Deciding on a new tattoo is exciting, but are you ready for the needle-stabbing pain? If not, it should help to invest in the best tattoo numbing sprays that will make things much easier for you. A good quality numbing spray restricts the transmission of pain signals to your brain, making the process of getting inked easier. If you own a tattoo parlor or want to get your next tattoo without the pain, check out some of the top-rated and professional-grade products that we have listed for you. Keep scrolling to find out more about them!
In This Article
6 Best Tattoo Numbing Sprays
The topical anesthetic spray Liposomal Numb520 from Ebanel contains lidocaine that provides temporary local anesthesia by numbing the skin. The phenylephrine in the formula tightens the blood vessels, restricting the blood from carrying away the medicine. This, in turn, increases the longevity of its effects. Its skin soothing ingredients like arginine and allantoin tame redness and inflammation caused by tattoo needles. It encapsulates lidocaine HCl and epinephrine into liposomes and thus gets absorbed into the skin instantly. It reaches the maximum numbing effect in just 5 to 10 minutes and stays the same for at least one hour. This non-oily, non-greasy fast-acting numbing spray is 100% safe for sensitive skin as well.
- Water-based formula
- Faster results
- No harsh chemicals
- GMP certified
- Might sting on application
The Base Numb Spray has 4% lidocaine that is clinically-proven as a local anesthetic and 1% menthol that numbs the skin to relieve pain, itching, and irritation. The menthol in the formula soothes the skin, leaving behind a cooling sensation. The skin absorbs the formula within 3 to 5 minutes, reaching its maximum effect within 15 to 30 minutes. It retains the numbing effect for approximately 1 hour. To yield the best results, use it on clean, dry skin, and re-apply the same after every 2-4 hours for a prolonged numbing effect. The sting-free formula is 100% safe for all skin types.
- Cooling sensation
- Quick action
- Long-lasting results
- Can be applied to intimate areas
- Ideal for tattooing, micro-needling, and waxing
The GiGi anesthetic numbing spray gently desensitizes or numbs the skin before tattooing and waxing to minimize discomfort. This fast-absorbing topical analgesic spray is formulated with 4% lidocaine that keeps the area numb for up to 1 hour. For extended sessions, you can always apply a few top-ups to get long-lasting results. Since it contains minimal amount of lidocaine, the spray never stings or irritates your skin.
- Non-greasy formula
- Quick action
- Doesn’t affect the vibrant tattoo color
- Can be used on animals
- Unpleasant odor
4. Best Multipurpose:Inked Inspired Lidocaine Spray
This Inked Inspired Lidocaine Spray is your ultimate solution for a pain-free tattoo experience. This premium quality numbing spray is designed to provide instant relief from the discomfort associated with getting a tattoo, allowing you to relax and enjoy the experience. It is formulated with a unique blend of lidocaine that works to numb the skin and provide long-lasting pain relief. You simply have to apply the spray to the area and wait for 10-15 minutes for it to work. It also works on common skin conditions like minor burns, insect bites, eczema, scratches, and even hemorrhoids. It is safe and effective and its compact size and easy-to-use spray bottle make it the perfect tool for use in the tattoo studio or at home.
- Quick relief
- Extra Strength
- Suitable for waxing and lip fillers
The Lidayn Surface Anesthetic Spray Mint acts as a local anesthetic agent and works on the skin by blocking the pain signals from nerves to the brain. It absorbs nicely into the skin within just 4 to 5 minutes and produces maximum numbing effect after 10 to 11minutes. This mint-flavored spray delivers 7.5mg of lidocaine USP with every actuation. It is even used for minor surgical procedures such as dental procedures, diagnostic tests, etc.
- Fast action
- More than 1800 sprays
- Refreshing flavor
- Can irritate the skin
The Ink Scribd Tattoo Numbing Spray offers you quick relief from itching or pain caused by skin irritants such as tattoos, piercings, waxing, burns, or insect bites. This over-the-counter treatment comes with a built-in spray applicator and it is one of the quickest and most effective ways to ease the pain. It offers relief within 15 minutes of spraying. It is formulated with 5% lidocaine that provides relief from the temporary discomfort that you might experience. You can check out this excellent product on Amazon as well for various testers’ experiences and unbiased customer reviews.
- Quick action
- Non-greasy formula
- Easy to use
To make inking easier and less painful, several numbing sprays on the market are available to provide a numbing effect (as a part of tattoo pain management) on the area to be tattooed. This buying guide will help you consider the factors for buying the best tattoo-numbing sprays.
Things To Consider Before Purchasing The Best Tattoo Numbing Sprays
- Ingredients: The main element in numbing sprays is lidocaine, and the highest dose medically authorized is 5%. A good numbing spray should also contain calendula, which has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Aside from this, sprays should contain herbal extracts such as aloe vera, vitamin E, minerals, antioxidants, and detoxifying agents, which help relax the skin and make it soft and smooth. Avoid sprays that include any allergen-containing ingredients. Look for paraben-free sprays, as this might put your skin in danger and trigger severe allergies.
- Formulation: While there are so many options available in the market, choose a numbing tattoo spray that is hypoallergenic, lightweight, and produces a cooling sensation. The spray should be quick absorbing, and have a non-greasy consistency that is great for tattoo after-care and can be applied to intimate areas. Water-based formulas are ideal, especially for use before tattooing. They leave no oil behind and eliminate the possibility of sliding. Look for vegan, cruelty-free, GMP-certified, and FDA-approved formulas that are mentioned on the product package.
- Longevity: These vary from spray to spray, and the setup time typically spans between 5 and 40 minutes. Consider choosing long-lasting sprays based on the size of your tattoo and the area of your body where it will be applied.
A topical numbing spray can be of huge relief during your long tattoo sessions and beneficial for detailed work during intricate procedures. But to get the best benefit from these sprays, you must use it the right way. Let’s discuss how a tattoo numbing spray should be used.
How To Apply A Tattoo Numbing Spray
- First, shave the soon-to-be tattooed area carefully
- Next, wash the skin and dry it before spritzing the numbing spray.
- Now, let it sit on the skin anywhere between 20 minutes to one hour.
- Repeat the application after some time.
If you worry about the safety factor of a tattoo numbing spray, you are not alone. Let’s discuss this in the following section
Are Numbing Sprays Safe?
Yes, tattoo numbing sprays are safe if applied correctly. These are one of the best quick-acting numbing techniques used for pain prevention. But remember, most tattoo numbing sprays contain lidocaine, known to cause allergic reaction in many. Do a patch test to check for allergies before using any product. Too much of numbing spray can irritate your skin and cause swelling or blisters. So, apply moderately and with caution when applying them on delicate areas.
Why put up with pain? Rub a dab of any of these tattoo-numbing sprays and get instant relief. While all the sprays in our list are brilliant, our top favorite is the one from Base Laboratories. The Ebanel Liposomal Numb520 Topical Anesthetic Spray is an excellent choice for individuals seeking prolonged comfort during procedures, while the Base Numb Spray is the most versatile spray and can be used for tattooing, bug or insect bite, micro-needling, cuts, and scraps. It goes deep inside the skin and retains the numbing effect for a longer time. However, you do you. Choose the one that suits your needs the most before getting a new tattoo and don’t forget to do a patch test! With these worry-free numbing sprays, you can have a more comfortable tattooing experience and enjoy your fancy tats without unnecessary pain.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Baishali Bhattacharya is passionate about skincare and keeps herself up to date with the latest trends in the industry. She understands that getting a new tattoo can be exciting yet scary. To ensure you have a painless experience, she has read through various customer testimonials online and put together a list of the best tattoo numbing sprays you can use. These sprays ensure that they restrict the transmission of pain signals to your brain, making your inking experience easy and smooth.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is better – numbing cream or spray?
Numbing sprays are better than creams. They are easier to use and their formulas act faster on tattooed areas.
How long before a tattoo do you put numbing spray on?
Apply the numbing spray 30 to 60 minutes before sitting for the tattoo session since some formulas take time to deliver the desired effect.
Can teenagers use a numbing spray?
Yes, most numbing sprays are safe for teenagers. Check the formula and do not use the spray if you have allergies to any of the ingredients, especially lidocaine.
Is it safe to use a numbing spray on my lip before getting a piercing?
No, it is not safe to use a numbing spray on your lips without your doctor’s supervision.
Can numbing spray mess up a tattoo?
Not really. However, some numbing sprays can make it harder for the tattoo artist to draw precise lines as the formulations keep your skin wet.
Is it safe to use a numbing spray when pregnant?
Most numbing sprays are safe to use during pregnancy. Consult your doctor before making a decision on using a numbing spray while your baby is on the way.
- 15 Best Numbing Creams For Laser Hair Removal – 2023 List
- 15 Best Tattoo Numbing Creams Of 2023 For A Painless Experience
- 15 Best Tattoo Aftercare Products
- 8 Best Tattoo Needles For Detailed Tattoos
- 11 Best Quality Tattoo Inks In 2023