The best football visors are an essential component of any football helmet. They offer great performance and protect your eyes from damaging UV rays and high-impact crashes. These sports safety equipment also prevent your competitors from analyzing your expressions and anticipating your next move. Whether you are a novice or a professional football player, you will need a football visor at some time in your life. We have compiled a list of the top 10 football visors available on the market. Check it out!
In This Article
The 10 Best Football Visors
1. Best Anti-Fog: Oakley Football Shield
The Oakley Football Shield is made from the Oakley plutonite that offers adequate protection. This anti-fog football visor is made of proprietary synthetic material that is durable and offers great protection. The shield has high definition optics technology that eliminates distortion. It blocks 100% of all UVA, UVB, and UVC rays, and any harmful blue light. The shield is coated with a lens treatment that provides an anti-fog performance. It is made with a unique curvature that offers clarity at all angles of vision.
- Made from durable material
- Eliminates shield distortion
- Blocks UVA, UVB, UVC rays
- Blocks harmful blue light
- Clarity at all angles of vision
- Not resistant to scratches
2. Best Impact Protection: Nike Gridiron Eye Shield
The Nike Gridiron Eye Shield provides precise vision from every angle. The shield is made from 100% polycarbonate. It has a unique beveled edge that minimizes glare and distortion. The shield has a shock-dampening attachment that provides impact-protection at the connection points. The shield is designed to fit most football face helmets. Several reviewers on Amazon were of the opinion that this helmet makes for a comfortable fit and renders little to no visual distortion.
- Provides precise vision from every angle
- Made from 100% polycarbonate
- Unique beveled edges minimize glare and distortion
- Provides impact-protection
- Fits most football face helmets
3. Best Lightweight: Under Armour Men’s Football Visor
The Under Armour Football Visor will protect you on the playing field. The visor features a tagless design. The shield is made from polycarbonate that is durable and lightweight. This helps them provide protection without any added weight. The shield has an anti-fog and anti-scratch coating.
- Tagless design
- Made from polycarbonate material
- Durable and lightweight
- Comes with anti-fog and anti-scratch coating
Oakley Football Shield
Nike Gridiron Eye Shield
Best Impact Protection
Under Armour Men's Football Visor
|Weight||0.4 Pounds||0.5 Pounds||-|
|Dimensions LxWxH||-||6 x 6 x 1 inches||-|
4. Best Impact Protection: Arsenal Clear Football Visor
The Arsenal Clear Football Visor offers exceptional game-day performance. It provides a clear finish and superior anti-fog and anti-scratch coatings. This ensures long-lasting dependability and performance. The shield has a tough design that provides superior impact strength. It fits most football helmet visors and cages. According to user insights, the helmet is durable and easy to attach.
- Provides clear finish
- Superior anti-fog and anti-scratch coatings
- Ensures long-lasting dependability
- Tough design provides superior impact strength
- Fits most football helmets and cages
5. Best For UV/Blue Light: EliteTek Color Football Visor
The EliteTek Colored Football Visor has a color tint that allows 60% light transmittance. It has a multi-angle color reflection that offers a wide range of colors. The shield is made from optical polycarbonate material. This football visor with photochromic options blocks the harmful blue light and offers decent UV protection. The reflection reduction shield eliminates the annoying glare and controls the light intensity. It is a perfect fit for most football and lacrosse helmets. It can be attached by a two-clip system that allows fast and easy attachment and removal.
- 60% light transmittance
- Made from optical polycarbonate material
- Blocks harmful UV/blue light
- Perfect fit for most football and lacrosse helmets
- 2-clip system for fast attachment and removal
6. Best Scratch-Resistant: Sports Unlimited Universal Football Visor
The Sports Unlimited Universal Football Visor is made of high-quality material and designed without a center tab. This is to ensure it can fit all helmets. It has a universal clip design that fits on single-bar and double-bar face helmets. The shield has an anti-fog coating that keeps your vision from being obstructed by the changing weather. It is made from special scratch-resistant football visor material that prevents damage. The shield comes with five sticker packs for maximum customization.
- Anti-fog coating
- Universal clip design
- Five sticker packs for maximum customization
7. Best Durability: Sleefs Borealis Color Tinted Visor
The Sleefs Borealis Color Tinted Visor comes with a pair of universal clips that allow fast and easy attachment and removal. The quality material of the shield fits most football helmets. It has an anti-fog and scratch-resistant coating. This provides clarity and durability. The shield is made from optical polycarbonate material. This blocks UV and blue light. Also, its stylish design and great quality have garnered positive reviews on Amazon.
- Universal clips allow fast attachment and removal
- Fits most football helmets
- Blocks UV and blue light
8. Best Budget: Barnett Football and Lacrosse Helmet Visor
The Barnett Football and Lacrosse Helmet Visor has an anti-fog and anti-scratch coating. This ensures clarity and durability in all conditions. The shield eliminates glare and controls light intensity. It fits both youth and adult helmets. Its two-clip system allows fast and easy attachment and removal with adequate protection.
- Anti-scratch coating
- Ensures clarity and durability
- Eliminates glare and controls light intensity
- Fits both youth and adult helmets
- Two-clip system for fast attachment and removal
9. Best For Eliminating Glare: Unique Sports Eye Shield
The Unique Sports Eye Shield is made from a 3 mm thick, distortion-free polycarbonate lens. It has anti-scratch and anti-fog coatings. The shield has a precision-wrapped lens that eliminates blind spots and glare. This is an excellent choice because it fits most football helmets. It has a two-clip system that allows fast and easy attachment and removal.
- Made from distortion-free polycarbonate lens
- Eliminates blind spots and glare
- Two-clip system allows fast attachment and removal
10. Best With Zero Distortion: Schutt Sports Optics Elite Eye Shield
The Schutt Sports Optics Elite Eye Shield is made through injection-molded high-impact polycarbonate. It has an anti-scratch and anti-fog coating. The shield has zero distortion, thanks to its ideal curvature. It fits all Schutt helmets. Several reviewers on Amazon recommended this helmet as it comes with a curvature shield and clear visor for optimal clarity and performance.
- Anti-fog coating
- Zero distortion through ideal shield curvature
- Fits all Schutt helmets
- Does not fit helmets not made by Schutt
These are the top football visors for football helmets available online. Using football visors offers a couple of important benefits. We have discussed them briefly.
Benefits Of Using Football Visors
- Eye Protection – A football visor will protect your eyes from harmful UV rays while playing in the sun. UV rays may increase the risk of eye damage. A football visor impact resistance will also protect your eyes from high-impact collisions.
- Concealing Eyes – Using a visor will conceal your eyes and eye movements. This can keep your opponent from reading your eyes and predicting your next move.
There are three types of football visor styles on the market.
Types Of Football Visors
- Clear Football Visors – These visors are used to shield your eyes from damage. These could be shatter-resistant and be made from anti-fog/anti-glare material to avoid football visor fogging issues.
- Tinted Football Visors – These visors shield eyes from direct sunlight.
- Polarized Football Visors – These visors block UV rays. They also help maintain vision in hot weather conditions.
Before you purchase a football visor, it is important to know what to look for in one. The following buying guide can help.
Football visors – A Buying Guide
- Fit – Make sure the visor you are buying fits you perfectly.
- Lens – Check the peripheral view while wearing a visor. A good visor will not block your peripheral view.
- Eye Protection – Check if the visor is strong enough to protect your eyes in the case of a collision. Test this by breathing on the visor so as to create condensation and examine how quickly it dissipates. It should also be able to protect your eyes from UV rays. An anti-glare football visor or an anti-fog visor is even better.
- Certification Labels And Markings: While it may not be possible to conduct a full-impact test before purchasing the football helmet, it’s best suggested to look for certifications on the label to ensure it meets the safety requirements.
Infographic: Tips For Using A Football Visor
Worried about how to keep your eyes safe while playing? Visors are the answer. But you need to keep a few key points in mind while using this protection gear to stay safe and improve your vision on the field. Check out the infographic below to understand what these are.
Now, with the help of football visors, competitors cannot analyze your expressions during a football match or guess your next move! Some synthetic visors are durable and provide great protection amid an intense match. The Oakley Football Shield is a great choice as it is anti-fog and has top-tier quality, while the Under Armour Men’s Football Visor offers superior protection and clarity without any excess weight. But if you are looking for functionality with style then EliteTek Color Football Visor is best for you. These shields also eliminate glare and block UVA, UVB, and UVC rays providing distortion-free vision. Many visors have a shock-dampening attachment that helps in impact protection at the connection points. Steer clear of the visors that are not equipped with anti-fog or anti-scratch coating.
Chandel Stallworth, certified pilates instructor, says, “ Make sure that whichever visor you choose is backed by an accredited organization. Those have been thoroughly tested and vetted, and will be the best choices to keep you safe.”
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author, Aditi Naskar, holds a diploma in health and wellness and is a sports enthusiast. She shares tips for choosing a football visor in her buying guide based on parameters such as the fit, design, and lens for a better experience. She carefully reviewed the product details and analyzed user feedback of the most popular options on the market to create this list. These football visors will shield your eyes from the sun and protect them from impact collisions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are dark visors illegal in football?
Dark visors don’t allow the coaches or the training staff to view the face of the player. Hence, their use has been banned.
Is a football visor worth it?
Yes. Football visors protect the players’ eyes from harmful UV rays and prevent intense impact collisions.
Why are tinted visors illegal in football?
Tinted visors prevent the players from viewing the eyes of each other. Therefore, they are illegal in football.
Can you wear a football visor in the rain?
No. Skip wearing a football visor in the rain to prevent blurring your vision. Also, constantly wiping the water off the visor is irritating while playing.
Can football visors have prescriptions?
No. Companies do not manufacture prescription visors.
How to clean a football visor?
• Remove the chin strap of the helmet.
• Mix mild soap with clean water.
• Soak a washcloth in soapy water and wipe it inside and outside the visor.
• Soak another washcloth in warm water and wipe the visor again.
• Take a dry cotton washcloth and clean the visor dry.
How to remove scratches from football visors?
• Rinse the visor with soapy water.
• Use a cotton washcloth to pat the visor dry.
• Apply a few drops of eyeglass cleaning solution to the visor.
• Wipe the visor with a clean microfiber towel.
How long do football visors last?
Football visors are durable and shatterproof. They last for a long time.