimicrobial agents, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
Latest posts by Pooja Karkala (see all)
- 10 Best Mouthwashes For Healthy Teeth And Gums And Fighting Bad Breath - February 11, 2020
- Top 10 Pureology Shampoos – Reviews - February 11, 2020
- 10 Best Castor Oils That Promote Hair Growth - February 11, 2020
- 10 Best (Soft And Hard) Bonnet Hair Dryers Of 2020 – Reviews And Buying Guide - February 10, 2020
- 15 Best Drugstore Hair Dyes For At-Home Coloring - February 4, 2020