A good tattoo design consists of patterns, thick and thin lines, solid colors, and non-fading ink. And to be able to produce those versatile art work, you will need just the right set of needles. However, it can be a hectic task to make a large collection of high-quality needles and group them based on tapers, diameters, and counts. Therefore, to make it easy for you, we have curated a list of the best tattoo needles that will help you make distinct patterns on skin. There is also a precise guide on how to use needles in tattoo art.
In This Article
8 Best Tattoo Needles
1. Best Overall: Pirate Face Tattoo Premium Needles
From professional tattoo artists to newbies, everybody loves the medical-grade stainless steel needles from Pirate Face Tattoo. These tattoo needles are packed individually in a sterile blister pack with an expiration date stamped on the back. In this premium pack, you get ten pieces of magnum shader, round shader, and round liner, each in a different needle configuration.
- Professional grade
- Controlled ink flow
- Individually packed in sterile blister pack
- Made from medical-grade stainless steel
- Fragile needles
2. Best Stability: Dragonhawk Cartridges Extreme Needle Standard 5 Round Liner
You will experience stability and a fast rebound rate with these Extreme Cartridges from Dragonhawk. It comes with smooth edges that reduce the chances of skin trauma and infection. They also have a membrane mechanism that prevents ink spit-back or spillage, making your tattoos cleaner and precise. The needles go through ethylene oxide gas sterilization, making them safe for use. In this pack, you get twenty pieces of Standard 5 Round Liner needles attached to plunger overmolds. These tattoo needle cartridges by Dragonhawk are compatible with pen-style and coiled tattoo machines.
- No spit back
- Better ink flow
- Gas sterilized
- Precise control
- High toughness
- Can be used for microneedling
- Does not hold the ink properly
3. Best Professional: Bigswap Professional Tattoo Equipment
The Bigswasp disposable tattoo needles cartridges are known for their quality. With these needles you get sharp, burr-free, and detailed tattoos thanks to its unmatched ink flow. You can create clean and straight lines with the standard round liner needles. They come pre-sterilized and are skin-friendly. Plus, they are compatible with rotaries, coiled, or Hawk tattoo machines. In this pack, you get 50 needles in multiple needle configurations.
- Medical-grade steel
- Smooth transfer of color
- No-spill back
- Individually packed
- Compatible with rotaries and coiled machines
4. Best Compatible: Autdor Mixed Tattoo Needles Set
The Autdor tattoo needles are made of 316-grade stainless steel that is safe for tattooing. The needles have clean soldering and provide great control. The set contains 50 pieces of tattoo needles of three types – round shader, round liner, and magnum shader. Each type of needle set has five pieces that come individually packed in blister packs. The needles are pre-sterilized with 100% EO gas for instant use. In addition, the tips are incredibly sharp. These tattoo needles by Autdor are compatible with most tattoo machines and provide a premium tattooing experience.
- Clean soldering
- Optimal control
- Can be used for microneedling
- Good for coloring and shading
- Individually stamped with the expiry date
5. Best Popular: ATOMUS Mixed Tattoo Needles And Tips
Professional tattoo artists trust Atomus due to its quality. This set contain needles in different configurations. They are packed in a pre-sterilized blister pack to maintain hygiene. The needles are made of 304L stainless steel, which is safe for use. They are most preferred by tattoo artists and estheticians for permanent eyebrow tattoo.
- Made of high-grade stainless steel
- Value for money
- Sturdy needles
- Great for practice
- Optimal control
6. Best Quality: Fashion Zone Disposable 5RL Tattoo Needles
The Disposable 5RL Tattoo Needles are made of high-quality stainless steel in a clean design. The needles are of standard length and easily fit in any tattoo kit. they are good for coloring and shading with optimal control. This pack contains 10 needles.
- No bend in tips
- Fits all tattoo kit
- Clean soldering
- Extremely sharp
- Excellent welding
- Effective ink flow
7. Best Disposable: Pirate Face Assorted Disposable Tattoo Needle Cartridge
The Pirate Face Tattoo Needles Cartridges are easy to replace while working. These disposable cartridges offer greater control and precision while tattooing. They let you create finer, detailed designed tattoos on the skin without cuts or tears. In this set, you get some round liner, round shader, and magnum shader needles in different configurations.
- Compatible with all rotary and coil machines
- Individually packed in a blister packet
- Needles swing freely inside the tubes
8. Best Intricate Design: Dragonhawk Assorted Liners and Shaders Tattoo Needles
The needles of Dragonhawk Assorted Liners and Shaders Tattoo Needles are made of high-grade stainless steel and have clean soldering. They are appropriately sharp that reduces the chances of skin damage Artists prefer to use these assorted liners and shaders, especially for fine craft and intricate designs. These needles are pre-sterilized with ethylene oxide.
- Neat tip arrangement
- Good for fine tattoo designs
- Ethylene Oxide sterilized
- Very sharp
To create a masterpiece on the skin you will need the right needles in the right configuration. In the section below, we talk about needles, their configurations, and much more.
What Needles Do Tattoo Artists Use?
The size of the needle depends on the size, shape, and details in the tattoo. Mostly, needle selection depends on three things – the tapper or the pointed end of the needle, its diameter, and configuration.
Tapper: The tapper of a needle determines the quality of ink flow into the skin. Lower the taper; better is the ink flow into the skin and vice versa. Therefore, choosing the right taper size is crucial. Taper sizes range between 1.5 millimeters to 7 millimeters. You will need all kinds of tapper. The higher taper will help you work with black and gray colors. The low tapers are for other colors.
Diameter: Diameter is measured when all needles in counting are aligned together along the central bar. At present, there are 4 diameters available in the market. Those are size 6 (.2 mm), size 8 (.25mm), size 10 (.30mm) and size 12 (.35mm). You can use the higher diameter for area fill. Smaller diameter needles are good for faster shading and drawing tight lines. Commonly tattoo artists use size 10 (.30mm) needles.
Configuration: It determines the number of needles grouped together for creating the desired patterns. The most common configuration of needles is– round, flat, and magnum.
Now, the experience of selecting the best tattoo needles will come with time and exposure in the industry. As you become a seasonal tattoo artist, you will understand the needles better.
What’s The Best Needle For Shading?
- Shaders: Generally, these needles are a cluster of several loosely or tightly grouped needles. The configurations of shaders come in various sets, including 3, 5, 7, 9, and 30 needles per set.
- Magnum Shader: Magnum shader is for filling bigger areas with a single color. It distributes the color evenly. Popular abbreviations used for this shader are Mag, M1, M2, and M1C.
- Round Shader: The round shader has loose needles and is mainly used for circle forming.
- Flats: A flat needle helps in distributing color and performs beautifully with single tone color. In flats, needles are arranged side-by-side in a row.
- Liners: Liner needles are tightly grouped to make sharp details and crisp lines. Its popular abbreviations are RLXP, RLXT, and RL.
All the featured tattoo needles are comprehensively selected and are available online for buying with a single click. What are you waiting for? Choose one from the list and place your order!